Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Handgun Safety Certificate

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • CaliforniaCarry
    Member
    • Sep 2007
    • 238

    Handgun Safety Certificate

    Do "DOJ certified" know-it-alls ever get on your nerves? I had my first experience with one tonight.

    I turn 21 in just over a month, and I intend to purchase my first handgun on my birthday. I visited the range earlier with the intent of taking the HSC test and getting the certificate. This way (I figured), I would have it when I go to make my purchase.

    So I walk in and ask them if I can take the test. One of the newer employees (who had apparently never administered the test before) took my ID and credit card, handed me the test and an answer sheet, and charged me 25 bucks. After I was done (apparently the don't check your ID before hand), he was like "Wait, you're under 21? Is this even legal?". Predicting that this question might come up, I referred him to 12803 PC and the DOJ's website, both of which clearly indicate that a person only needs to be 18 to take the test. That seemed to satisfy him, so he filled out the certificate and had me sign it.

    Before he handed the certificate to me the employee decided that he wasn't comfortable doing something he hadn't verified to be legal (a wise move in CA, to be sure). I told him that I wouldn't be offended if he double-checked with the on-site DOJ instructor, so he proceeded to find him. A minute or so later, this older, overweight, balding, white guy (the ultimate gun-nut stereotype, I know) comes back and starts breathing down my neck about how this is completely illegal, and how I could get arrested and they could get in trouble with the DOJ if they issue it.

    Knowing that this was perfectly within the law (and having verified it several times myself, just to be sure), I tried to reason with him for several minutes and asked if I could show him the law and the DOJ website. Of course, he said no, and basically said that none of that mattered, and that nothing I could do would change his mind on the legality of the matter. After all, he didn't need this "law" that I spoke of, he was a DOJ certified instructor! I would have been perfectly content and not the least bit upset if he had said something like "we're not comfortable issuing to someone under 21, so we're going to have to turn you down", but instead I was accused of breaking the law and trying to get an HSC so I could perform a straw purchase before I was 21.

    Doesn't it upset you when "DOJ Certified" individuals (and others who should actually know the laws) are so full of themselves that they just can't listen? Geez, and to think I was going to spend almost $1000 there in a month or so.

    What makes me sadder is that there was this young impressionable employee who had no idea what the law actually said, and now he likely believes the same load of BS that this "DOJ certified" jerk does.

    What sucks even more is that this place practically has a monopoly on gun sales in my area, and the next nearest retailer that I've been able to find is over 40 miles away.

    --- end of rant --
  • #2
    rkt88edmo
    Reptile&Samurai Moderator
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Dec 2002
    • 10064

    That is unfortunate. Did they refund all of your money at least?
    If it was a snake, it would have bit me.
    Use the goog to search calguns

    Comment

    • #3
      moulton
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2006
      • 2788

      tell him to look at the bottom paragraph on page 10 of this form
      Originally posted by Soldier415
      If you come to my house at 8am to give me pamphlets, I will poop on your shoes.
      Originally posted by ar15barrels
      Not everyone is so smart.
      We need people who work at McDonalds too you know...

      Comment

      • #4
        Corbin Dallas
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • May 2006
        • 6365

        Originally posted by moulton
        tell him to look at the bottom paragraph on page 10 of this form
        http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/...2f40/1/hilite/
        PWNED!!!!

        Highlight it for him and return with HSC Handbook in hand. Then loudly tell the guy he's a complete idiot and his license to issue the DOJ approved test should be revoked.

        What a tool...
        NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor: Pistol - Rifle - Shotgun - PPITH - PPOTH - NRA Certified RSO

        WTB the following - in San Diego
        --Steyr M357A1 357SIG
        --Five Seven IOM (round trigger guard)

        Never forget - השואה... לעולם לא עוד.

        Comment

        • #5
          Paradiddle
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2003
          • 1743

          Drive 40 miles and buy somewhere else. Write the owner of the shop that has the DOJ spaz and tell him you spent your $1000 elsewhere JUST because this guy is a jerk. Also - send him a copy of the law.

          40 miles is nothing in California - it's only a couple hours...

          Comment

          • #6
            The SoCal Gunner
            Veteran Member
            • May 2006
            • 3319

            Care to share the store name?

            Comment

            • #7
              superhondaz50
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2006
              • 3108

              What BS, I took my test when I was 19, my brother took it on his 18th. I give people ages 18-20 HSC's all the time. Ya find another dealer.
              Originally Posted By CTbuilder1 @ arfcom:
              A lot of time and energy goes into thinking up ways to make perfectly good rifles into something dumb. Single shot ARs are gay. AR pistols are also gay. Just my opinion, of course, but a single shot AR pistol would be an AIDS cannon.

              Comment

              • #8
                CaliforniaCarry
                Member
                • Sep 2007
                • 238

                Southern California's premier outdoor shooting range on 100 acres in Santa Clarita Valley. Trap, skeet, sporting clays, rifle, pistol, and archery. Open to the public. Classes, events, pro shop, and bar & grill. (661) 259-7441.


