Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

.38 Special +P

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • neomedic
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • 3276

    .38 Special +P

    How does this round compare to a 9mm in terms of ballistics. Don't know much about this round. Shot a friend's revolver and was thinking maybe I should pick one up for plinking.

    Would you trust this round for self defense? Or just use for plinking?

    Thanks.
  • #2
    billybob_jcv
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2011
    • 1507

    Why would you shoot a +P round for plinking? I want less power when plinking, not more - but, I've never liked recoil...

    Why not just buy a .357 Mag revolver, then you can shoot anything from light mouse fart .38s to planet buster .357s.
    He who exercises no forethought but makes light of his opponents is sure to be captured by them.
    -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

    I say thank God for government waste. If government is doing bad things, it's only the waste that prevents the harm from being greater.
    -Milton Friedman

    What kind of government do you guys got here? This is worse than California.
    -Woody Allen, Sleepers

    Comment

    • #3
      neomedic
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • 3276

      Only .38 and not 357 because my friend wants to sell his S&W 438. He needs some cash and wants to sell at about $100 less than is being sold at stores.

      So...if I get it, want to know if I can use it for self defense if I really need to. Or would this just be a range toy.

      Comment

      • #4
        Turo
        Calguns Addict
        • May 2009
        • 5066

        Originally posted by neomedic
        How does this round compare to a 9mm in terms of ballistics. Don't know much about this round. Shot a friend's revolver and was thinking maybe I should pick one up for plinking.

        Would you trust this round for self defense? Or just use for plinking?

        Thanks.
        Compared to a 9mm, a 38 special +P throws lead at lower velocities (think 800 to 1000 fps vs 1200 to 1400 for 9mm) but often uses heavier bullets (158gr vs 115 and 147gr for 9mm.)

        On average, 9mm is superior energy-wise because it goes a heck of a lot faster, but that's not to discount the ability of the 38 special.

        I agree with the other posters though, if you're going to get a wheel gun, get one chambered in 357 mag and load 38 specials in it when you want less recoil and/or cost.

        Oh and just for comparison, 357 mag kicks 9mm butt ballistically.


        Just saw your last post about 38 +P only. Yes, 38 special is a good round for self defense. It's carried by thousands daily and has worked for defense for over a hundred years. It's not what I would prefer, but in lieu of a semi-auto in 40 or 9mm, I would gladly carry a 38 +P for personal defense.
        Last edited by Turo; 11-08-2011, 11:31 PM.
        "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."
        -Thomas Jefferson

        Comment

        • #5
          sk8804
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2010
          • 721

          If you practice enough some gold dot .38 +p will be plenty to get the job done.

          Comment

          • #6
            Paradiddle
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2003
            • 1743

            38s been killing people for a LONG time in this country. The old 38 loads were much hotter then todays and are probably closer to 38+p. I'd have no reservation relying on one to save my families or my life.

            Comment

            • #7
              Fishslayer
              In Memoriam
              • Jan 2010
              • 13035

              125gr JHP @ 1,000+ FPS is gonna leave a mark...
              "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
              You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
              You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."


              Originally Posted by JackRydden224
              I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
              Originally posted by redcliff
              A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.

              Comment

              • #8
                Turo
                Calguns Addict
                • May 2009
                • 5066

                Originally posted by Paradiddle
                38s been killing people for a LONG time in this country. The old 38 loads were much hotter then todays and are probably closer to 38+p. I'd have no reservation relying on one to save my families or my life.
                I don't have anything else to say about the OP's topic, but I wanted to say that your user name is awesome! It seems like nobody nowadays knows anything about percussion technique.

                right left right right, left right left left.... Dangit, now I need to get my sticks and practice LOL.
                "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."
                -Thomas Jefferson

                Comment

                • #9
                  Brass Pile
                  Junior Member
                  • Nov 2011
                  • 16

                  .38 spl+P is an acceptable SD round, but there are certainly better options out there. If your buddy is off-loading a quality S&W at low cost and you can pick it up, do so. Shoot the gun a lot, become familiar with it and enjoy it. But don't let it be your end all gun. By which I mean, if you want a fun plinking gun, get a .22; they don't cost much compared to their centerfire counterparts. Or even use the .38spl to plink while looking for something more substantial for SD/HD.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    neomedic
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • 3276

                    Hmmm....maybe I should pick up the revolver then since the round is acceptable to self defense.

                    Wasn't really thinking about getting one. But the price is pretty good. I guess it would make a nice pocket gun.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Bruce
                      Senior Member
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 2183

                      As the owner of a 438, I'd recommend you practice with standard loads and not +P rounds. Being an airweight, you will be quickly dissuaded from plinking if you use +P's. If you decide to buy your friend's piece, you'll have quality self defense handgun.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        ap3572001
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Jun 2007
                        • 6039

                        I use a Hydra Shock 147+P+ in my K frame revolvers.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Marlin Hunter
                          Senior Member
                          • Mar 2010
                          • 586

                          Originally posted by neomedic
                          How does this round compare to a 9mm in terms of ballistics. Don't know much about this round. Shot a friend's revolver and was thinking maybe I should pick one up for plinking.

                          Would you trust this round for self defense? Or just use for plinking?

                          Thanks.
                          A 9mm has more power. If you are plinking, you may want wad cutters which are loaded lighter than regular 38 special rounds. The 38+p was designed to give small 38 (only) revolvers a little more umph. Now, people just get a 357mag if they want more power.

                          If you only buy new ammo, and don't reload your own, the cheapest caliber for plinking is either the 22LR or 9mm.
                          *
                          *
                          *

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            vmwerks
                            Norcal Cyclist
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Jun 2009
                            • 3502

                            Originally posted by neomedic
                            How does this round compare to a 9mm in terms of ballistics. Don't know much about this round. Shot a friend's revolver and was thinking maybe I should pick one up for plinking.

                            Would you trust this round for self defense? Or just use for plinking?

                            Thanks.

                            Learn how to shoot defensively - place you shots correctly and it'll stop as good as anything else. Use Hornady Critical defense ammo for SD. You should always shoot your SD rounds at least once in a while so it won't surprise you over your plinking rounds.

                            I put about 50 to 100 rounds through my carry gun every week. It's a 9mm and I've got no worries about stopping someone or something. My backup carry is a 637 with Critical Defense SD ammo.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              neomedic
                              Veteran Member
                              • Oct 2006
                              • 3276

                              Originally posted by Marlin Hunter
                              A 9mm has more power. If you are plinking, you may want wad cutters which are loaded lighter than regular 38 special rounds. The 38+p was designed to give small 38 (only) revolvers a little more umph. Now, people just get a 357mag if they want more power.

                              If you only buy new ammo, and don't reload your own, the cheapest caliber for plinking is either the 22LR or 9mm.

                              I will use lighter loads for plinking. I was just wondering if the .38+P was a good self defense round because I never looked into it since I never thought of getting one. But a friend wants to get rid of his little revolver and gave me first crack at it so it got me thinking.

                              The question originally was not that I'm going to use .38+P for plinking but if it was a good self defense round or is that round only good for plinking since people won't trust it as a self defense round.

                              But from the replies, it looks like it can be a viable option and this little revolver would make a good pocket gun.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1