Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

real-world handgun round comparison

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Cuda440
    CGN Contributor
    • Sep 2010
    • 3289

    real-world handgun round comparison

    I went shooting in the desert last weekend, and found an old propane tank. I decided to try out a few different rounds on it. All the shots were about 30 yards

    First: here is some 357 magnum out of a 4" gp100, also you can see some 5.56 m193 holes.


    Second, heres a shot of 45 long colt from my Winchester 94 carbine (weak cowboy action loads)


    And last, heres a pic of a 357sig from a G31


    I also shot it with 45 acp, it looked exactly like the 357 magnum dents, no penetration. I also shot it with a winchester 94 in 44mag, that made a huge hole, and a 22mag rifle that suprisingly went through both sides like the 5.56, but with a smaller exit hole.
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

    Thomas Jefferson
  • #2
    shooting4life
    Calguns Addict
    • Jan 2009
    • 5770

    If you would have shot at the Propane tank with 10mm it probably broke into pieces.

    Comment

    • #3
      Tiberius
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2009
      • 1168

      That's interesting - I'm surprised the .357 Sig had penetration so much better than the .357 magnum - tho I hear the .357 Sig is very effective at shooting through car doors. I have a .357 Sig I've been thinking of selling due to ammo cost, but seeing things like this makes me reconsider. What if the planet is invaded by aliens with propane tanks for bodies? Only those with .223, .22 mag, and .357 sig will survive!

      Comment

      • #4
        scarville
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        • Feb 2009
        • 2325

        Politicians and criminals are moral twins separated only by legal fiction.

        Comment

        • #5
          -hanko
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Jul 2002
          • 14174



          Did you take the tank with you when you left??

          -hanko
          True wealth is time. Time to enjoy life.

          Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

          Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

          A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

          Comment

          • #6
            22popnsplat
            Senior Member
            • May 2008
            • 1042

            Bullet construction is everything , Just a random ammo selection is not a fair comparison . I still like doing it and seeing the pictures though . Thanks for sharing

            Comment

            • #7
              Whiterabbit
              Calguns Addict
              • Oct 2010
              • 7599

              That would be an interesting comparison. cast vs hard cast vs fmj vs banded solid.

              starting load vs mid load vs maximum pressure vs........

              Comment

              • #8
                InGrAM
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2010
                • 3699

                Small holes in that propane tank compared to my m1 carbine

                Comment

                • #9
                  Cuda440
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 3289

                  Originally posted by -hanko


                  Did you take the tank with you when you left??

                  -hanko
                  Nope, I left it right where it was- on my Uncle's private property. He was the one who put it there on the 4th of July, he threw it on a big fire to see if it would explode hahaha (it only popped the pressure relief and made a 50 foot torch)

                  He had a second tank, that time we threw it on a fire and hit it with the 5.56 for a nice fireball. A little late, but it made a nice 9th of July celebration lol.


                  Originally posted by 22popnsplat
                  Bullet construction is everything , Just a random ammo selection is not a fair comparison . I still like doing it and seeing the pictures though . Thanks for sharing
                  Yeah, it wasn't really a formal comparison, but all the ammo shot was the cheapest available, nothing high powered or fancy. Just cheap FMJ's.

                  Small holes in that propane tank compared to my m1 carbine
                  lol, I would love to hit it with the 460 weatherby magnum my uncle used to have. He shot the gun four times and sold it. He gave me the rest of the box, I need to find someone with a rifle to shoot it, its worth $7.50 a round, should be some fun.



                  pic for size:
                  Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

                  Thomas Jefferson

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    CessnaDriver
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Feb 2009
                    • 10906

                    Originally posted by Tiberius
                    That's interesting - I'm surprised the .357 Sig had penetration so much better than the .357 magnum - tho I hear the .357 Sig is very effective at shooting through car doors. I have a .357 Sig I've been thinking of selling due to ammo cost, but seeing things like this makes me reconsider. What if the planet is invaded by aliens with propane tanks for bodies? Only those with .223, .22 mag, and .357 sig will survive!
                    I wonder if the 4" barrel is too short to give the .357 magnum enough velocity?


                    "Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      m98
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2005
                      • 4088

                      Originally posted by CessnaDriver
                      I wonder if the 4" barrel is too short to give the .357 magnum enough velocity?
                      +1....357 sig was designed to work better in short barrels
                      "Screw U guys, I'm going home"...:the great Eric Cartman

                      10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        m98
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2005
                        • 4088

                        Originally posted by 22popnsplat
                        Bullet construction is everything , Just a random ammo selection is not a fair comparison . I still like doing it and seeing the pictures though . Thanks for sharing
                        +1. velocity is key in penetration to a certain degree. Not really a fair comparison. Kinda like comparing .22lr standard velocity in a pistol vs hyper velocity from a rifle. I know it was a blast to put holes in that bottle though
                        "Screw U guys, I'm going home"...:the great Eric Cartman

                        10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Spyder
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Mar 2008
                          • 17273

                          Originally posted by Cuda440
                          lol, I would love to hit it with the 460 weatherby magnum my uncle used to have. He shot the gun four times and sold it. He gave me the rest of the box, I need to find someone with a rifle to shoot it, its worth $7.50 a round, should be some fun.
                          I was a dummy and didn't take pictures, but my .458 WinMag does wonders on propane tanks and truck doors. You've got a hundred bucks worth of ammo, sounds like an excuse to buy a new rifle!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            CessnaDriver
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Feb 2009
                            • 10906

                            Bottom line, bad day to be a propane tank. LOL


                            "Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1