                I shoot there semi-frequently (they have this annoying policy of not renting handguns to anyone under 21, which means my wife has to rent for me , is there a law somewhere that specifies this?). They have a decent (but a little overpriced, IMO) shop with a fair amount of handguns for sale. HSC tests are administered at the pistol range.

                I wasn't aware that the age requirement was listed in the handbook. I didn't even read the handbook before I took the test, and I still got 30 out of 30 correct (some of the questions are just retarded, not that I'm complaining). I briefly looked at the handbook they had and tried to find it, but I had no idea where to look.

                I will send them an email and a letter containing what happened, the relevant sections of the penal code, a link to the DOJ's website, and a reference to the HSC handbook. If they're willing to issue me a certificate in spite of what this one *******'s opinion of the law is, then I'll probably still be inclined to purchase from them.

                Yes, they did refund my $25 once they realized their "mistake".

                Comment

                • #9
                  T-Bear
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2006
                  • 647

                  Sorry to hear what happend, but This is your first encounter with stupid gun store workers. Take your money elsewhere. In time you will find a good honest gun store that will keep you comming back. I will only buy firearms and acc. in 3 stores in So Cal. There hard to come by it's worth the effort to find one.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    tdo315
                    Member
                    • Sep 2007
                    • 208

                    There are plenty of stores within a 20-30 minute drive of Santa Clarita (assuming that's where you live). Just make sure to send a copy of the handbook with the relevant parts highlighted along with a nice note and a picture of the pistol you purchased somewhere else.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      N6ATF
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2007
                      • 8383

                      Report him for gross incompetence.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        CaliforniaCarry
                        Member
                        • Sep 2007
                        • 238

                        Originally posted by tdo315
                        There are plenty of stores within a 20-30 minute drive of Santa Clarita (assuming that's where you live). Just make sure to send a copy of the handbook with the relevant parts highlighted along with a nice note and a picture of the pistol you purchased somewhere else.
                        Really? Where? The nearest one I can locate is, like I said, 40 miles from me in Simi Valley. If there are others, please let me know, as that would absolutely make my day

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          dfens
                          Senior Member
                          • Jul 2007
                          • 946

                          Most ranges if not all of the ones I've been to it's company policy that you have to be 21 or over to rent a handgun.

                          Not to sound like a dick but what does it matter if you take the test now or on your 21st birthday?

                          When I turned 21 and bought my first gun, I took the test that day I bought it passed, waited the 10 days and picked up my gun.

                          It only takes like 10-15 minutes. Even if you have one you still have to wait the stupid 10 days.

                          As for going 40 miles out of your way unless you want to waste gas for a total of 160 miles total and pay more for the gun you wanted just go back. When purchasing make sure not to deal with that one guy and refuse to buy unless someone else helps you.

                          For me it's very hard to offend me to the point where I won't shop somewhere. Unless their products are crap or the prices too dam much.

                          Save as much as you can I'll only spend more on something if they are the only ones who have it and you have no choice. And I have to have it that very second.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            CaliforniaCarry
                            Member
                            • Sep 2007
                            • 238

                            Originally posted by dfens
                            Most ranges if not all of the ones I've been to it's company policy that you have to be 21 or over to rent a handgun.

                            Not to sound like a dick but what does it matter if you take the test now or on your 21st birthday?

                            When I turned 21 and bought my first gun, I took the test that day I bought it passed, waited the 10 days and picked up my gun.

                            It only takes like 10-15 minutes. Even if you have one you still have to wait the stupid 10 days.

                            As for going 40 miles out of your way unless you want to waste gas for a total of 160 miles total and pay more for the gun you wanted just go back. When purchasing make sure not to deal with that one guy and refuse to buy unless someone else helps you.

                            For me it's very hard to offend me to the point where I won't shop somewhere. Unless their products are crap or the prices too dam much.

                            Save as much as you can I'll only spend more on something if they are the only ones who have it and you have no choice. And I have to have it that very second.
                            It's not so much the practicality of the matter as it is the principle. Sure, I could easily go back and take the test on my 21rst birthday. The problem I have is that this particular instructor was extremely rude, accused me of conspiring to commit a crime, and had the "I don't care what the law actually says" attitude. Is it really the best business decision to make your customers feel like that? As a paying customer who intends to spend several thousand dollars purchasing handguns over the next year or so, I believe I deserve a little bit of patience and respect, don't you?

                            I don't get easily offended, but incorrectly accusing me of criminal activity happens to be one of my buttons. Refusing to listen to reason and disregarding the law when presented with it are two others.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              leelaw
                              Junior Member
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 10445

                              If you're in the Bay Area, let me know and I can set you up with a HSC without bull, and a good deal on your handgun of choice.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1