Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Going swimming with your GLOCK.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Oceanbob
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jun 2010
    • 12720

    Going swimming with your GLOCK.

    Some people over on the Glock Talk 10 Ring were discussing underwater Glocks.

    Copy and paste:

    Taking the G29 rafting today

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    I'm going rafting/tubing down a local river in just a little bit. I'm not that worried about needing a pistol for SD use, but you never know. I've seen Deliverance, and a G29 would have saved them from a bit of rectal pain. I plan to avoid such discomfort in my life, so I'm thinking I'll take my loyal companion along for a ride. Plus, after carrying for nearly two years, I feel pretty naked and vulnerable without it.

    The pistol WILL get wet. It will likely be fully submerged for most of the trip. I'm kind of excited to test it, along with my ammo. I plan on keeping it in the cargo pocket of my bathing suit. I'll have it lashed to me with parachute cord, through the lanyard hole. I'll also be carrying in condition 3 (empty chamber) since I don't want my leather holster to get soaked, and a accidental discharge could ruin my day.

    If I do, in fact, go tubing and take it, I'll likely test fire the ammo after I get done (after I clear all of the water from the gun). I'd like to know how well my ammo will hold up in water. As I said, it should be submerged most of the time (about 3 hours). I guess we will see how it goes.

    ***

    Yeah it will DEFINITELY be on a lanyard. No bag, though. I want to see how well it deals with the water, especially the ammo.

    ***

    And the verdict is . . . FLAWLESS!!! I was in the water for 3.5 hours. The gun was submerged nearly the entire time. I had it tied to my bathing suit, and in my pocket. I barely noticed it. I even jumped off a 30 foot cliff twice with it in my pocket. On the way home I stopped and dumped the mag. Not a hiccup. It did start to rub against my knee once I got out of the water. I am utterly impressed with both Glock and my hand loads. I'm sorry, but I don't think it gets much cooler than having a gun soaking wet for 3.5 hours, then firing it WET, and not having a failure. Absolutely too cool. I'm beyond sold. Glock is the best.

    EDIT: I forgot to add that the gun has 340 rounds worth of crap built up in it as well. I put 340 rounds through it Saturday and Sunday and didn't clean it until just now. Amazing gun

    ***

    I carry while fishing on an 18' boat and ride ATV's in the rain/mud/VERY thick dust all the time. I've had a few Glocks totally submerged in salt water only to "dry" out in 95* humidity. Never a problem, I put them in the cast net, hang them off the tailgate of my truck and hose them down with the pressure washer. I did the same before with a Kahr PM9 and a S&W J frame. The Kahr and the S&W both rusted. The hammer and trigger on the J frame needed to be replaced and it took over an hour of hard cleaning to get all the rust off of the Kahr. The barrel and recoil assembly of the Kahr rusted up beyond belief for a quick dip. Glock has the best bad weather/neglegent owner durability in the biz.

    ***

    Just another reason to Love Glocks..!

    Got any GLOCK abuse stories to share..?

    Be well
    Bob
    May the Bridges I burn light the way.

    Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

    Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
  • #2
    CK_32
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Sep 2010
    • 14369

    Idk some of those replies seem a tad just let me add my story that's a little far fetched.... It could be possible but that seems like a little Internet one upper story telling to me...
    Last edited by CK_32; 06-27-2011, 9:38 AM.
    For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

    What's Your Caliber??


    My Youtube channel

    Comment

    • #3
      bob bomb
      Member
      • Dec 2006
      • 233

      I use a glock at work along with everyone else(we have no choice) and all I have to say is they are not a reliable as people think. Especially when they have a flashlight on them. Numerous feed problems, locking block pin breakage. In the 40S&W I believe they are less than ideal. 9mm glocks are alot better.

      We replace our recoil springs every 2000 rounds and still messes up. The newer magazines help with the problems alittle but it still happens. Oakland PD recalled there glock 22 gen 4's which will also show you this. NYPD also had a problem with theres back in hte day as well. I am not triyng to knock glocks but they are not the weapon system people think they are.

      Comment

      • #4
        Mr_Dunev
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2011
        • 1925

        Originally posted by Oceanbob
        Some people over on the Glock Talk 10 Ring were discussing underwater Glocks.

