Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

New or lightly used 1911

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • arslin
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2011
    • 515

    New or lightly used 1911

    Hello -

    I have two options and I would like your opinion as to the better option.

    Option one is a lightly used Mil Spec Springfield. It does not look to have a lot of use. The grips have been upgraded to a very practical rubberized grip. I also like the standard sites on the Springfield. light barrel wear, and hardly noticeable idiot mark. The gun is tight, and does not rattle much.


    The other is a new RIA Tactical. The grips are not very comfortable. The main spring housing area of the handle is not comfortable. The handles look very cheap. Each would likely need to be replaced. I might also get some white-out to put dots on the sites (joke)
    An Internet reference site, with all you ever wanted to know about the M-1911 pistol, designed by the most ingenious gunsmith of all times, John Moses Browning.


    Both are in the low 500s. I know this is not a deal... but in this day and age- are there deals in guns? Seems to be a fair price for both. The SA has a 30 return for used guns, and would let me throw some lead thru it to make sure it is good. I am leaning towards it, but i also like the idea of a new gun rather than used.
    Last edited by arslin; 12-08-2011, 10:49 PM.
    "One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws."
    -MLK

    "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
    -Gandhi
  • #2
    keenkeen
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2011
    • 6782

    Originally posted by arslin
    l... but in this day and age- are there deals in guns? .
    ...Yes.

    But, I guess that was not your main question. I would go with with the SA as well.

    "But far more numerous was the herd of such, Who think too little and who talk too much." -John Dryden

    Comment

    • #3
      himurax13
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2009
      • 3895

      Well it all depends if you want a beavertail and Novak Cut Rear sights. If you like the Springfield, spend a little more and get a used Loaded Model. I like my RIA Tactical, my only real complaint is that the Novak Rear Sight cut is just a tad shorter then it should be which required a bit more filing and sanding to get my 10-8 sight to fit.
      Originally posted by Bumslie
      HK - the best 600 dollar gun, 900 dollars can buy.
      Originally posted by Sleighter
      Getting legal advice from a gun salesman, is like getting medical advice from a janitor at a hospital. Both make about the same per hour and both prove that being around something all day doesn't make you an expert.

      Lifetime NRA member.

      Comment

      • #4
        arslin
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2011
        • 515

        The RIA has the larger ejection port right? How important is that?
        "One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws."
        -MLK

        "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
        -Gandhi

        Comment

        • #5
          t0kie
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2008
          • 3419

          I have never own RIA so I don't know about it, but you can't go wrong with a Springer.

          Comment

          • #6
            9mmepiphany
            Calguns Addict
            • Jul 2008
            • 8075

            The main difference, if you're not going to change anything, is the beavertail grip safety and the sights on the RIA.

            If you are looking at changing things later, be aware that:

            1. that isn't an accurate Novak sight cut and aftermarket sights designed to fit a Novak sight cut won't fit the RIA without additional fitting.

            2. other ambidextrous safeties won't fit the RIA , as they don't use the left grip panel to retain the left side lever.

            3. The grips on the RIA are very thick...it is almost like they use pre-checkered panels
            ...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's Tale

            Comment

            • #7
              arslin
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2011
              • 515

              Originally posted by 9mmepiphany
              The main difference, if you're not going to change anything, is the beavertail grip safety and the sights on the RIA.

              If you are looking at changing things later, be aware that:

              1. that isn't an accurate Novak sight cut and aftermarket sights designed to fit a Novak sight cut won't fit the RIA without additional fitting.

              2. other ambidextrous safeties won't fit the RIA , as they don't use the left grip panel to retain the left side lever.

              3. The grips on the RIA are very thick...it is almost like they use pre-checkered panels
              I'll be honest... I only understood a bit of that. I am hoping to not make much changes. I would like a raised magazine button if I get the Springfield. Otherwise, I would like to keep as is.
              "One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws."
              -MLK

              "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
              -Gandhi

              Comment

              • #8
                9mmepiphany
                Calguns Addict
                • Jul 2008
                • 8075

                The usefulness of an extended magazine release is over blown...the exception is in a full on competition gun. It wasn't designed to be within reach of the strong thumb while the hand is in the Master grip.

                I'd be happy to explain whatever wasn't clear, you just have to ask which you specifically didn't understand
                ...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's Tale

                Comment

                • #9
                  gibt
                  Member
                  • Jul 2009
                  • 174

                  Go with the Springfield. It's a good platform to start with if you ever want to build a custom 1911.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1