I was at Turner's yesterday and they had a brand new one sitting right there in the cabinet. Man, I've been itching to get this fine gun for a long time but....the price tag, ugh! $1800 otd!! At that price level what other kinds of 1911's should I be looking at? Are there any that are better, and why?
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Dan Wesson CBOB...worth it?
Collapse
X
-
They were worth if a few years ago when they were 900 they are not worth it at $1800. Better ofF with a true custom at that price. -
Maybe I'm just a cheap b@stard (ok, not "maybe", I am!), but once you get North of $1K-1.5K for a handgun, I think "worth it" is no longer the correct criteria. Those aren't "value" purchases. You're really just trying to rationalize the purchase - if you want it and you can afford it - then you have satisfied the only requirements needed to buy it!He who exercises no forethought but makes light of his opponents is sure to be captured by them.
-Sun Tzu, The Art of War
I say thank God for government waste. If government is doing bad things, it's only the waste that prevents the harm from being greater.
-Milton Friedman
What kind of government do you guys got here? This is worse than California.
-Woody Allen, SleepersComment
-
Eh, you're probably right but I'm actually leaning towards thinking it's too expensive for what it is. I dislike the fact that DW jacked up their prices last year. I just wanted to know the thoughts of others on here.Maybe I'm just a cheap b@stard (ok, not "maybe", I am!), but once you get North of $1K-1.5K for a handgun, I think "worth it" is no longer the correct criteria. Those aren't "value" purchases. You're really just trying to rationalize the purchase - if you want it and you can afford it - then you have satisfied the only requirements needed to buy it!Comment
-
1800 is a lot. While the Dan Wessons are Semi-Customs, I would just save an extra couple hundred and get an Ed Brown. Just me though. Although I have heard awesome things about the DW Valors.. (flame suit on) they are better than the TRPs and similar in price?Comment
-
-
I am a fan of DWs guns, but at $1800 for CBOB, I'd suggest get something else.I was at Turner's yesterday and they had a brand new one sitting right there in the cabinet. Man, I've been itching to get this fine gun for a long time but....the price tag, ugh! $1800 otd!! At that price level what other kinds of 1911's should I be looking at? Are there any that are better, and why?
For an equivalent amount or less, I'd get a Springfield Armory TRP or the Trophy Match-----that's just me, of course. Others may have their own preference.Comment
-
The only reason the DW CBOB is $1,800.00 in state is because of the closed CA market. I bought the CBOB and PM 7 new when each was about $950.00. That was a few years back, figure with the usual cost of everything going up they ought to be an "about $1,100.00" gun. I like mine alot, I think they are great guns, very solid. But at $1,800.00 your throwing about $700.00 into the deal that's being reflected in the process and not the product.GOA Member & SAF Life MemberComment
-
Exactly.Maybe I'm just a cheap b@stard (ok, not "maybe", I am!), but once you get North of $1K-1.5K for a handgun, I think "worth it" is no longer the correct criteria. Those aren't "value" purchases. You're really just trying to rationalize the purchase - if you want it and you can afford it - then you have satisfied the only requirements needed to buy it!Comment
-
The older guns were rougher in the fit and finish
Older CBOB frontstrap checkering:

2009 & 2010 frontstrap checkering:
That being said, with the nicer fit and finish they were reasonable up until about the $1100 level (2009 price).
At $1800, I think you are much better served with other choices (you are damn near approaching the real deal):
Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,631
Posts: 25,149,871
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,889
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 19759 users online. 148 members and 19611 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment