Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

A Refreshing Thread For Revolver Fans

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jdg30
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2009
    • 1095

    A Refreshing Thread For Revolver Fans

    I've been meaning to write a thread like this for some time now. It seems like the majority of CA handguns threads are about 1911 this, Glock that, autoloader this, problem with autoloader that. This thread is a little different because it has nothing to do with autoloaders and nothing to do with problems with function.

    I like autoloaders and have a quite a few of them. I have a variety of Glocks in different calibers and also an excellent Dan Wesson CBOB 1911. I've bought and sold and have no desire to get rid of the autoloaders I have now. Over the years I've obtained almost all the pistols I desire and definitely more than I'll ever need. The conclusion I've come to is that if I ever had to get rid of one type of handgun and keep the other style I'd choose Revolvers exclusively.

    I'm fortunate to have my CCW for a couple years now and have switched around quite a few guns on my permit. I've recently come to decide which guns I shoot the best and which ones I carry the most and it turns out they are all revolvers. I shoot at least every weekend and also during the week. I enjoy shooting my revolvers the most. I reload so ammo price isn't that much of an issue; if I didn't reload I would either be broke or not be able to shoot as often.

    My latest CCW choices are a S&W 686+ 2.5" (.357), S&W 640 (.357) and Ruger SP101 (.357). I've gone back and forth between autoloaders and revolvers but I know that I shoot revolvers best and like the advantages of them. I prefer all steel revolvers since they are enjoyable to shoot and are actually pleasant to carry once you get used to it. I carried an airweight j-frame a lot, but when it came down to practicing, I finally realized I enjoy shooting steel j-frames better so that is what I chose.

    Recently I replaced my well-liked Glock 36 with the S&W 686+ and S&W M&P 340 with a steel S&W 640. I've been carrying the 686 2.5" a lot IWB and have shot about 800 rounds through it so far. None of my revolvers have had any malfunctions. They shoot tight groups and I really enjoy shooting them. I like that I don't have to pick up my ejected brass after firing. I've smoothed up some of the internal parts on my revolvers and they have excellent smooth triggers. I also installed tritium front night sights on all 3 carry revolvers to be able to see the barrel in low light/at night.

    I enjoy shooting my autoloaders but the more I shoot revolvers the more I know that they are my favorite type of gun. I'm not trying to say that auto fans are wrong, but I think many people overlook one of the best type of handguns ever made and rely on magazine capacity over skill in shooting a proven reliable platform.

    Here's some pics:

    Current CCW setup: S&W 686+ 2.5", Ruger SP101, S&W640 (each has Badger boot grips)


    Another view:


    Most of my revolvers, from top down left to back up on right side; S&W 642, 325 Nightguard (.45acp), 686+, Ruger SP101, S&W 640, Ruger GP100, S&W 625 (.45acp), and S&W M&P 340
    Last edited by jdg30; 03-31-2013, 10:02 AM.
  • #2
    Revoman
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2007
    • 2395

    Always been a revolver guy, heck that's my name....ever so good and reliable is the revolver!

    Comment

    • #3
      smattenson
      Member
      • Dec 2010
      • 455

      I just wanna say very beautiful revolvers and beautiful choices! I am loving the wood grip's you have on some of them, great taste truly. I own a glock 19 and still love revolvers as well o no now ill burn right? . Seriously though great collection
      Last edited by smattenson; 09-25-2011, 9:11 PM.

      Comment

      • #4
        bwiese
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Oct 2005
        • 27621

        Revolvers rock. I have a ton myself.

        The older I get the more I lean to revolvers over autoloaders.

        Bill Wiese
        San Jose, CA

        CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member
        sigpic
        No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
        to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
        ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
        employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
        legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

        Comment

        • #5
          shamu415
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2008
          • 682

          I think its the classic look, reliability, and something different that gravitates me towards a revolver. Thanks for sharing !

          Comment

          • #6
            Aircraftman
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2008
            • 536

            Couldn't agree with you more, except where are the Colts?

