Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

speed of draw

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jasmen
    Junior Member
    • Apr 2011
    • 22

    speed of draw

    Ok As a individual that carries a handgun, how concerned are you with how fast you can draw your gun if needed in a self defense situation?


    The reason I ask is some carry their weapon down their pants like in a smart carry holster, some in a fanny pack, some have inside waist holsters that require you to first raise the gun a little before being able to grab the grip.
    108
    very important
    0%
    45
    some what important
    0%
    26
    A little important
    0%
    7
    As long as its smooth ok
    0%
    30
  • #2
    What Just Happened?
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2007
    • 2504

    I don't have a CCW, so the only time I'm drawing from a holster is during a gun game (i.e. USPSA). For self-defense, it'd be a matter of how fast I can get to my firearm.

    Comment

    • #3
      rudigan
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2011
      • 2061

      A wise dude named El Gato more than once stated that smooth is fast. So yeah, practice/focus on smooth, fast will come.
      Member & Contributor CRPA/NRA

      Comment

      • #4
        BoJackUSMC
        Calguns Addict
        • Aug 2010
        • 7091

        Smooth is fast and fast is smooth

        Comment

        • #5
          Subotai
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jun 2010
          • 11289



          I vote yes.
          RKBA Clock: soap box, ballot box, jury box, cartridge box (Say When!)
          Free Vespuchia!

          Comment

          • #6
            hayaku
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2011
            • 538

            i think the bench mark that every training class teaches as a good respectable time is to draw and fire accurately in under 2 seconds (or at least that's the time i keep hearing about over and over and over). yes you can get way faster than 2 seconds and put multiple shots on target...

            Comment

            • #7
              teflondog
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2009
              • 4011

              For ccw I think it's extremely important. If you have a slow or sloppy draw then that cancels out some of the benefit of even carrying a gun IMO.



              Last edited by teflondog; 03-09-2012, 10:43 AM.
              Originally posted by G. Michael Hopf
              Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

              Comment

              • #8
                Dark Mod
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2011
                • 4284

                In the Wild west, pretty much everyone carried in a holster. Speed was the name of the game with a single action revolver. Gunfighters were very quick

                Comment

                • #9
                  G60
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2008
                  • 3989

                  It should be of the utmost importance. Get that first shot off as quick as possible, the bad guy isn't going to wait around for you to draw.
                  "Any unarmed people are slaves, or are subject to slavery at any given moment." - Dr. Huey P. Newton

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    TMC
                    Senior Member
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 2348

                    Yeah, I'm with G60. The question seem self explainitory, if you need a gun for self defense you need it as quick as possible, end of story. The person with the first shot in a gun fight is usually the winner.
                    where are my pistol mags?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Striker
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2010
                      • 750

                      What they all said. Smooth is fast, concentrate on smooth first. Work with a timer. Gives you the surprise factor.

                      Having said that, there's also another consideration for CC, which of course is the concealment part. You have to balance the two, figure what works best for your situation and practice. Fanny pack, chest pack etc all have their places, such as if you're running, but they're exceptionally slow. Belt holster, as accessible as possible, is IMHO the best option.

                      And I don't remember who said it, but when asked about if a fast draw was important, one SME said something like in a real situation you'll have the rest of your life to do it. I'm paraphrasing and maybe someone can remember who said it and post it; but meaning of course that a slow draw could be the end of your life.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Lead Waster
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Sep 2010
                        • 16650

                        It's extremely important. Why? Because if you are drawing your gun, you have already decided that you NEED the gun. If you need the gun, you need it RIGHT NOW, so that thing had better be out and on target the SECOND you need it.

                        But, you know, don't shoot yourself in the leg while trying to draw it fast.

                        I only draw for USPSA matches, and even then, I'm slow because I don't want to disqualify or shoot myself.

                        There is also a proper technique to drawing (from strong hand side, not like miamy vice video, which I don't know about) and there is a difference when drawing from concealment (more of an IDPA thing) where you have to move your clothes away, versus USPSA/IPSC, where your holster is generally lower down and almost in your hand already before the draw AND the holster has a cut out in front so you don't even have to pull the gun UP all the way, just up a bit then forward.

                        I was taught (for USPSA, not IDPA or concealment) to draw on a count of 4;

                        1) Strong hand goes to grip the pistol, weak hand goes to belly or chest (flat against it, this is to avoid sweeping your hand as you draw)

                        2) Strong hand pulls gun out and points gun forward, with elbows in near body. I think this is so you can literally shoot from the hip if you have to. The gun moves forward to meet your weak hand and the weak hand is on the grip too. Yea, maybe this is more than on the count of 2, but this is what I was taught.

                        2.5) sweep safety off on 1911

                        3) bring gun up, finish gripping with weak hand, gun is now at eye level and you are trying to find the target in the sights

                        3.5) take the safety off your 1911 if you didn't in step 2.5!

                        4) Pull trigger

                        Note: You can break it into more steps if you like. You can take the safety off at different times. You can also change the cadence of the count, I think a problem with counting off steps is that you mentally and physically start PAUSING at each count. 1, 2, 3, 4. Steps 1,2 and 3 should be one smooth motion, not a robotic count, but you have to start somewhere.

                        Of course, that was how _I_ was taught. I'm not saying it's right, and I must admit, I'm not good at it. I'm sure there are good you-tube videos that teach this better.
                        ==================

                        sigpic


                        Remember to dial 1 before 911.

                        Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

                        There. Are. Four. Lights!

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          himurax13
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2009
                          • 3895

                          Originally posted by hayaku
                          i think the bench mark that every training class teaches as a good respectable time is to draw and fire accurately in under 2 seconds (or at least that's the time i keep hearing about over and over and over). yes you can get way faster than 2 seconds and put multiple shots on target...
                          I think 2 shots in 2 seconds within an 8" circle at 7 yards is adequate.

                          6 shots in 2 seconds while retreating in an 8" circle is far better.
                          Originally posted by Bumslie
                          HK - the best 600 dollar gun, 900 dollars can buy.
                          Originally posted by Sleighter
                          Getting legal advice from a gun salesman, is like getting medical advice from a janitor at a hospital. Both make about the same per hour and both prove that being around something all day doesn't make you an expert.

                          Lifetime NRA member.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            BunnySlayer
                            Senior Member
                            • May 2009
                            • 992

                            A fast draw is far less important than being mentally aware of your surroundings. If your so dangerously behind the curve already in a fight that the only thing between you and a dirt nap is the lightning speed of your draw, your in a lot of trouble. Better to be alert in the first place and after that smooth and clean on your draw.
                            Now having said that, a good, safe, smooth fast draw is never a bad skill to have!
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              whipkiller
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2009
                              • 3461

                              Originally posted by himurax13
                              I think 2 shots in 2 seconds within an 8" circle at 7 yards is adequate.

                              6 shots in 2 seconds while retreating in an 8" circle is far better.
                              You wouldn't be able to retreat very far...
                              Too many hobbies, Too little time.

                              Mind you, I'm 5'7", 180, with a visible Ab...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1