Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Another KAHR PM9 Range Report...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • DRAB_81
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2009
    • 2482

    Another KAHR PM9 Range Report...



    I finally got to take out my new toy the other day. After reading about how harsh the recoil is in these little pocket 9's, I was surprised at how soft this little gun shoots. I have never been a guy that believed the words "9mm" & "recoil" belonged in the same sentence, but I do realize that pocket guns can be a whole different ball game. I really enjoy shooting the PM9, which was not at all the case with my S&W 442 (which I traded for a G26). I'm a Glock guy, and I love the stock Glock trigger. I had a little trouble with the DAO trigger for the first few mags, because my Glock muscle memory tells me to ride the reset. I didn't let the trigger fully reset a few times. After 2 mags, I got the hang of it, and it was perfect after that. POA met POI very easliy, which was nice since a lot of guys say that "new" KAHR shooters tend to shoot low. The PM9 trigger is very smooth, and makes it very easy to keep the front sight still through the trigger pull. I still like my Glock triggers better, but that's probably because this is the ONLY handgun I own that isn't a Glock.

    I followed the "Proper Prep of a New Kahr" guidelines, here:


    I also followed the "Kahr Lube Diagram", here:


    I brought 100rds of S&B 115gr FMJ, 100rds of Federal Champion 115gr FMJ &100rds of my 147gr Berry's/Titegroup IDPA load. I was half expecting to get too beat up to shoot it all, but it was NOT a problem shooting ALL 300rds in my first range session. KAHR recommends a 200rd (FMJ) Break In Period before the gun is to be considered 100% reliable. Since ALL 300rds functioned FLAWLESSLY, I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy inside.

    I had a nice little surprise with the Federal Champion (WalMart) 115gr FMJ. It shot a pretty good little fireball out of this short barrel. It definitely adds to the fun-factor of shooting it. Here's a short video:

    A private space for your group's photos and videos. Share, react, and relive moments together. Available on iOS, Android, and desktop. Free for new sign-ups.
  • #2
    UserM4
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2010
    • 1687

    Wow, you shot 300rds in one session? I shoot 100 and I'm done. I pack it up and bust out an HK for some luxuriously plush recoil action.
    While we're here arguing about the latest high tech running shoes, there's some Kenyan out there running barefoot. Guess who's gonna win the marathon?

    Comment

    • #3
      DRAB_81
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2009
      • 2482

      Originally posted by UserM4
      Wow, you shot 300rds in one session? I shoot 100 and I'm done. I pack it up and bust out an HK for some luxuriously plush recoil action.
      Yeah, I wanted to get the Break In Period over with, so what's another 100rds right? I also put another 50rds through my GEN 4 G21 when I was done with the PM9...

      Comment

      • #4
        chiselchst
        Very Nice Honey Badger
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Oct 2008
        • 2025

        Thanks for the report.

        My impression was the exact same as yours! I did the prep and lube, and read the Kahr forum first. I blasted 200 my 1st trip, no problems at all. Neat little gun, Recoil was less than expected, accuracy was surprising good!
        My Opinion - Worth What You Paid For It...

        DO NOT Use Amazon Smile! Use Shop42A.com
        Originally posted by FremontJames
        I guess it depends on what your definition of law breaking is.
        Originally posted by Librarian
        Here, let me Google that for you ... :)

        No, no, that would be cruel.

        Comment

        • #5
          lumwilliam
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2009
          • 751

          I really feel PM9 feed problems are a thing of the past. It seems they've got the issues all worked out, as I haven't read an complaints...especially since the minor re-design last year. I picked up mine last year... did no prep, no lube. Took it to the range with a bunch of quesitonable reloads and fired away. About 300 through so far with no problems.

          Comment

          • #6
            cineski
            Calguns Addict
            • Nov 2007
            • 6205

            Meathead, in my experience, Kahr pistols need more than 300 rounds of break-in. 5-700 is more accurate.

            Comment

            • #7
              tacgunner530
              Member
              • Oct 2010
              • 341

              nice review, and thanks for the links. i pick up my pm9 tues the 5th, which is not coming fast enough!
              TacGunner530
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                UserM4
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2010
                • 1687

                My PM9 has fed 100% as per design since day 1 with over 1K through it now. But I did have an issue with the mag release button getting soft on me after about 700 or 800 rounds where upon recoil, I would gently nudge the release and the mag would drop a bit causing it to not chamber the subsequent round. I emailed Kahr and they sent me a beefier mag release spring (bar) and a brand new mag release as well. It solved the problem.

                Also, when you do high stress drills, you won't notice the recoil at all. Recoil really is overrated during actual use, obviously it may keep you from practicing tho.
                While we're here arguing about the latest high tech running shoes, there's some Kenyan out there running barefoot. Guess who's gonna win the marathon?

                Comment

                • #9
                  kazman
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2009
                  • 528

                  I don't like the mag release. It is too hard to press to release on some of my mags. Kahr says it will loosen up (I've got about 450 rounds through it now). But some have the opposite problem of the mags coming loose during firing. I don't think it's a good design. Other than that it's great. And hey, it's all about shot placement on my first 6+1 rounds right?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    puropuro
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 650

                    Once I did a bit of sanding on my PM9 mag followers, it feeds 100%.
                    I totally agree on the recoil (or lack thereof) comments.
                    My little girl shoots my pm9 with no problem. Sure, it's a wee more stiff than a full sized gun, but hardly worth calling difficult.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      tacgunner530
                      Member
                      • Oct 2010
                      • 341

                      Originally posted by puropuro
                      Once I did a bit of sanding on my PM9 mag followers, it feeds 100%.
                      I totally agree on the recoil (or lack thereof) comments.
                      My little girl shoots my pm9 with no problem. Sure, it's a wee more stiff than a full sized gun, but hardly worth calling difficult.
                      i'm picking up my pm9 on tues and the pre prep is something i want to do. what part of the follower did you sand? i've heard of a light sanding on the underside of the feed lips helps, but not the follower. thx!
                      TacGunner530
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        RobT2K
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • 726

                        There are photos on the second page of this thread on Kahrtalk-
                        Follower modifications

                        I haven't had any problems yet on my CM9, I shot 200 rnds the other day and was using a mix of hand racking and the slide release. That was with my 6 rnd mag, I'll try my 8rnd mag next time out.

                        Gratuitous off-list Kahr pic-

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          tacgunner530
                          Member
                          • Oct 2010
                          • 341

                          Originally posted by RobT2K
                          There are photos on the second page of this thread on Kahrtalk-
                          Follower modifications

                          I haven't had any problems yet on my CM9, I shot 200 rnds the other day and was using a mix of hand racking and the slide release. That was with my 6 rnd mag, I'll try my 8rnd mag next time out.

                          Gratuitous off-list Kahr pic-

                          thanks for the link. how did you get that cm9? thats the one i wanted, but i couldn't justify the cost of all the single shot crap to get it. bit the bullet and went with the pm9. i'm liking the new beveled front on the slide with the cm and now the pm9.
                          TacGunner530
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            puropuro
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 650

                            Originally posted by RobT2K
                            There are photos on the second page of this thread on Kahrtalk-
                            Actually, those pics are for a different thing. The ones you referenced are for easier slingshotting of the slide.

                            I didn't have to do that amount of sanding for the feeding/nosedive fix.
                            Here is the pic shared with me by one of the guys that helped a bunch.

                            You don't actually need to remove that much material....just smooth out the areas where you can see the mag release catching the follower. We're talking maybe 1mm worth of material or less.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1