Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

SW Bodyguard 380

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • BajaJames83
    Calguns Addict
    • Jun 2011
    • 6043

    SW Bodyguard 380

    So I've pretty much decided to get a small pocket rocket/ carry gun....
    think I got it narrowed down to a SW Bodyguard 380 or diamond back 9mm or 380. I'm from Florida so when I take leave next time I can go get one....
    anyone have suggestions.....
    Last edited by BajaJames83; 09-10-2011, 12:26 PM. Reason: change content
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    USMC 2001-2012

    Never make yourself too available or useful...... Semper Fidelis

    John Dickerson: What keeps you awake at night?
    James Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

  • #2
    Sturnovik
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2010
    • 2937

    I recommend a Smith 642/340. There very dependable and excellent CCW/pocket guns. I know alot of people carry pistols now but plenty of LEO's will vouch for these and they can be had pretty cheap still.

    The bodyguard 380 is still relatively new to the market, have you checked out the LCP as well? I've heard the 380 is a little more comfortable but I heard more excellent reviews on the ruger over the smith. I still recommend the LCR or 642.

    Comment

    • #3
      brianm767
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2006
      • 2390

      Jut to clarify, you are a Florida resident? because it is not roster approved, but even so, you can get them in Cali also as a Single shot.

      If it's the gun you want go for it.

      I personally chose the Kahr P380 and then the Ruger LCP over the Body Guard. I didn't see the need for a laser on a belly gun, and the switch to turn on the laser was much too hard to push. IMOP, this is a gun that will be pulled out for SD and used probably within 3-6 feet of the bad guy, I don't see even aiming, just pointing and shooting or sticking int in the gut of the bad guy.

      But that is why they make so many different guns, because we are all different and have different taste, what works fr me, might not be what works for you.

      I had a Kahr P380, absolutely loved it, very high quality gun, and I also had a Ruger LCP, loved it too, not the same quality as the Kahr, but honestly for it's purpose, it did the same job, and cost almost half as much, and no laser to deal with or break on the gun in the future.

      Also some of the reviews of the Smith turned me away from it, on the S&W forums, many Smith fans were also steering folks to the LCP due to problems with the Smith trigger and other issues with the Bodyguard.
      Last edited by brianm767; 09-10-2011, 11:41 AM.

      Comment

      • #4
        BajaJames83
        Calguns Addict
        • Jun 2011
        • 6043

        Originally posted by brianm767
        Jut to clarify, you are a Florida resident? because it is not roster approved, but even so, you can get them in Cali also as a Single shot.
        yes sir Florida resident stationed in CA on active duty with the Marines
        NRA Endowment Life Member
        USMC 2001-2012

        Never make yourself too available or useful...... Semper Fidelis

        John Dickerson: What keeps you awake at night?
        James Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

        Comment

        • #5
          Sturnovik
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2010
          • 2937

          Originally posted by brianm767
          Jut to clarify, you are a Florida resident? because it is not roster approved, but even so, you can get them in Cali also as a Single shot.

          If it's the gun you want go for it.

          I personally chose the Kahr P380 and then the Ruger LCP over the Body Guard. I didn't see the need for a laser on a belly gun, and the switch to turn on the laser was much too hard to push. IMOP, this is a gun that will be pulled out for SD and used probably within 3-6 feet of the bad guy, I don't see even aiming, just pointing and shooting or sticking int in the gut of the bad guy.

          But that is why they make so many different guns, because we are all different and have different taste, what works fr me, might not be what works for you.

          I had a Kahr P380, absolutely loved it, very high quality gun, and I also had a Ruger LCP, loved it too, not the same quality as the Kahr, but honestly for it's purpose, it did the same job, and cost almost half as much, and no laser to deal with or break on the gun in the future.

          Also some of the reviews of the Smith turned me away from it, on the S&W forums, many Smith fans were also steering folks to the LCP due to problems with the Smith trigger and other issues with the Bodyguard.
          Precisely....I was hearing issues of the Smith as well. And I'm a huge fan of there stuff since it seems to be quality but I heard better reviews on the Ruger anyways. If your still set on the Bodyguard thats ok, I'm sure they've fixed the issues they had. In any case, I recommend the Kahr or Ruger or even Sig if your going Pistol. Revolver I still recommend a 642.

          Comment

          • #6
            BajaJames83
            Calguns Addict
            • Jun 2011
            • 6043

            those kahrs are nice a little out of my price range for me. the ruger is an option i might field. I kinda like the laser thing myself, but do agree with the "ME to You" gun and wouldn't really have much of a chance to aim...
            NRA Endowment Life Member
            USMC 2001-2012

            Never make yourself too available or useful...... Semper Fidelis

            John Dickerson: What keeps you awake at night?
            James Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

            Comment

            • #7
              brianm767
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2006
              • 2390

              Originally posted by jhkutterer
              those kahrs are nice a little out of my price range for me. the ruger is an option i might field. I kinda like the laser thing myself, but do agree with the "ME to You" gun and wouldn't really have much of a chance to aim...
              First Thank you for your service.

              I sold my Ruger LCP since I decided to carry the Kahr P380 and I had gotten a good price on the Kahr, but I've since then I also traded off my Kahr but only because a trade for a CMP SG Garand came along and I always wanted one, I can replace the P380 for less than a CMP service grade M1 would have cost so I made the trade.

              Now I too am in need of another .380 I have a CCW and my daily carry will be a Kahr PM9, (traded my PM9 for a M14, have to replace it also ) I carried the P380 in my pocket when I didn't want to take out the 9.

              The LCP was a tad lighter and thinner than the Kahr, I believe the Bodyguard was also, I came close to getting a Bodyguard untill I read some of the issues it was having and actually I didn't want a laser. like I mentioned earlier I see no need for it on this platform of a gun.

              When I replace my P380, most likely it will be a LCP, great little gun, fantastic reviews, light, thin and reliable, if I needed a laser, I'd actually buy a LCP then add the Crimson Trace laser.

              The Diamond back .380 also peeked my interest until I held one and once again read the reviews, it just didn't feel right in my hands, and it had some of the worst reviews of all the .380's that I was looking at, honestly the LCP had the best reviews I've read, even better than the Kahr that I love so much, some Kahr owners have found their guns to be finicky.

              I am a huge Kahr fan, if I can afford it, I will buy another P380, but I know in my heart the LCP is just as good of gun, maybe more reliable, and $200 bucks less.

              If your set on a Bodyguard or DB380 buy what you want, we all have our own preferences, just beware, they don't have the best reviews out there. I don't think I've ever seen a bad review on a LCP lately, I guess it also had some teething problems when it first came out, but they have been fixed? when I was looking at the reviews of the two guns you are considering, that was a while ago, early releases of both pistols, maybe they have corrected their issues too?

              Out of stock right now, but Buds Law Enforcement sight, Military too, last price on the KP380 was $451 shipped, then add your FFL fee, Bodyguard was $299, LCP was $280. out of state, you can probably walk in many gun shops and get about the same price over the counter, so if you want a laser, I guess the Bodyguard is a good deal, for a SD gun, I don't think I'd trust it as much as a LCP, but for a play gun, reliability wouldn't matter as much.

              We need to hear from owners of the Bodygurad and DB380, any one? any one?

              If you need a laser, here's my suggestion.
              Last edited by brianm767; 09-10-2011, 2:50 PM.

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1