Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Waiting for firearms eligibility check

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TLC
    Member
    • Jul 2009
    • 132

    Waiting for firearms eligibility check

    I know the paperwork for the Kalifornia firearms eligibility check says the process can take up to 3 months, but I'm curious as to how long others have had to wait
  • #2
    paul0660
    In Memoriam
    • Jul 2007
    • 15669

    Where is Kalifornia?

    What check are you talking about?
    *REMOVE THIS PART BEFORE POSTING*

    Comment

    • #3
      GunDog
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2008
      • 1821

      Believe the OP is referring to the Personal Firearms Eligibility Check that is accomplished with the submission of this form:

      NRA Life Benefactor Member
      CRPA Life Member
      VFW Life Member

      Comment

      • #4
        TLC
        Member
        • Jul 2009
        • 132

        That would be the one, yes.

        Comment

        • #5
          paul0660
          In Memoriam
          • Jul 2007
          • 15669

          Two years ago, it took 3 weeks. It was not me.
          *REMOVE THIS PART BEFORE POSTING*

          Comment

          • #6
            anthonyca
            Calguns Addict
            • May 2008
            • 6316

            I know a guy who did it twice. The first time came back ineligible and it took just over two weeks. He disputed the findings and did it again. The second time it took a few months to come back eligible.

            I would have paid money to see them write that letter.
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Union...70812799700206

            Originally posted by Wherryj
            I am a physician. I am held to being "the expert" in medicine. I can't fall back on feigned ignorance and the statement that the patient should have known better than I. When an officer "can't be expected to know the entire penal code", but a citizen is held to "ignorance is no excuse", this is equivalent to ME being able to sue my patient for my own malpractice-after all, the patient should have known better, right?

            Comment

            • #7
              TLC
              Member
              • Jul 2009
              • 132

              Where is Kalifornia?

              Alot of communist countries use the "K" where Anerucans typically use the "C." Kalifornia's gun laws definitely make me feel like I moved to a communist country.

              Comment

              • #8
                slikna99
                Member
                • Jan 2011
                • 182

                What is the point of this check?

                Comment

                • #9
                  Press Check
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2011
                  • 4879

                  Originally posted by slikna99
                  What is the point of this check?
                  It's basically the equivalent of completing DROS without a firearm, and having the check done prior to actually purchasing a firearm. I would imagine that this would apply to someone that has a blemish on their record, or has a question about their legal status in the Country, etc. Who knows.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Distro
                    Senior Member
                    • Jun 2011
                    • 812

                    Originally posted by slikna99
                    What is the point of this check?
                    Pretty sure it's the cheaper way to check if you are eligible to purchase a firearm. Going this route when you're not sure about your past is cheaper than going to the gun store and getting hit with a loss of deposit (30% of the price at times) or restocking fee in the case you are ineligible. Also avoid paying another $25 for the HSC prior to purchase.

                    And(!) the slight embarassment of having to go back to the store and getting the rest of your money back if you fail.
                    Last edited by Distro; 02-18-2012, 1:19 PM.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      rudigan
                      Senior Member
                      • Feb 2011
                      • 2061

                      About 2 weeks
                      Member & Contributor CRPA/NRA

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        paul0660
                        In Memoriam
                        • Jul 2007
                        • 15669

                        Originally posted by TLC
                        Where is Kalifornia?

                        Alot of communist countries use the "K" where Anerucans typically use the "C." Kalifornia's gun laws definitely make me feel like I moved to a communist country.
                        Spend some time in Cuba and N Korea and see if you can tell the difference between those countries and here.

                        I won't ask about Aneruca.
                        *REMOVE THIS PART BEFORE POSTING*

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          TLC
                          Member
                          • Jul 2009
                          • 132

                          Hmm...sounds like I made a mistake then. When I moved here I was told that the check was required. Sounds like I just threw away $20

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            TLC
                            Member
                            • Jul 2009
                            • 132

                            "Originally Posted by TLC
                            Where is Kalifornia?

                            Alot of communist countries use the "K" where Anerucans typically use the "C." Kalifornia's gun laws definitely make me feel like I moved to a communist country.
                            Spend some time in Cuba and N Korea and see if you can tell the difference between those countries and here.

                            I won't ask about

                            Not saying there aren't worse places, but purposely making an effort to either a. make it unreasonably difficult for law-abiding citizenry to purchase firearms or b. prevent that same law-abiding citizenry from actually carrying the firearms when they do manage to navigate those governmental obstacles...those are definitely characteristics of a communist government.

                            As for your backhanded comment...not worth my time.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              littlejake
                              Senior Member
                              • Aug 2008
                              • 2168

                              I've been waiting for 7 weeks for my COE.

                              I'm betting the PFEC takes even longer. There are no repercussions to being denied -- except if denied they want any guns turned in.

                              "I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the State of California that the foregoing is true and correct. I expressly authorize the Department of Justice to perform firearms eligibility checks of all relevant state and federal databases. I also understand that if I currently possess/own firearms and the results of this check reveal that I am ineligible to lawfully either possess or purchase firearms, I must relinquish any and all firearms in my possession."

                              The PFEC is a safe way to go if a person has some doubts. Entering into the DROS process and being denied brings the possibility of criminal charges depending on what the problem is and what CA DOJ believes the applicant should have known.
                              Last edited by littlejake; 02-19-2012, 12:36 PM.
                              Life Member NRA and 2A Foundation.
                              My posts are my own opinions and do not reflect those of any organization I am a member of.
                              Nothing I post should be construed as legal advice; if you need legal advice, see a lawyer.

                              "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
                              William Pitt (1759-1806)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1