Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

357Magnum or 45LC?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • LRShooter
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2011
    • 553

    357Magnum or 45LC?

    I'm thinking about adding a Ruger Single Action to the collection, but haven't decided on the caliber yet. 357 or 45LC are the choices. Leaning towards the Vaquero. Eventually, would like to get a lever action in the same caliber.

    I reload my own stuff, and currently shoot autos in 40SW and 45ACP.

    What would you suggest? 45LC seems more western, 357 should be cheaper.
    118
    357 Magnum
    0%
    66
    45 LC
    0%
    52
  • #2
    BigDogatPlay
    Calguns Addict
    • Jun 2007
    • 7362

    .357 would also be more versatile since you can shoot .38 special in the revolver for practice. Some .357 levers are iffy on feeding the shorter .38 round FWIW.

    You'd get more pop out of heavy (180 grain) bullet in a .357 Mag than I think you'd ever get out of any .45LC given that the .45 tops out on the SAAMI spec at 14,000 PSI, while .357 Magnum tops out at 35,000 PSI.
    -- Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun

    Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

    Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison

    Comment

    • #3
      Oceanbob
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jun 2010
      • 12720

      .357 will do it. And plenty of lever guns. Ammo is less expensive but since you reload probably a mute point...

      Something interesting got me thinking the other day. I saw a Ruger Vaquero in .45 ACP.

      Now that might be fun.

      Take care
      Bob
      May the Bridges I burn light the way.

      Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

      Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).

      Comment

      • #4
        toby
        Banned
        • Jan 2010
        • 10576

        Originally posted by BigDogatPlay
        .357 would also be more versatile since you can shoot .38 special in the revolver for practice. Some .357 levers are iffy on feeding the shorter .38 round FWIW.

        You'd get more pop out of heavy (180 grain) bullet in a .357 Mag than I think you'd ever get out of any .45LC given that the .45 tops out on the SAAMI spec at 14,000 PSI, while .357 Magnum tops out at 35,000 PSI.
        If you want BOOM!!!! rather then pop! you can buy or load 45 colt's with 300 grain bullets at a modest 1200 fps if you have the disire. I think thats a bit over the old notion of the 14,000 psi.....But I never checked on it, I just shoot-em.

        Comment

        • #5
          Thomas1190
          Senior Member
          • May 2011
          • 594

          Im a big fan of the 45 Colt. I too plan on getting the Ruger New Vaquero. To me its the only round to shoot through these cowboy guns. Plus the 45 Colt is very versatile if you reload. In my Marlin 1894 Cowboy i can shoot wimpy 45s up to some really hefty 45 loads like what toby mentioned above. Besides, there were know 357s in the cowboy days

          Comment

          • #6
            bohoki
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2006
            • 20826

            38s are cheap

            Comment

            • #7
              milotrain
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2011
              • 4301

              I think it depends on what you want to do with it. I don't like scopes so I won't hunt beyond 100yards. For me that makes a .357 a great plinking and hunting cartridge. Being able to shoot .38 is not much of a boon to me as I think you'll stop reloading .38 and just load .357 to 38 powder weights.

              It's what I did (although I'm still looking for the lever gun). I have a blackhawk in .357 and I love it.
              weg: That device is obsolete now. They replaced it with wizards.
              frank: Wait a minute. There are more than one wizard? Is [are?] the wizard calibrated?

              Comment

              • #8
                21SF
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2010
                • 3491

                In some revolvers .45 lc can he loaded to modern pressures, .44 mag velocities.
                SA TRP Half rail, Glock 21SF, Spikes St-15, Ruger Alaskan .44, Saiga 7.62, GSSF Member
                Diablo Rod & Gun Club
                Originally posted by keenkeen
                "What you've just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

                Comment

                • #9
                  five.five-six
                  CGN Contributor
                  • May 2006
                  • 34928

                  normally i like apples, but oranges are nice sometimes

                  ETA, .357 is a more authentic cowboy round

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    mjmagee67
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2011
                    • 2771

                    357 is my choice, it makes a nice powerful pistol and a nice rifle round. The option for shoot 38 spc is nice and my lever gun has never had an issue eating 38 spc.
                    If you want change you have to put in your 2 cents, you can't just sit on the sidelines and whine.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      jewboy929
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2011
                      • 654

                      Since you reload the cost is difference is minimal. Go with the 45LC. More fun to shoot, more traditional cowboy load and if you get into the CAS low velocity lead RNFP the 38s have no pop and are boring. For protection, hard to argue about a 200-300gr 1000fps 45cal.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        1JimMarch
                        Senior Member
                        • Jul 2008
                        • 1803

                        Toby's "data" is severely unsafe in a New Vaquero or other gun similar in size/heft to a post-WW2 Colt SAA. You can run loads like that or a tad hotter in a large-frame Ruger SA - not a mid-frame.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          ih8ca
                          Member
                          • Apr 2010
                          • 457

                          If you are gonna get a matching lever gun. I would go with a 45 LC. Lever action .357 lever guns are near imposible to get.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Fishslayer
                            In Memoriam
                            • Jan 2010
                            • 13035

                            Originally posted by LRShooter
                            I'm thinking about adding a Ruger Single Action to the collection, but haven't decided on the caliber yet. 357 or 45LC are the choices. Leaning towards the Vaquero. Eventually, would like to get a lever action in the same caliber.

                            I reload my own stuff, and currently shoot autos in 40SW and 45ACP.

                            What would you suggest? 45LC seems more western, 357 should be cheaper.
                            .45 in the old Vaquero would be a sweet setup. The older model has a stronger frame so you coud load those .45 like they were for a Ruger.
                            "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
                            You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
                            You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."


                            Originally Posted by JackRydden224
                            I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
                            Originally posted by redcliff
                            A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              robcoe
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Apr 2010
                              • 8685

                              Originally posted by LRShooter
                              I'm thinking about adding a Ruger Single Action to the collection, but haven't decided on the caliber yet. 357 or 45LC are the choices. Leaning towards the Vaquero. Eventually, would like to get a lever action in the same caliber.

                              I reload my own stuff, and currently shoot autos in 40SW and 45ACP.

                              What would you suggest? 45LC seems more western, 357 should be cheaper.
                              Since you reload I would go with 45LC
                              Yes, I am an electrical engineer.
                              No, I will not fix your computer.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1