Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Bug out gun for bug out vehicle

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • californa
    Member
    • Mar 2010
    • 375

    Bug out gun for bug out vehicle

    So with all the crazy weather and unstable economy and surge in violent crimes in my area my girlfriend and I thought it would be a good idea to get a bug out vehicle.We both have small cars. I have been considering buying a used small SUV and keeping it loaded with water,food and medical supplies. I also want to possibly keep it small inexpensive handgun (.22 or .32) hidden in it (under the spare tire). Would this be a good idea? I of course would have the gun and mags in a locked case with ammo store separately. I would not drive the vehicle much. I would want to keep the gun in the vehicle at all times. Does this sound like a good idea or am I a nut? Any one else doing the same?
    Attached Files
  • #2
    Gary13
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 1523

    Initial thought is, I would go with a hard topped vehicle, and if you want to stick with .22, a better quality one like a Buckmark or Ruger. Also consider a revolver.

    Comment

    • #3
      djleisure
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2008
      • 4734

      Originally posted by Gary13
      Initial thought is, I would go with a hard topped vehicle, and if you want to stick with .22, a better quality one like a Buckmark or Ruger. Also consider a revolver.
      Yeah, if you're going to leave a gun in your vehicle at all times (which is not a big deal, I do) then you really should have a hard top on it. Unless you are just storing it in a garage until the "end of days." Also, to clear this up for the 1000th time you do NOT need to keep ammo stored separately from the gun. As long as the magazine is NOT in the gun, it can be fully loaded and taped to the side of it, or more wisely, just set next to it in a "ready to load" fashion. Keeping the gun and mags in an inconspicuous locked box that is also secured to the vehicle is a good idea as well.
      ------------------------------------------------------------
      iTrader protip: When I buy something from you and I immediately pay, then my part is done. That's all I have to do. You can leave me iTrader feedback and go on with your life. When I get the item, I will leave you iTrader feedback, assuming you've already done your part. See how that works?

      Comment

      • #4
        Uriah02
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2009
        • 3149

        Samurais are awesome, I've seen and been off roading in them in places a pimped out wrangler couldn't go. Depending on where you plan to bug out is what would matter for your vehicle/weapon of choice. With a Samurai you should be going into the woods, that being the case, you'd probably be better off with a rifle. If you are already at the point which you want to have a dedicated bug out vehicle with supplies, I have the feeling you haven't read up too much on bugging out.
        sigpic
        OIF 07-09 Veteran
        NRA Endowment Member, CRPA Life Member

        Comment

        • #5
          epcii
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2011
          • 637

          Your girlfriend agreed to this? She's a keeper.
          sigpic
          Ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders
          NRA Member

          Comment

          • #6
            californa
            Member
            • Mar 2010
            • 375

            Originally posted by Uriah02
            Samurais are awesome, I've seen and been off roading in them in places a pimped out wrangler couldn't go. Depending on where you plan to bug out is what would matter for your vehicle/weapon of choice. With a Samurai you should be going into the woods, that being the case, you'd probably be better off with a rifle. If you are already at the point which you want to have a dedicated bug out vehicle with supplies, I have the feeling you haven't read up too much on bugging out.
            Of course I would I would try and bring my ARs but in the event that I would not able to get them I would still have a gun. I agree that a rifle would be the best in this case. I was thinking a suzuki samurai but not dead set. Almost any almost any SUV would be better that a small car.

            Comment

            • #7
              redking
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2011
              • 549

              I am planning on having a "safe room" or basement with a years worth of supplies, which includes ammunition and a backup firearm

              I am more of a bunker down kind of guy than run away :P

              But yes if you are not planning on driving the vehicle daily I say just store it on your property and the law does not matter at that point when it comes to concealed loaded fire arms.
              "It is vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, peace, peace; but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

              Comment

              • #8
                Lead Waster
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Sep 2010
                • 16650

                My bug out vehicle would probably be a 737 to the city my parents live in.

                Where do you plan to bug out to? Do you have a bug out place (like a cottage or something). I'm assuming you aren't planning to just drive around until you're out of gas, or overwhelmed by zombies/rioters.

                If anything bad happens, I plan to Bug In. Why would I leave my house to rioters/zombies? It has all my food, ammo and other stuff in it. If bugging out means ... going into the woods and camping in a tent, why wouldn't I just stay home?

                If the problem is an earthquake, I'd still rather pitch a tent in the backyard where the place is familiar to my kids, and where my food and water is.

                If the problem is zombies, then all I have to do is stop watching the zombie DVD or stop playing "Left 4 Dead". If the problem is rioters, I'd rather defend my house with a shotgun , rifle, pistol, baseball bat, then try to defend my bug out vehicle.