        Copy and paste:

        Taking the G29 rafting today

        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

        I'm going rafting/tubing down a local river in just a little bit. I'm not that worried about needing a pistol for SD use, but you never know. I've seen Deliverance, and a G29 would have saved them from a bit of rectal pain. I plan to avoid such discomfort in my life, so I'm thinking I'll take my loyal companion along for a ride. Plus, after carrying for nearly two years, I feel pretty naked and vulnerable without it.

        The pistol WILL get wet. It will likely be fully submerged for most of the trip. I'm kind of excited to test it, along with my ammo. I plan on keeping it in the cargo pocket of my bathing suit. I'll have it lashed to me with parachute cord, through the lanyard hole. I'll also be carrying in condition 3 (empty chamber) since I don't want my leather holster to get soaked, and a accidental discharge could ruin my day.

        If I do, in fact, go tubing and take it, I'll likely test fire the ammo after I get done (after I clear all of the water from the gun). I'd like to know how well my ammo will hold up in water. As I said, it should be submerged most of the time (about 3 hours). I guess we will see how it goes.

        ***

        Yeah it will DEFINITELY be on a lanyard. No bag, though. I want to see how well it deals with the water, especially the ammo.

        ***

        And the verdict is . . . FLAWLESS!!! I was in the water for 3.5 hours. The gun was submerged nearly the entire time. I had it tied to my bathing suit, and in my pocket. I barely noticed it. I even jumped off a 30 foot cliff twice with it in my pocket. On the way home I stopped and dumped the mag. Not a hiccup. It did start to rub against my knee once I got out of the water. I am utterly impressed with both Glock and my hand loads. I'm sorry, but I don't think it gets much cooler than having a gun soaking wet for 3.5 hours, then firing it WET, and not having a failure. Absolutely too cool. I'm beyond sold. Glock is the best.

        EDIT: I forgot to add that the gun has 340 rounds worth of crap built up in it as well. I put 340 rounds through it Saturday and Sunday and didn't clean it until just now. Amazing gun

        ***

        I carry while fishing on an 18' boat and ride ATV's in the rain/mud/VERY thick dust all the time. I've had a few Glocks totally submerged in salt water only to "dry" out in 95* humidity. Never a problem, I put them in the cast net, hang them off the tailgate of my truck and hose them down with the pressure washer. I did the same before with a Kahr PM9 and a S&W J frame. The Kahr and the S&W both rusted. The hammer and trigger on the J frame needed to be replaced and it took over an hour of hard cleaning to get all the rust off of the Kahr. The barrel and recoil assembly of the Kahr rusted up beyond belief for a quick dip. Glock has the best bad weather/neglegent owner durability in the biz.

        ***

        Just another reason to Love Glocks..!

        Got any GLOCK abuse stories to share..?

        Be well
        Bob

        I think that is an an awesome story, dependability is EXTREMELY important when choosing your "family". I am a die hard 1911 fan, but i am planning on buying my GF a Glock 17 or 19, which i am sure i will end up shooting. Post again if you have anymore durability tests.
        Originally posted by bruceflinch
        I have to stop drinking, I can't understand your post...
        I'll read it again when I'm sober...
        Originally posted by SonofWWIIDI
        I'd vote for a deceased donkey prostitute before I'd vote for Monica's ex boyfriends wife..
        I buy Vintage Motorcycles...PM me what you got. IG @VintageCycleTrader

        Comment

        • #5
          1911su16b870
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Dec 2006
          • 7654

          FWIW Glock makes maritime FP spring cups for water use. They have small notches that will allow the any water in the FP channel to drain out.
          "Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022

          NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
          GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
          Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
          I instruct it if you shoot it.

          Comment

          • #6
            Gary13
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2009
            • 1523

            Two sheriffs deputies at the lake yesterday on their jetskis were carrying Glocks.

            Comment

            • #7
              Oceanbob
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jun 2010
              • 12720

              Originally posted by bob bomb
              I use a glock at work along with everyone else(we have no choice) and all I have to say is they are not a reliable as people think. Especially when they have a flashlight on them. