Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Question about a used SA Mil-Spec

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cranemech
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2010
    • 1728

    Question about a used SA Mil-Spec

    Recently jailed a SA Mil-Spec with a NM s/n. Got it for $600 OTD. The magwell shows no scratches, feed ramp is polished and bright, no scratches on gun. This is my first 1911 and don't really know much about them. I was going to purchase a RIA tactical but purchased this for a couple bucks more.

    The salesman at the LGS seemed surprised at the price.

    Comments?



    Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic.

    The question I have:

    Comparing pictures I have found online to the actual pistol it appears that the original trigger has been replaced, I didn't see an ILS keyhole and this gun also has a SS bushing. Is there a way to tell what other parts have been replaced ie: springs with different spring tension,etc. I know next to nothing about the internal workings of these 1911's. Are the aftermarket springs color coded for the different spring rates or do they have distinguishing marks? I have been reading about people changing out the mainspring for a different spring rate and I am wondering how I can tell just exactly what I have?

    Anyone in the Sac area wanna educate me on this weapon?
    Last edited by cranemech; 04-08-2012, 9:01 PM.
    "Stupid should hurt" - Armstrong and Getty show

    A lie about a wrongdoing becomes your future. The truth about a wrongdoing becomes your past. - Unknown
  • #2
    voiceoftheright
    Senior Member
    • May 2010
    • 1161

    Springs are pretty difficult to know unless you have another gun for reference. None of the springs I've swapped or replaced are color coded. Having said that, I will trade you a Sig 226 for that Milspec!
    Fallujah had become a magnet for foreign jihadists and there were several thousand in the city who had come to make martyrs of themselves, to die while killing as many Americans as possibleAt each house I said a prayer, 'Please God get me out of this one.' When I come out of the house, I thank Him, light up a cigarette and move on to the next onesigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      slick_711
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2006
      • 4400

      $600 is a great price on that gun. The NM serial # prefix means it was assembled & fitted in the US rather than Brazil, and they are better quality guns than the Brazilan Springfields (not that the Brazilian ones are bad, I love mine).

      I've seen a few Springers come from the factory with parts not normal to the Mil-Spec line, but for that one to have both an upgraded bushing & the lightweight trigger is surprising, it may have been tinkered with, or SA may have been out of parkerized bushings at the end of a production run. If it's in good shape (looks new?) and passes a function test, you got a great deal.

      As far as the recoil spring, most springs are not marked. If you have any issues with it or the spring doesn't look right you can replace it for around $12.

      Comment

      • #4
        BoJackUSMC
        Calguns Addict
        • Aug 2010
        • 7091

        Brand new? $600 is awesome deal.

        Comment

        • #5
          cranemech
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2010
          • 1728

          Thanks for the replies, guys.

          Slick: I had no idea about the significance of the NM s/n when I purchased the gun. I found out after researching the gun on the internet when I got home. When I was handling the gun, it just felt "right"

          vor: Thanks for the offer , but give me a chance to shoot this thing first.

          Bo: Technically, it is a used gun but it appears to have had little/no use.

          I neglected to mention that I called SA and they informed me that it was assembled in the U.S., in 7/08. It has a "made in Geneso(sp),IL" rollmark. They had no other records of any other work having been done.
          "Stupid should hurt" - Armstrong and Getty show

          A lie about a wrongdoing becomes your future. The truth about a wrongdoing becomes your past. - Unknown

          Comment

          • #6
            t0kie
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2008
            • 3419

            Nice score. Do you need a bushing wrench to take off the bushing? If so then you are lucky because that may be custom fitted bushing to the barrel.

            Comment

            • #7
              plsmyk
              Member
              • Jul 2007
              • 355

              My "NM" serial numbered Mil-Spec came from the factory with a stainless steel barrel bushing and a one-piece barrel. The "N" serial numbered guns at the time had a blue bushing/two piece barrel.

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1