Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

This is a serious question, don't laugh

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 909 in 916
    Member
    • Nov 2007
    • 169

    This is a serious question, don't laugh

    Does anyone use synthetic motor oil to lubricate their gun?

    Reason I ask is because on another board I had asked about the quality of the M-PRO 7 line of products and someone had responded that they use the cleaner to clean their gun but used Royal Purple motor oil to lube it.
  • #2
    mk19
    Member
    • Jul 2007
    • 366

    nope, no need, nothing clp can't lubricate and nothing a little clp and elbow greace can't clean.
    NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR

    SGT USMC OEF/OIF
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    Sigmond Freud

    Comment

    • #3
      762cavalier
      NRA Training Counselor
      CGN Contributor
      • Oct 2005
      • 3626

      yes Others use synthetic oil to lubricate.I haven't yet because I haven't run out of CLP , but will probably do so later. Synthetic oil is a great lubricant. CLP works well but its cleaning properties can be lukewarm at best.
      In any type of fight, & especially gun fights, there are no winners ..... just varying degrees of losers. The only fight you win is the one you never get into.

      sigpic
      NRA Certified Instructor
      Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety,Muzzleloading, Personal Protection Series, Chief Range Safety Officer, Refuse to be a victim Regional counselor

      Comment

      • #4
        anotherone
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2006
        • 972

        I know a guy who spent weeks working synthetic oil into a Browning pump action shotgun he uses to shoot trap. The slide is now so quick and smooth he can shoot doubles with that shotgun.

        I'm sure there are alot of applications for synthetic oil for competition shooting and shooting trap/clays. However, I would strongly advise against using synthetic oil on your field gun because it picks up dirt.

        Comment

        • #5
          909 in 916
          Member
          • Nov 2007
          • 169

          Originally posted by anotherone
          I know a guy who spent weeks working synthetic oil into a Browning pump action shotgun he uses to shoot trap. The slide is now so quick and smooth he can shoot doubles with that shotgun.

          I'm sure there are alot of applications for synthetic oil for competition shooting and shooting trap/clays. However, I would strongly advise against using synthetic oil on your field gun because it picks up dirt.
          My gun only sees daylight when I go to the range.

          Comment

          • #6
            ar15barrels
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2006
            • 57179

            Motor oil is actually a better LUBRICANT than CLP.
            CLP evaporates over time due to the solvent base.
            Use CLP right before you shoot and it's fine.
            If you want long-term lubrication so the gun is ready to grab and go, motor oil is better in that role.
            Randall Rausch

            AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
            Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
            Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
            Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
            Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

            Comment

            • #7
              kurac
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • 2917

              I have been using synthetic fishing reel oil and grease, stays put, no odor plus its clear.
              www.culinagrips.com
              "custom grips for shooters by shooters"

              Comment

              • #8
                909 in 916
                Member
                • Nov 2007
                • 169

                Nuff said. I have some Royal Purple and some Mobil1 synthetic so once I run out of Hoppe's #9 Dri-Lube, I'll start using motor oil.

                Comment

                • #9
                  bobfried
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • 1448

                  LOL!

                  You mean when I mentioned about RP in the General Gun discussion area of your post. I have two AR's, one lubricated with CLP and another with RP foillowing instructions by ADCO here:



                  If I were to give you the two (or the one lubed with RP and anything else not) and you rack that bolt it will be immediately apparent. The difference is night and day, like comparing warm butter to sheet of sand paper. This holds true for every firearms I have ever lubed with RP. It also happens to stay lubed MUCH longer and less dirty compared to CLP. Having used CLP almost exclusively for the past decade ever since I was introduced to it during Basic Training I have jumped to RP exclusively now.

                  The proof is in the performance. Lets ignore the whole "MILLIONS OF DOLLARS" in synthetic oil research and 18,000 RPM runs in racing engine and it's ability to survive an explosion in a chamber compressed 15 ATM. Some will argue that their firearms somehow sees more stress than an engine or how much the "gun companies" put into R&D of gun lube.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    damon1272
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2006
                    • 4857

                    I have used Mercon ATF. A little thinner than most motor oils, has great cleaning properties, and makes things nice and slick. Motor oil works just as well though. Personal preference.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      G17GUY
                      Senior Member
                      • Sep 2006
                      • 2343

                      CLP on thear's' and mobil 1 synthetic 15W-50 on the others
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Blue
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 8071

                        Originally posted by damon1272
                        I have used Mercon ATF. A little thinner than most motor oils, has great cleaning properties, and makes things nice and slick. Motor oil works just as well though. Personal preference.
                        I can't stand the smell of transmission fluid. Gives me heartburn
                        Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
                        Let my aim be true and my hand faster
                        than those who would seek to destroy me.
                        Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
                        Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
                        And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
                        sigpic
                        NRA Member

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          glockman19
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2007
                          • 10486

                          I have heard many guys use Mobil1 synthetic oil and swear by it.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Shane916
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Feb 2006
                            • 5004

                            Gun oil for guns and car oil for cars.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Sam Hainn
                              Senior Member
                              • Jan 2007
                              • 681

                              Be careful with motor-oils. Some petroleum detergents will remove bluing. They are meant to remove oxidation/black oxide (bluing)/red oxide (rust). I have seen several used guns where they were mostly perfect but 50% or more of the bluing was gone - the story was always the same: "Yeah, the guy cleaned/stored it in motor oil".

                              Use a good lubricant meant for firearms (I use Breakfree to clean and Tetra brand lubricants to lube). Put motor oil in your car's engine where it belongs.
                              "No throwing live ammunition into bonfires on runs."

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1