Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

New gun: Ruger P345

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Flintlock Tom
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • 3353

    New gun: Ruger P345

    I just got a "new" Ruger P345 before going on vacation last week. I checked it over and ran some snap-caps through it. I had to wipe oil off the outside and bore so I figured it was lubed okay.
    When I took it out in the woods to fire it for the first time it seemed to have trouble going into full battery after each shot. More than half the time I had to give it a little forward assist.
    I was shooting some commercial reloads with 225 grain FMJ.
    When I got it home I stripped, cleaned and lubed the slide rails. It still doesn't seem as smooth as my 1911 though. I also ordered a stronger recoil spring from Wolff.
    Once I get the new spring installed I'll give it another try.
    Has any other P345 shooter experienced this?

    Overall I really like the gun, even though the balance feels odd to me because of the polymer frame. I expect as I get more familiar with it it should feel more natural.
    "Everyone must determine for themselves what level of tyranny they are willing to tolerate.
    I let my CA residency expire in 2015."
  • #2
    someR1
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2009
    • 2932

    "To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
    - George Mason

    Comment

    • #3
      ojisan
      Agent 86
      CGN Contributor
      • Apr 2008
      • 11782

      Try some new factory ammo before changing anything.

      Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
      I don't really care, I just like to argue.

      Comment

      • #4
        Fishslayer
        In Memoriam
        • Jan 2010
        • 13035

        First, it's not unusual for a brand new semiauto to be tight. It usually happens with Kimbers because they have the finest machinists and tightest tolerances on the planet.

        Second, try it with factory ammo. I had similar problems and traced it to shaved lead slivers on my LSWC handloads.

        Third, Ruger has top notch customer service. Give them a chance before you go putting unneccesary wear on your new pistol with a heavier recoil spring.
        "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
        You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
        You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."


        Originally Posted by JackRydden224
        I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
        Originally posted by redcliff
        A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.

        Comment

        • #5
          paul0660
          In Memoriam
          • Jul 2007
          • 15669

          Originally posted by ojisan
          Try some new factory ammo before changing anything.
          Always change ammo before parts.
          *REMOVE THIS PART BEFORE POSTING*

          Comment

          • #6
            J.D.Allen
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2010
            • 2340

            It would really surprise me if this was any real problem with the gun itself. Rugers, and especially the P series, are ugly, blocky, not uber accurate, and their triggers are crap personified. But they run. Always. I would try different ammo first.

            Comment

            • #7
              ZX-10R
              Veteran Member
              • May 2010
              • 4122

              Originally posted by Fishslayer
              First, it's not unusual for a brand new semiauto to be tight. It usually happens with Kimbers because they have the finest machinists and tightest tolerances on the planet.

              Second, try it with factory ammo. I had similar problems and traced it to shaved lead slivers on my LSWC handloads.

              Third, Ruger has top notch customer service. Give them a chance before you go putting unneccesary wear on your new pistol with a heavier recoil spring.
              This is the answer.
              USA**************************************************USA
              03 Chevy Trailblazer , 06 Kawi ZX-10R, 05 Kawi KX250F, 07 Yamaha YZ85 - PSL , AES-10B, (2x) WASR 10/63, Draco AK Pistol, Polish Underfolder, Polish Tantal, Daniel Defense M4, Franken-AR, 1945 Izzy M44, 1936 Tula 91/30, Remington 870 Express, Smith and Wesson M&P 45, FN FNP-9, COLT 1911 XSE . NYC in CA. [COLOR="Red"][B]Obama S(_)[KS!
              Southwest Sales Manager -SolidWorks.

              Comment

              • #8
                Fishslayer
                In Memoriam
                • Jan 2010
                • 13035

                Originally posted by J.D.Allen
                It would really surprise me if this was any real problem with the gun itself. Rugers, and especially the P series, are ugly, blocky, not uber accurate, and their triggers are crap personified. But they run. Always. I would try different ammo first.
                I prefer the terms "robust" and "businesslike."

                Set a KP90 next to a G**** or XD and it suddenly appears downright graceful.

                My KP90 is very accurate. It would be more so if the trigger wasn't like dragging a bag of sand through a gravel pit.

                I chose the 90 over the 345 because weight wasn't an issue and I didn't care for the flattened down controls.

                And yes, the P series are known for combat brick reliability.
                "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
                You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
                You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."


                Originally Posted by JackRydden224
                I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
                Originally posted by redcliff
                A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.

                Comment

                • #9
                  J.D.Allen
                  Senior Member
                  • Jul 2010
                  • 2340

                  Originally posted by Fishslayer
                  I prefer the terms "robust" and "businesslike."

                  Set a KP90 next to a G**** or XD and it suddenly appears downright graceful.

                  My KP90 is very accurate. It would be more so if the trigger wasn't like dragging a bag of sand through a gravel pit.

                  I chose the 90 over the 345 because weight wasn't an issue and I didn't care for the flattened down controls.

                  And yes, the P series are known for combat brick reliability.
                  This is the second post of yours I see where you refuse to mention the word Glock. What the hell?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    morfeeis
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Apr 2010
                    • 7605

                    Wouldn't a stronger recoil spring make the OP problem even worse if there even is a problem and it's not just breaking itself in?
                    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
                    Originally posted by Ayn Rand
                    You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      paul0660
                      In Memoriam
                      • Jul 2007
                      • 15669

                      Originally posted by morfeeis
                      Wouldn't a stronger recoil spring make the OP problem even worse if there even is a problem and it's not just breaking itself in?
                      He thinks it will push the round a little more and cure the out of battery problem. As most have pointed out, this is not the solution.
                      *REMOVE THIS PART BEFORE POSTING*

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        clowe
                        Junior Member
                        • Feb 2010
                        • 53

                        First clean all the grease and crap out of it. Clean the rails on both the frame and slide. Had one that could barley pull the side back, and was having all kinds of feed problems. Cleaned and re-lubed, now works flawlessly.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          shipwreck
                          Member
                          • Feb 2009
                          • 423

                          Shooting actual factory 230gr rounds is the first step to see if the gun has any REAL problems. I'll bet it'll work fine if you clean and lube it and use factory ammo
                          -
                          Visit: Texas Gun Forum!!!!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Flintlock Tom
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2007
                            • 3353

                            Thank you!
                            Clean, lube, load with factory ammo and test at the range. Got it!

                            I'll report back this weekend.
                            Oh, and here's the photo:

                            "Everyone must determine for themselves what level of tyranny they are willing to tolerate.
                            I let my CA residency expire in 2015."

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              ZX-10R
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2010
                              • 4122

                              Yeah let me know how that goes...I have always liked that handgun.
                              USA**************************************************USA
                              03 Chevy Trailblazer , 06 Kawi ZX-10R, 05 Kawi KX250F, 07 Yamaha YZ85 - PSL , AES-10B, (2x) WASR 10/63, Draco AK Pistol, Polish Underfolder, Polish Tantal, Daniel Defense M4, Franken-AR, 1945 Izzy M44, 1936 Tula 91/30, Remington 870 Express, Smith and Wesson M&P 45, FN FNP-9, COLT 1911 XSE . NYC in CA. [COLOR="Red"][B]Obama S(_)[KS!
                              Southwest Sales Manager -SolidWorks.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1