            My CCW is a mid 70's Cobra (so light you hardly know its there) and when I want to show off a snubbie Diamondback (just like Frank Bullitt).

            Great thread, thanks!!

            Comment

            • #7
              ckprax
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2011
              • 1496

              I love revolvers, especially S&W's. I am young but grew up shooting wheelguns so that is where my heart lies. I appreciate the benefits of the autoloaders and own a couple, but my go to guns for the range and HD are revolvers.

              I have a long wish list which includes some autoloaders; I always end up crossing a revolver off the list. They are beautiful, have character, works of art and seem to have a soul. An autoloader is simply a tool.

              Comment

              • #8
                bsg
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jan 2009
                • 25954

                thank you for sharing, and showing your revolvers; i enjoyed!

                Comment

                • #9
                  Snapping Twig
                  Senior Member
                  • Jun 2007
                  • 2108

                  Revolvers are inherently:

                  More powerful

                  More accurate

                  More reliable

                  As compared to auto loaders.

                  Not saying auto loaders aren't powerful, accurate or reliable. What I am saying is that revolvers are chambered in more powerful calibers, have fixed barrels for accuracy and are simple in operation with fewer moving/indexing parts.

                  I have an old W. German P220, a good 1911 commander and a Ruger Mk II and I admire each of them and enjoy using them, but I have LOT of revolvers and most are in magnum calibers and all but a couple start with a 4.

                  For woods use, a revolver gets the nod every time. Big chunks of lead at moderate to high velocity, accurately delivered - good stuff.

                  For urban duties, I like an auto loader in 45acp. Slim and easily concealed, fast to draw, good on follow-up shots, large chunks of lead at moderate velocity - ideal.

                  If I had to choose one over the other, I'd always fall on the revolver side.
                  Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Dark Mod
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2011
                    • 4284

                    Revolvers have more moving parts, and are much more complicated. Id like to see a revolver pitted against a glock in terms of reliability too. But i do agree with you as far as cartridge choice is concerned.

                    I think they have their place but ive never considered them more acurate or more reliable than an autoloader.

                    Im a big revolver fan who owns several revolvers and not a single glock

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      kunho
                      Junior Member
                      • Aug 2011
                      • 44

                      I have a Rossi 2" M-68 as well as my Glock 19, love them both for different reasons

                      Click above for pictures.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        davbog44
                        Senior Member
                        • Aug 2009
                        • 520

                        Thanks for reminding me what a bonehead I am for parting with the two S&W Model 19s I have owned and foolishly let go over the years.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          bombadillo
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Nov 2007
                          • 14810

                          The more I've gotten into handguns, its been a real quandry for me. While I love autoloaders, I am more and more appreciating a great trigger over much else. I love everything about revolvers with the exception of round capacity. My concealed gun is a Ruger LC9 which is 8+1 so really no more than you're carrying for the most part, and nothing to worry about except something getting jammed up in the hammer or the wheel. My next gun is going to be a blued 6" Ruger GP100 with adjustable sights so my wife can shoot light load .38sp out of it. I had a Colt Trooper .357 4" that I wish I had never sold. It was absolutely the poor man's python. LOVED the trigger on that thing. Sold my super redhawk and wish I hadn't. Can't wait to get a new .357 and .44mag in a revolver and those will be my next two.

                          Lots of people will tell me NO, DON'T DO IT, but I'm going to try the raging bull in .44mag and see how she shoots. If nothing else, I'll sell it if I don't like it, and get another super redhawk.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Full Clip
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Dec 2006
                            • 10266

                            Originally posted by bwiese
                            The older I get the more I lean to revolvers over autoloaders.
                            Same, probably because I not longer want to bend over to pick up brass...
                            But also because I now better appreciate reliability and accuracy over speed and capacity...

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              OC-Indian
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2010
                              • 573

                              I'm still waiting on the "right" deals for both a .45ACP and the S&W HP 8 shot .357 mag

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1