Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Just bought my first handgun

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • chevyboy_0
    Junior Member
    • Sep 2008
    • 72

    Just bought my first handgun

    Just bought my first handgun tonight. Its a Springfield XD40 service in black. I'm extremely excited and I want to go shoot it now but have to wait until the 22nd to release it from its jail cell at Bass Pro Shop.


    I'm curious as to how I should go about breaking her in when I finally can pick it up. I'm also curious as to what type of mags you other XD owners like. Should I stick wth OEM mags or is there an aftermarket one that works well?

    Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2
    The Arsenal
    1. Numbers matching 1942 Mosin Nagant
    2. Remington 870 Super Magnum
    The Garage
    1. 1970 Chevelle SS

    When the Green flag drops the BS stops

    Looking for .22 rifle...
  • #2
    tacticalcity
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Aug 2006
    • 10929

    Carefully....just teasing you. There is no set breakin procedure. It is not a precision rifle that needs special treatment. You may experience more than normal malfunctions at first. Don't let the occassional failure to fire or failure to feed freak you out. New guns occassional have a few until they get totally broken in.

    I recommend taking a Defensive Handgun or Tactical Pistol I course. You will learn a lot, gain a level of competence you cannot even imagine at this point, and have a ton of fun.

    See the Competition, Action Shooting, and Training Section for a course near you. Up here in Sacramento we have Gray Ops Training www.gofast1.com. Great 1 and 2 day courses at an affordable price. The next level 1 course will be May 19, 2012, 0830 -1600 and runs $160. See their website for more details.

    There might be a similar school closer to home for you. If not Sac is not that far away. I make the drive down to your area once a month, as it's where I grew up and where all my friends and family are.
    Last edited by tacticalcity; 04-11-2012, 11:57 PM.

    Comment

    • #3
      BretByron
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2012
      • 749

      As far as I know, the only part that needs breaking in is the guide when using various hollow points. Otherwise, I'll tell you what I was told, "just go shoot the crap out of it".

      Have not used aftermarket mags so, can't comment on that.

      Enjoy!
      See ya, Bret. "Prepping like there's no tomorrow" Click here ->sigpic -------or here ->

      Comment

      • #4
        ckprax
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2011
        • 1496

        Congrats! I would field strip and clean it before shooting and then look into getting some basic training. Have fun

        Comment

        • #5
          Daniel_Sti
          Junior Member
          • Apr 2012
          • 49

          Congrats! I just purchase my first handgun as well. Springfield XD OD Green 40. my gun gets out of jail on the 21st. I think i am going to go to magnum range in rancho and shoot a bit. An then do a tactical course and maybe some 3 gun later. I hear great things about it.
          The Most Interesting Man In The World
          "He once brought a knife to a gun fight to
          even the odds."

          Comment

          • #6
            Tee Why
            Member
            • Dec 2011
            • 212

            Congrats, I've the XD9 myself.
            As for first time shooting, I recommend cleaning it first like others have said. Guns are packed with grease to preserve the metal, so it's a good idea to clean it and lube it with oil/gun lube.

            As for mags. I was lucky and got 3 factory mags for free with mail in coupon. They seem pretty high quality so I favor those. But I've no experience with after market ones though.

            One thing I'd recommend is to get traction grip decals for the grip as the plastic can get a bit slippery if your hands get a little wet.

            Good luck.

            Comment

            • #7
              fighterpilot562
              I’m Ugly and I’m Proud
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Mar 2012
              • 47071

              congrats, post a pic when you get it

              Comment

              • #8
                shooperman
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2012
                • 1854

                Congratulations. I myself own an XD-9 service and love it. I still use the OEM mags and have never had any problems with them. I never went through any kind of break in. Just went to the range and had some fun. I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. Congrats again.
                "I'd cure the whole world with one primal scream, but no one would listen" - Davey Havok

                Comment

                • #9
                  far from tactical
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2012
                  • 1381

                  Enjoy

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    CAglock20c
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2011
                    • 1038

                    congrats on your first handgun. the xd40 is definitely not a bad choice at all. I'd stick with the OEM mags as they work better than any aftermarket mags would work in my opinion. like the others said, there is no set break in procedure, however I recommend start off by running a couple boxes of factory loads through it first. just make sure you clean/oil it before AND after shooting!
                    "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."- Bobby Lee Swagger, Shooter

                    FOR SALE 01 Chevy Silverado Z71:
                    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1185601

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      SgtJT27
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2009
                      • 632

                      Congrats on the 1st Handgun. Shoot it and have fun. As far as mags stick to OEM.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1