Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

.44 fun

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • savasyn
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2007
    • 3201

    .44 fun

    I just picked up a new Ruger Alaskan in .44 Mag so I took it and a couple of my other .44s to the range today for some big bore fun. This is my first Ruger and so far, I'm pretty impressed with it. While the trigger is not as slick as the Smith, it really isn't that bad and there is no question that this frame and grip tame the recoil of hot .44 Mags WAY more than the 629.

    I usually wear a glove when shooting the 629, but didn't today and true to form, I have a huge blister on the top of my trigger finger from where it gets slammed by recoil. No such problems with the Ruger, seems you could shoot that nearly all day if you could afford to.

    I also brought along my Charter Bulldog as, contrary to popular opinion, I actually like this little gun quite a bit. It's certainly a step down in quality from the other fine companions I had today, but it is still really fun too shoot.

    What's really interesting is shooting .44 Specials out of the Alaskan after some hot Magnums, they feel like little .22s and you definitely discover how bad a flinch you have on the first few.

    Good times. I look forward to more trips with the Alaskan in the near future.

    Ruger Alaskan, Charter Arms Bulldog and S&W 629


    Last edited by savasyn; 11-05-2011, 6:18 PM.
  • #2
    sfhondapilot
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2011
    • 666

    How was the accuracy of the Ruger vs the S&W?
    David

    Comment

    • #3
      NapaCountyShooter
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2009
      • 2417

      Nice. I pick up my .454 on Monday. Looking forward to it.
      Jonah

      Comment

      • #4
        Adam25
        Member
        • Sep 2011
        • 350

        Beautiful...

        Comment

        • #5
          savasyn
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2007
          • 3201

          Hehe, I saw a .454 Alaskan in the case at Turners today and mentally wished whoever bought it good luck. Even with the positive experience I had today with some decent .44 Mags, I too don't think I need anything a full step up the power ladder(at this time...)

          Comment

          • #6
            savasyn
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2007
            • 3201

            Originally posted by sfhondapilot
            How was the accuracy of the Ruger vs the S&W?
            Hard to say really. I'm used to shooting my 629 with gloves and can do a decent job of getting ok groups. Without gloves today, I was all over the place with the Smith and I was still getting used to the Ruger's trigger. In this case, I'd say that I grouped with the Ruger better but that was mostly due to it not punishing my trigger finger like the Smith does.

            I expect them to be about the same in my hands once I have more time behind the Alaskan.

            Comment

            • #7
              NapaCountyShooter
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2009
              • 2417

              Originally posted by savasyn
              Hehe, I saw a .454 Alaskan in the case at Turners today and mentally wished whoever bought it good luck. Even with the positive experience I had today with some decent .44 Mags, I too don't think I need anything a full step up the power ladder(at this time...)
              C'mon. From what I hear it makes 45 LC feel like .38 special.
              Jonah

              Comment

              • #8
                kmca
                Senior Member
                • Oct 2005
                • 2371

                You ought to try 44 Russisn

                Comment

                • #9
                  redcliff
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Feb 2008
                  • 5676

                  The .44's are some of my favorite revolver rounds, especially .44 special. I don't feel the need to punish myself and take a lesson in flinching too often so I don't shoot many 44 magnums and therefore my 29's/629's work well for me since I really like the handling of the N-frame Smiths.

                  I like everything about the Alaskans except the aesthetics and overall size but it definitely helps in the recoil department and they're beasts for strength.
                  "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
                  "What we get away with isn't usually the same as what's good for us"
                  "An extended slide stop is the second most useless part you can put on a 1911"

                  "While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
                  although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    24Sailor
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2011
                    • 937

                    I've only shot a Super Redhawk once. Seemed like a nice gun. A big improvement over the old single action Blackhawk .44 I owned years ago. That thing would rattle apart after firing a box of ammo. Had to carry a tool kit with it to tighten all the screws (clear nail polish used as lock-tight did help a little). I sold it and purchaced a S&W 29-2 8 3/8" which I still have and love. My S&W issue is the grip I use free hand shooting. I jam my middle finger behind the trigger guard to stabilize and it begins to get sore after several rounds sometimes. Have shot friends DE's and Anacondas a bit but they're shorter and don't require this technique. For me, my 29 is the most accurate of all the 44's I've shot. I reload so I pretty much only shoot magnum rounds anymore.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Steve-O
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • 721

                      savasyn - I have a very similar 629 (Trailboss) and have found that the Hogue grips like one on yours, whilst feeling great in the hand, were not ideal at taming recoil. I think it has something to do with that exposed backstrap slapping the palm of your hand. I put some compact Pachmayr grips on it, very similar to those on the Bulldog in your pic. Those things, despite being smaller without finger grooves, made my .44 much easier to shoot. Obviously, felt recoil is a very subjective affair, thought I would share my experience.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        savasyn
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2007
                        • 3201

                        Originally posted by Steve-O
                        savasyn - I have a very similar 629 (Trailboss) and have found that the Hogue grips like one on yours, whilst feeling great in the hand, were not ideal at taming recoil. I think it has something to do with that exposed backstrap slapping the palm of your hand. I put some compact Pachmayr grips on it, very similar to those on the Bulldog in your pic. Those things, despite being smaller without finger grooves, made my .44 much easier to shoot. Obviously, felt recoil is a very subjective affair, thought I would share my experience.
                        Thanks for then input! Interestingly, I don't find the open backstrap to be that much of a problem, or at least while shooting it(my palm is a bit sore today.) I don't experience that being punishing while at the range. That said, perhaps a grip that covers the backstrap would fill my hand better and relocate how my finger sits on the trigger thus eliminating the blister problem. Grips are cheap so it's definitely worth a try!

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          bsg
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2009
                          • 25954

                          i'm sure that your Charter Arms Bulldog insisted on getting in the picture with the big kids. LOL. it's a little bully; old school umph.

                          congratulations on your new Ruger Alaskan.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            GM4spd
                            Calguns Addict
                            • May 2008
                            • 5682

                            Nothing like a 44 MAGNUM---great cartridge, with superb accuracy, (whether
                            loaded up or down.) Pete






                            Last edited by GM4spd; 11-06-2011, 5:38 PM.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              SDM44
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2010
                              • 3903

                              I really want a .44 Magnum or .454 snubby (Alaskan). I have no use for it, but really want it because it's so cool looking, a mean caliber, and would be fun to shoot

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1