Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

UPS wouldn't ship my Sig

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • NickZag
    Member
    • Feb 2011
    • 499

    UPS wouldn't ship my Sig

    A few days ago I was going to send my Sig off to the factory in NH to have it worked through and get night sights installed. They emailed me a shipping label which I printed out, then I took my gun in it's locked case to the UPS Customer Center (main hub, not a small UPS Store) near my house. The person behind the counter said they don't ship firearms and pulled out a binder of all of the policies and showed me. Anyone ran into this problem before? Should I just lie and tell them it's a paperweight or something?
  • #2
    Cyc Wid It
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 4485

    Don't lie and say it's a "paperweight" or "machine parts".
    WTS all BNIB: Colt S70 Repro, HK45c, Gen4 G19

    Comment

    • #3
      CK_32
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Sep 2010
      • 14369

      Originally posted by Cyc Wid It
      Don't lie and say it's a "paperweight" or "machine parts".
      Say its machine parts... Ive gotten guns parts from them all the time... If they want to get technical take the slide off and say it is now not a weapon due to it not being able to function.

      Machine parts... They pulled that BS when I went to ship a paintball air tank. They said they didnt know if it was a bomb or not and could not take it. Even if it was just a tank it could explode due to pressure....... I said its empty the neck is broken and doesnt have a regulator in it so it wouldnt be able to hold air or build pressure.......

      still stil me they couldnt take it.. Its like gun shop FUD. Stupid people with stupid assumptions. Closed minded.
      For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

      What's Your Caliber??


      My Youtube channel

      Comment

      • #4
        HappyG
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2008
        • 942

        Were you trying to ship it ground? I know their policy is overnight only. Same with Fedex...

        Either that or speak to a manager to have it resolved by someone with experience.

        Comment

        • #5
          ke6guj
          Moderator
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Nov 2003
          • 23725

          you said "in its locked case", were you sending them the key as well? There is not need to lock it in a case. Just box it up in a cardboard box, slap the label on it and either give it to your local driver or drop it off at the distribution center. Have them scan it and give you a receipt. You are not required to inform UPS that there is a firearm in the box.
          Jack



          Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

          No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

          Comment

          • #6
            MCHK
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            CGN Contributor
            • Jun 2010
            • 78

            I shipped my gun out via UPS overnight. They freaked when I told them I was shipping a handgun-asked me if I had a "license for that". They finally took it after I had the FFL I was sending it to fax over their FFL certificate. (they insisted).

            Comment

            • #7
              TJ3000
              Junior Member
              • Aug 2010
              • 85

              Strip it down and ship it ground!

              Strip it so it's Machine Parts, and ship it ground much more cheaper! Just another way for them to take your money. I would however recommend that you get insurance for it if you were to go this route!

              Comment

              • #8
                MA2
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2009
                • 1129

                Did you take it to the hub in the factory case? - or plain package/box it up?
                Sig sent you the label...who's paying for the shipping?

                Comment

                • #9
                  ke6guj
                  Moderator
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Nov 2003
                  • 23725

                  Originally posted by HappyG
                  Were you trying to ship it ground? I know their policy is overnight only. Same with Fedex...

                  Either that or speak to a manager to have it resolved by someone with experience.
                  I'm assuming that the shipping label the OP mentioned was a pre-paid shipping label. Firearms companies like Sig-Sauer have special arraingements with UPS/FEdex where they cna ship second day air instead.
                  Jack



                  Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

                  No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Cyc Wid It
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 4485

                    Originally posted by CK_32
                    Say its machine parts... Ive gotten guns parts from them all the time... If they want to get technical take the slide off and say it is now not a weapon due to it not being able to function.

                    Machine parts... They pulled that BS when I went to ship a paintball air tank. They said they didnt know if it was a bomb or not and could not take it. Even if it was just a tank it could explode due to pressure....... I said its empty the neck is broken and doesnt have a regulator in it so it wouldnt be able to hold air or build pressure.......

                    still stil me they couldnt take it.. Its like gun shop FUD. Stupid people with stupid assumptions. Closed minded.
                    Ok so if you say it's machine parts and it gets lost/stolen what happens?
                    WTS all BNIB: Colt S70 Repro, HK45c, Gen4 G19

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Librarian
                      Admin and Poltergeist
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 44689

                      Originally posted by Cyc Wid It
                      Ok so if you say it's machine parts and it gets lost/stolen what happens?
                      Shipper denies the claim.

                      And if it goes interstate, [ETA to a non-FFL, thanks ke6guj!] Federal law requires that it be properly declared.

                      See the wiki article -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...hin_California
                      Last edited by Librarian; 07-18-2011, 11:08 AM.
                      ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

                      Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Packy14
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Jul 2008
                        • 5312

                        if you ship overnight its kosher, i've done it several times with UPS. Ask to speak to a manager, they know.
                        NRA Lifetime Member

                        1A-2A = -1A

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          ke6guj
                          Moderator
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Nov 2003
                          • 23725

                          Originally posted by Librarian
                          Shipper denies the claim.
                          correct. But if Sig issued a pre-paid shipping label, then the OP would be talking to Sig about a replacement anyways, if it got lost, since it got lost on Sig's dime.

                          And if it goes interstate, Federal law requires that it be properly declared.

                          See the wiki article -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...hin_California
                          but since it is being shipping to a licensed manufacturer, there is no federal requirement that the shipper be notified.


                          this regulation only applies if you are shippng to someone who is NOT an FFL.


                          to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped:
                          Last edited by ke6guj; 07-18-2011, 12:07 AM.
                          Jack



                          Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

                          No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Mr. Beretta
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Dec 2005
                            • 6614

                            Originally posted by NickZag
                            A few days ago I was going to send my Sig off to the factory in NH to have it worked through and get night sights installed. They emailed me a shipping label which I printed out, then I took my gun in it's locked case to the UPS Customer Center (main hub, not a small UPS Store) near my house. The person behind the counter said they don't ship firearms and pulled out a binder of all of the policies and showed me. Anyone ran into this problem before? Should I just lie and tell them it's a paperweight or something?
                            Quit wasting time with UPS and send it overnight via FedEx. Just make sure it's unloaded and take the slide off from the frame. Package it real good (hopefully in it's original hard sided case). Go to a FedEx location (not a store front), tell them it's unloaded, disassembled firearm and pay the $50 to $65 for the over night shipping with insurance. I done this many times. No drama, no issues. Check the tracking number the next day and confirm your gun arrived and who signed for it.

                            Employee thieves at UPS stole my Colt lightweight Officer's Model compact 45 pistol years ago when I shipped it back to Colt for some work. Hell will freeze over before I ever use UPS for anything ever again.

                            Good Luck.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Inoxmark
                              Senior Member
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 743

                              The person behind the counter said they don't ship firearms and pulled out a binder of all of the policies and showed me.
                              What exactly did they show you? A binder? Because UPS policies specifically permit such shipments.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1