Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

DROS & Serial # Question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Gogz
    Junior Member
    • Jun 2011
    • 12

    DROS & Serial # Question

    Got a call from Turner's that I'll be getting a new XD9 with a new Serial # when my 10 days are up. Apparently I started my 10-days with the display model and they'll be giving me a new gun.
    Anything I need to watch out for? They said they'll just go ahead and change it out the old serial with the new one in DOJ.
    Should I just request a new Dealer's Record of Sale of Firearm with the new serial?
  • #2
    coyotebait
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2011
    • 1319

    Originally posted by Gogz
    Got a call from Turner's that I'll be getting a new XD9 with a new Serial # when my 10 days are up. Apparently I started my 10-days with the display model and they'll be giving me a new gun.
    Anything I need to watch out for? They said they'll just go ahead and change it out the old serial with the new one in DOJ.
    Should I just request a new Dealer's Record of Sale of Firearm with the new serial?
    I'm sure there will be more knowledgeable peeps along shortly, but if it were me, I'd just make sure the serial numbers match up before you take possession.
    R.I.P. Chris Kyle. 2/2/13

    Comment

    • #3
      halifax
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2005
      • 4440

      Ask for a copy of the change of serial number confirmation and keep it with the original DROS.
      Jim


      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        RoundEye
        CGSSA Director
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Mar 2010
        • 3671

        Interesting. I've never had that happen, but every time I pick one firearm up always match the serial on the receiver to the paperwork to make sure I am getting what is registered to me.
        Chad C.
        Certified GLOCK Armorer
        NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, & RSO
        CA DOJ Firearm Safety Instructor


        My YouTube Channel

        Subscribe to my blog
        Check Out My Editorials At Guns.com

        Stand And Fight, Join the NRA!

        Comment

        • #5
          Gogz
          Junior Member
          • Jun 2011
          • 12

          Originally posted by halifax
          Ask for a copy of the change of serial number confirmation and keep it with the original DROS.
          Is the change of serial number confirmation a special form or are you referring to a new purchase receipt and/or Dealer's Record of Sale of Firearm?

          Just want to avoid someone else purchasing the display model down the line and the gun being linked to me...

          Comment

          • #6
            Gogz
            Junior Member
            • Jun 2011
            • 12

            Originally posted by RoundEye
            Interesting. I've never had that happen, but every time I pick one firearm up always match the serial on the receiver to the paperwork to make sure I am getting what is registered to me.
            They are basically waiting for the new non-display guns to arrive from the warehouse. To start my 10-days they used the display model for DROS.

            Comment

            • #7
              RoundEye
              CGSSA Director
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Mar 2010
              • 3671

              Originally posted by Gogz
              They are basically waiting for the new non-display guns to arrive from the warehouse. To start my 10-days they used the display model for DROS.
              Hmmmm.. I always thought to start the 10 day wait that the seller had to have the firearm in their possession (albeit warehouse or what not) they had to have the serial number of the firearm to be released to start DROS.

              I'm not an FFL or anything, so I could be wrong. That was just my understanding.
              Chad C.
              Certified GLOCK Armorer
              NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, & RSO
              CA DOJ Firearm Safety Instructor


              My YouTube Channel

              Subscribe to my blog
              Check Out My Editorials At Guns.com

              Stand And Fight, Join the NRA!

              Comment

              • #8
                halifax
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2005
                • 4440

                Originally posted by Gogz
                Is the change of serial number confirmation a special form or are you referring to a new purchase receipt and/or Dealer's Record of Sale of Firearm?

                Just want to avoid someone else purchasing the display model down the line and the gun being linked to me...
                When a dealer uses the DROS software to make changes (e.g., serial number) on a DROS that has already been submitted he gets an immediate confirmation to print and keep in his records. Ask for a copy of that.
                Jim


                sigpic

                Comment

                • #9
                  Gogz
                  Junior Member
                  • Jun 2011
                  • 12

                  Originally posted by RoundEye
                  Hmmmm.. I always thought to start the 10 day wait that the seller had to have the firearm in their possession (albeit warehouse or what not) they had to have the serial number of the firearm to be released to start DROS.

                  I'm not an FFL or anything, so I could be wrong. That was just my understanding.
                  They had the firearm in their possession (it was the display model I looked at). However, they don't want to give me the display model (since I pestered them about getting a new gun). The system was giving them some issues (couldn't see the updated inventory at the warehouse) so they started DROS with the display firearm/serial number.

                  Originally posted by halifax
                  When a dealer uses the DROS software to make changes (e.g., serial number) on a DROS that has already been submitted he gets an immediate confirmation to print and keep in his records. Ask for a copy of that.
                  Thank you sir. Appreciate all the help.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    CK_32
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Sep 2010
                    • 14369

                    thats interesting... Kinda of sketchie they can just change the serial ## over like that...


                    Id be scared they would be normal turners and switch my gun to someone else on accident and some sh*t would go down and id get the short end.
                    For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

                    What's Your Caliber??


                    My Youtube channel

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Gogz
                      Junior Member
                      • Jun 2011
                      • 12

                      Originally posted by CK_32
                      thats interesting... Kinda of sketchie they can just change the serial ## over like that...


                      Id be scared they would be normal turners and switch my gun to someone else on accident and some sh*t would go down and id get the short end.
                      Can they register the gun to someone else if the DROS already says it's registered to me? I don't think so. It doesn't make sense. If they are going to give me a 'new' gun with a new serial number (keep in mind the display model is new as well), then it is to their best interest to change the old serial with the new one so they can sell the display model. It only makes sense.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Brandon04GT
                        In Memoriam
                        • Feb 2011
                        • 3016

                        I called turners once and asked about the DROS period with guns still in their warehouses. They told me they could start the 10 day wait immediately as long as they can get the serial number from the gun in the warehouse. So it's kinda strange that they are starting the DROS with the display gun serial and then saying they will just "switch them" later...

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          m1a1driver
                          Senior Member
                          • Feb 2009
                          • 1031

                          I had them do that to me before. The serial number on the receipt was the old one, and the dros paperwork had the new SN on it.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Gogz
                            Junior Member
                            • Jun 2011
                            • 12

                            Originally posted by StriderTacticaL
                            I called turners once and asked about the DROS period with guns still in their warehouses. They told me they could start the 10 day wait immediately as long as they can get the serial number from the gun in the warehouse. So it's kinda strange that they are starting the DROS with the display gun serial and then saying they will just "switch them" later...
                            They know they have about 40 brand spankin' new XD9's at the warehouse. Something was up with their system where they couldn't see the updated inventory. Hence the reason why they started DROS with an XD9 serial number which will later be updated.

                            Originally posted by m1a1driver
                            I had them do that to me before. The serial number on the receipt was the old one, and the dros paperwork had the new SN on it.
                            Thanks for the reassurance. I am assuming they just update the current DROS, give you a new copy and send you off to the range.

                            I made a copy of the current DROS just in case they take it.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              mebejets
                              Member
                              • Feb 2006
                              • 270

                              basicly they are going to change the serial number on the grounds that there was a mistake in the number compared to what was on the gun. ie human error on entry. dont make a big deal out of this they are doing you a favor and just make sure your paper work is correct!!!!!!!! if not next time wait for the new one to arrive and wait to start your 10 days!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1