Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Taking apart a Ruger Mark I

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Blue
    Calguns Addict
    • Oct 2005
    • 8072

    Taking apart a Ruger Mark I

    Tried taking my Ruger apart today and it didn't go so well. I got the lever/pin mechanism out of the backstrap but thats as far as I got. I couldn't figure out how to get the bolt out. Once I decided I couldn't figure it out when I put it back together the bolt only moves about a half inch now. So how do I take it apart, and how do I get the bolt to free up?

    ETA: I figured it out but the original reason I tried to take it apart is because it's really sticky when cocking it. I took it apart and everything looks fine. I haven't shot it yet but are these normally hard to cock?
    Last edited by Blue; 10-14-2007, 3:35 PM.
    Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
    Let my aim be true and my hand faster
    than those who would seek to destroy me.
    Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
    Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
    And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
    sigpic
    NRA Member
  • #2
    fast318
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2007
    • 761

    I just bought a Ruger MK II and a MK III (I pick up the MKII tomorrow )so I have no experience taking one apart, but once you get your current problem solved take a look at this;

    Comment

    • #3
      wellfedirishman
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2007
      • 2272

      Good Ruger Mark I Dis/Re-assembly instructions

      I used the instructions here and it went quite easily. The first time you open it the insides will be full of gunk, once you clean it the process goes more smoothly afterwards.

      Comment

      • #4
        ImOverHere
        Member
        • Jan 2007
        • 356

        Originally posted by fast318
        I just bought a Ruger MK II and a MK III (I pick up the MKII tomorrow )so I have no experience taking one apart, but once you get your current problem solved take a look at this;

        http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=180444
        It's not difficult taking them apart - it's putting them back together that's difficult.

        Comment

        • #5
          cobra198
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2007
          • 854

          Originally posted by wellfedirishman
          I used the instructions here and it went quite easily. The first time you open it the insides will be full of gunk, once you clean it the process goes more smoothly afterwards.

          http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/field_strip.htm
          Sweet. Thats a good guide. A friend of mine got one a few months ago and I dont think he has completely stripped it down yet. Ill have to tell him to check it out!

          Comment

          • #6
            5968
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • 3557

            It's not difficult taking them apart - it's putting them back together that's difficult.
            +1 They get easier the more you do it. Go figure.....
            sigpicIf you loan someone twenty dollars and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
            Originally posted by hoffmang
            NFA is a long ways off as well it should be. Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...-Gene

            Comment

            • #7
              xj4play
              Member
              • Oct 2005
              • 139

              Once you know which angle to hold it and and which way to move it, it will get easier to put back together. My mark 1 was the first pistol I got. So for me its simple to take apart and assemble. The trick is to pull the trigger wheil pointing the muzzle at a downward 45 deg angle. Then when you install the lever in the back of the grip , point the muzzle at a upward 45 deg angle. It should go back together smoothly and your bolt should not be stuck.

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1