                If the problem is a tsunami/flood or other forced bug out, then yeah, a vehicle is better unless you actually can make it to the airport/open road to go to a safe place.

                I remember when I was about 10, we had a forced evacuation, it was in fact, the largest evacuation in North America until Katrina hit



                The train derailed 2 miles from my parents house, I could see the fireball from the balcony. It was carrying chlorine gas ... !!

                My parents bugged us out to their friends place in a nearby city where we bugged in for a couple of weeks.

                Unlike Katrina though, there were no casualties and since it was in Canada, no looting and firearms insanity like New Orleans. Cops basically woke up the neighbourhood ans said "Please leave" and so we did.


                But I digress. A .22 would make a fine bug out pistol. You should probably store a 10/22 or something as well. Truly bugging out would require hunting for food. The .22 pistol would make a good anti-thug deterrent.

                I think a shotgun (maybe not IN the vehicle, but close at hand and ready to pack) would be good too. Keep a few boxes of shells int he vehicle. I suggest this because a shotgun is what really what kept the settlers of the "Old West" alive. Good protection, good hunting tool.

                A .22 (pistol and rifle) and shotgun is all you would need.
                ==================

                sigpic


                Remember to dial 1 before 911.

                Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

                There. Are. Four. Lights!

                Comment

                • #9
                  Ricky-Ray
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2010
                  • 3161

                  I'm thinking at minimum go with at least a 9mm. A little harder hitting and rounds would be easier to find.
                  Ray

                  "If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Lead Waster
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Sep 2010
                    • 16650

                    Originally posted by californa
                    Of course I would I would try and bring my ARs but in the event that I would not able to get them I would still have a gun. I agree that a rifle would be the best in this case. I was thinking a suzuki samurai but not dead set. Almost any almost any SUV would be better that a small car.
                    Suzuki Samurai is even smaller than a jeep, isn't it?

                    I would suggest a Bronco II, if you can find one. If off-road capability is not as important, a full sized van is better. More space for supplies and a secure place to sleep in.
                    ==================

                    sigpic


                    Remember to dial 1 before 911.

                    Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

                    There. Are. Four. Lights!

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      1911RONIN
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Mar 2011
                      • 1993

                      This is great. I love how Zombies are mentioned not less than 10 posts into any survival discussion. Not so 5 years ago.

                      Jeep Cherokee XJ or Tacoma 4x4. Reliable polymer 9mm. 1000 rounds. done.

                      I also have a mosin with 440 rounds...just arrived today! Less than $200!
                      ?Seek the Lord while He may be found?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        FashionBiff
                        Junior Member
                        • Sep 2011
                        • 72

                        Cherokee would be a great choice, also consider a lock box bolted to the vehicle. If you have to Bug out then dont waste time...go. We have had some bad fires in the last decade down south and you cant always stay, hell we just had a black out that took out the county which became a bug in situation.
                        I would look at a Glock 19 or 17 myself and have a ruger 10/22 for getting some rabbit if your bow skills are as bad as mine. MREs get old quick.
                        One thing for sure is that nothing is for sure.

                        My yard is fenced, why isn't my country ?

                        Originally posted by JagerDog
                        Now that's funny. The high road isn't on Jake's map.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Lead Waster
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Sep 2010
                          • 16650

                          Well, "Zombies" is a nice placeholder because you don't feel guilty about saying that you would shoot someone. It's the threat of a mass of humans. (Invading army, rioters, hungry neighbors, looters, etc, etc). Just easier to say "Zombies" so you don't sound like you're willing to mow down 100's of people.
                          ==================

                          sigpic


                          Remember to dial 1 before 911.

                          Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

                          There. Are. Four. Lights!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            californa
                            Member
                            • Mar 2010
                            • 375

                            Wow thanks guys I'm getting some really good responses. Yeah I have a small place that I can go to for a few weeks (friends place). Staying home would be the best but If a tornado, fire or earthquake hits I cant really do much about that. Plus theirs always a little thing called a nuclear attack that might be slightly inconvenient . I would ideally like to have a larger caliber but the small size if a mouse gun would make it easier for storage. Plus most mouse gun are inexpensive (Phoenix arms .22). BTW epcii's my gf is on board only because she thinks its gonna be "fun" like camping. I dont think she realizes its gonna be very serious. Its gonna be ugly. I'm just glad there is some intelligent like minded calgunners here on this site.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              desertjosh
                              Calguns Addict
                              • May 2011
                              • 5749

                              Get a samurai! You wont regret it. I sure don't, they are awesome when set up right.
                              Welcome to OT, where hypocrisy is King, outrage is Queen and the Kingdom is on the shores of the Denial River.

                              __________________

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1