Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Tax on DROS?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mnh327
    Member
    • Aug 2010
    • 303

    Tax on DROS?

    Are we supposed to be paying tax on DROS?
  • #2
    MXRider
    Banned
    • Feb 2010
    • 2927

    Not sure but I did on my last purchase.

    Comment

    • #3
      Librarian
      Admin and Poltergeist
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Oct 2005
      • 44689

      May I charge sales tax on the DROS fees?

      No. On January 1, 1999, the state Board of Equalization ruled that the DROS fees are not subject to retail sales tax. Firearms dealers licensed pursuant to Penal Code section 12071 shall not charge sales tax on the DROS fees. Questions regarding firearms transfer fees can be directed to the DOJ through this website or by calling (916) 263-4887. Questions regarding sales tax can be made to the California Board of Equalization at its website www.boe.ca.gov.
      http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs.php#40G
      ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

      Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

      Comment

      • #4
        CrazyPhuD
        Member
        • Jun 2010
        • 458

        Wow CA actually says something isn't subject to sales tax? I would have almost guessed that if they could have they would have made sales tax subject to sales tax.

        Comment

        • #5
          Bert Gamble
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2011
          • 3230

          No taxes on fees. That is pretty good.

          Imagine if they taxed taxes. It could go on indefinately.

          Oops, don't want to give any ideas.
          WARNING: This post will most likely contain statements that are offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense, and or maturity.

          Satire: A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
          _____________________________________________

          Comment

          • #6
            Anchors
            Calguns Addict
            • Apr 2010
            • 5940

            Considering the DROS fee will essentially become a tax on January 1st, they better not be taxing the tax.

            Comment

            • #7
              gibt
              Member
              • Jul 2009
              • 174

              Thanks for the info. I've seen shops try it in the past.

              Comment

              • #8
                mnh327
                Member
                • Aug 2010
                • 303

                Definitely paid tax on last DROS.

                What's the recourse?

                Comment

                • #9
                  NytWolf
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2010
                  • 3935

                  Not only did I pay tax on DROS, I paid DROS for both, when I bought a handgun and a rifle at the same time, same place. This was 6 years ago when I didn't know better. Just checked my receipt the other day.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    CK_32
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Sep 2010
                    • 14369

                    Yea a shop tried pulling that on me a while back I said I don't need the rifle that much and bought the same rifle down the street.
                    For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

                    What's Your Caliber??


                    My Youtube channel

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      VL221
                      Senior Member
                      • Sep 2011
                      • 1449

                      No tax for DROS nor HSC.
                      \

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Distro
                        Senior Member
                        • Jun 2011
                        • 812

                        Originally posted by NytWolf
                        Not only did I pay tax on DROS, I paid DROS for both, when I bought a handgun and a rifle at the same time, same place. This was 6 years ago when I didn't know better. Just checked my receipt the other day.
                        This is completely standard if not the law. Handgun is it's own DROS, rifles can be multiple on one form.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          billybob_jcv
                          Senior Member
                          • Jul 2011
                          • 1507

                          How magnanimous of the State to not charge tax on a State mandated fee...
                          He who exercises no forethought but makes light of his opponents is sure to be captured by them.
                          -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

                          I say thank God for government waste. If government is doing bad things, it's only the waste that prevents the harm from being greater.
                          -Milton Friedman

                          What kind of government do you guys got here? This is worse than California.
                          -Woody Allen, Sleepers

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1