Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

P7M8 recoil ... not quite I remember from initial try

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • high_revs
    Calguns Addict
    • Feb 2006
    • 7877

    P7M8 recoil ... not quite I remember from initial try

    so a couple of years ago, someone at the range asked the SO to try his p7m8. then he asked me to try it also. i offered we use our ammo to not use his and mines were the walmart 100rd bulk specials.

    honestly, i was so impressed due to the soft recoil it had that i've been looking for one and i managed to land it last year's fall. on initial try, i was surprised how hard it was hitting the "v" part of my hand under the slide. so much that i only got to shoot it maybe a mag only because my hand was hurting. granted, i was shooting my usp 9 and a buckmark prior. i thought, maybe if i shoot the p7m8 first just in case my hand was used to softer recoils of the usp9.

    i tried again today.. reversing the order. i was still surprised how hard it was hitting my hand's 'v' that it made the usp9 give a pillow'ish (something i thought was like an old friend's ruger 9mm after shooting my usp9 years back).

    could it be that the person who offered us to try his p7m8 had softer loads? i recall plastic cases that one would use for reloads (i think but not sure). else was it modified? (unlikely i think since this is a pretty expensive pistol and hard to find or more like they go like pancakes at a particular price range).

    i can't remember if that day I tried it first if I was shooting the glock 22 or my springfield loaded to not feel any pain on the hand and make the p7m8 feel having a softer recoil.
  • #2
    fennecfrank
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2010
    • 1787

    P7M8, for its smaller size, kicks more than your USP9, which is bigger.

    As you said, most likely, it's either 1. the person used softer loads, or 2. you shot something that kicked more than the P7M8.

    As for myself, every time I shoot, I start out with few rounds of .44 mag. Everything after that is easy and manageable.

    Comment

    • #3
      high_revs
      Calguns Addict
      • Feb 2006
      • 7877

      i think that'll be my plan next time.

      Comment

      • #4
        E__WOK
        Member
        • Oct 2005
        • 480

        Originally posted by fennecfrank
        P7M8, for its smaller size, kicks more than your USP9, which is bigger.
        The P7 is slightly heavier than the USP.
        Feedback

        Comment

        • #5
          Mr310
          Calguns Addict
          • Feb 2011
          • 5692

          When I go from .45 to 9, I feel like I'm shooting a .22.
          WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

          Comment

          • #6
            redcliff
            Calguns Addict
            • Feb 2008
            • 5676

            When I shoot any of my P7's, heat build-up, not recoil, is the limiting factor.

            Just curious if your P7m8 has many rounds through it? Could the recoil spring need replacing, or the gas piston/chamber need cleaning (gently; soaking in CLP and nylon brushes recommended). Adam at HKparts.net stocks some parts for the P7 series.
            "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
            "What we get away with isn't usually the same as what's good for us"
            "An extended slide stop is the second most useless part you can put on a 1911"

            "While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
            although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

            Comment

            • #7
              high_revs
              Calguns Addict
              • Feb 2006
              • 7877

              redcliff,

              I just shot it twice. It got it used from a second owner but it was supposedly low round count. i'll have to open her up to see the internals. i'll give it one more try but this time starting my day with the glock 22 or the 1911. see how that feels.

              Comment

              • #8
                Mr.1904
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2011
                • 3310

                If it has a "low round count" from the initial owner the gun could still be breaking in.
                "Then there are sheepdogs. The sheepdogs are the bastions of safety. The sheepdog lives solely to protect the flock and confront the wolf. They live for the opportunity to be called to duty to protect the innocent. The sheepdog has fangs and the propensity for violence but hopes that he will not have to resort to it. However, he lives for that day when he will be able to use his warrior skills and mindset to keep the wolf from harming the sheep."

                Comment

                • #9
                  redcliff
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Feb 2008
                  • 5676

                  Since you're the third owner on a pistol with a low but unknown round count, for peace of mind you might consider replacing the recoil spring on such a collectible and valuable firearm. Naturaly being an H&K the parts aren't cheap but it comes with the territory. Also, in case you weren't aware, its not recommended to use lead bullets as they can clog the gas port.

                  Thought you might enjoy this H&K advertisement from years ago if you hadn't seen it before:

                  "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
                  "What we get away with isn't usually the same as what's good for us"
                  "An extended slide stop is the second most useless part you can put on a 1911"

                  "While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
                  although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    grim1U
                    Senior Member
                    • Jun 2007
                    • 1363

                    Originally posted by redcliff
                    When I shoot any of my P7's, heat build-up, not recoil, is the limiting factor...
                    I don't own a P7 anymore, but this ^^^ was the same for me when I did. Probably one of the softest, more/most accurate 9mm I've ever fired with multiple brands of ammo.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      sammy
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2006
                      • 3847

                      If I recall correctly it is blow back operated VS recoil. This makes felt recoil much more harsh. Most of the .380 pistols such as the PPK are blow back operated which explains why they feel like a 9mm.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        redcliff
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Feb 2008
                        • 5676

                        Originally posted by sammy
                        If I recall correctly it is blow back operated VS recoil. This makes felt recoil much more harsh. Most of the .380 pistols such as the PPK are blow back operated which explains why they feel like a 9mm.
                        Yes, but it has a gas-delayed blowback operation, which allows it to use a lighter slide than a normal blowback operated pistol and also gives it less felt recoil.
                        "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
                        "What we get away with isn't usually the same as what's good for us"
                        "An extended slide stop is the second most useless part you can put on a 1911"

                        "While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
                        although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          BHPFan
                          Senior Member
                          • Oct 2007
                          • 2264

                          Originally posted by fennecfrank
                          P7M8, for its smaller size, kicks more than your USP9, which is bigger.
                          Sorry, but I didn't think that the P7 had much kick when I owned one. For its size, it's heavy and along with its low bore axis as well as its gas-delayed system, it was fairly soft shooting pistol.

                          I actually felt that it kicked a little less than an USP9. The USP9 didn't kick much either, but I felt a little more flip than with a P7.

                          I do agree with redcliff about its limiting factor is that it heats up fast.
                          They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                          ~ Benjamin Franklin

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Sugarfoot47
                            Member
                            • Mar 2005
                            • 311

                            I owned one several years ago and did notice a sharper recoil as compared to my G19 and other 9mm pistols using the same load. I let several other friends try it also and they had the same experience compared to their 9mm handguns, so it wasn't just me. It was a solid, accurate shooter though. It would start heating up under the trigger guard and would get a little uncomfortable after putting more than a few mags through it, but I think these are minor traits compared to the fact that it's a well made piece made for use as a personal defense pistol. I put about two hundred rounds through it and still sold it for more than I purchased it for, so they do hold their value well.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              high_revs
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Feb 2006
                              • 7877

                              i tried it again twice. i don't know what's going on. but the last time, it hurt again after shooting the glock 22 first. at the previous outing, i shot it indoor and i tried some rentals my friends were trying to see what they like prior to purchasing. probably just shot a m&p 9c and a glock 19. but the p7m8 did feel good and no sharp recoil towards the web of my hand.

                              i'm trying to recall if i gripped it differently, which i now need to try next time around. weird

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1