Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Picking up my gun today

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cory_clark
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2011
    • 12

    Picking up my gun today

    Hello All,
    So I get to pick up my first handgun (Sig SP2022 40S&W) in 3 Hours! What I would like to know is if there are certain accessories that I should be picking up today as well. For example, I don't have a cleaning kit yet, ear protection, etc. I guess the real question is should I be picking these items up today or is stuff like this better picked up online?

    I'm in Diamond Bar, CA so I'm close to everything.

    Any Suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Cory
  • #2
    colossians323
    Crusader for the truth!
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Oct 2005
    • 21637

    Cleaning kit
    Ear protection
    Eye protection
    Ammo
    Spare magazines
    Gun case
    silicon rag (i know your gun is plastic, but you'll be happy you picked one up)
    LIVE FREE OR DIE!

    M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

    Originally posted by M. Sage
    I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.

    Comment

    • #3
      den888
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jul 2009
      • 10520

      Congrats!

      Comment

      • #4
        cory_clark
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2011
        • 12

        Thanks Guys.

        Now is this stuff that I should grab from Turners? Or is my money better spent online?

        Thanks,
        Cory

        Comment

        • #5
          Fishslayer
          In Memoriam
          • Jan 2010
          • 13035

          Originally posted by colossians323
          Cleaning kit
          Ear protection
          Eye protection
          Ammo
          Spare magazines
          Gun case
          silicon rag (i know your gun is plastic, but you'll be happy you picked one up)
          This about covers it. You'll find you have preferences for different stuff as you go along, otherwise there would only be one brand/make of everything.

          From Turner's I like to get CorrosionX (for sliding parts. It sets up & stays where ya put it. Very slick, too), the 10 packs of Otis brass brushes saves about 50% over buying one at a time. Patches in bulk. You'll find that some places have better deals on certain stuff. Turner's prices ar OK and if I'm already there for something else...

          Somebody on the WTS board has SIG SP2022 magazines about half what I just paid online.
          "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
          You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
          You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."


          Originally Posted by JackRydden224
          I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
          Originally posted by redcliff
          A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.

          Comment

          • #6
            appagohm
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2011
            • 1123

            Just pick up the cleaning kit and some good solution and oil. The rest you can get online. Hearing protection is usually supplied at any indoor range, i have my own set but didn't pick it up until i needed it.
            sigpic
            "Gun control is like trying
            to reduce drunk driving
            by making it tougher for
            sober people to own cars"

            Comment

            • #7
              Fishslayer
              In Memoriam
              • Jan 2010
              • 13035

              Originally posted by appagohm
              Hearing protection is usually supplied at any indoor range

              EEEEEWWWW....
              "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
              You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
              You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."


              Originally Posted by JackRydden224
              I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
              Originally posted by redcliff
              A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.

              Comment

              • #8
                ChaneRZ
                Banned
                • Aug 2011
                • 2041

                LOL yeah buy your own.

                Comment

                • #9
                  BrassCase
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Dec 2011
                  • 3192

                  You have to think of safety equipment as "personal equipment". I don't even like to share hardhats let alone hearing protection. Hearing protection is cheap and you can get it everywhere from Wal-Mart to Home Depot. Don't use foam earplugs either, get a headset.
                  I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong...
                  NRA Certified:

                  Chief Range Safety Officer
                  Instructor: Basic Pistol Shooting
                  Instructor: Personal Protection Inside the Home

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    h0use
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jul 2009
                    • 5783

                    congrats on the new pistol

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Lumpia is sarap!®
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2008
                      • 2267

                      Congrats! I recommend also taking a pistol class.
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        cory_clark
                        Junior Member
                        • Nov 2011
                        • 12

                        Thanks for the Info guys.
                        No I have a few questions regarding going to Indoor Shooting Ranges. I have always gone shooting with my Dad and that was usually at the USBP ranges in NY so we didn't have to really have things locked, inspected, and so on.
                        - So if I'm going to a range here (SoCal) what all needs to be lock? Or does anything have to be locked?
                        - As far as I know the case you carry the gun in must be locked while driving, correct? Does the same hold true for most indoor ranges?

                        Any insight into this would be great. Hoping to go put some rounds down range tomorrow

                        Thanks,
                        Cory

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Fishslayer
                          In Memoriam
                          • Jan 2010
                          • 13035

                          Originally posted by cory_clark
                          - As far as I know the case you carry the gun in must be locked while driving, correct? Does the same hold true for most indoor ranges?

                          Any insight into this would be great. Hoping to go put some rounds down range tomorrow

                          Thanks,
                          Cory
                          My pistol box is a cheapo plastic tool box that locks with a padlock. Nothing about it says "guns inside." The handguns ride inside it in those fake suede fleecy gun rugs from Big 5.

                          Most indoor ranges want your guns to be unloaded & cased.
                          "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
                          You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
                          You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."


                          Originally Posted by JackRydden224
                          I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
                          Originally posted by redcliff
                          A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            bsg
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jan 2009
                            • 25954

                            do remember to put grease on your Sig rails.

                            i'd suggest you get a large old fishing tackle box with plenty of foldout trays... for storage of cleaning and whatnot supplies. i use a very large, older UMCO tackle box for my "gun cleaning kit."

                            instead of buying a prepackaged cleaning kit, personalize your supplies to your own needs; you'll discover what you need as time goes on. invest in good quality cleaning rods and other hardware as budget permits.

                            congratulations on your Sig.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              appagohm
                              Senior Member
                              • Jan 2011
                              • 1123

                              Yeah I take a shower right after most sessions at the Range. I have those electronic ear muffs but i never brings. But after reading the "Ewwww" i might just start taking my ear muffs
                              sigpic
                              "Gun control is like trying
                              to reduce drunk driving
                              by making it tougher for
                              sober people to own cars"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1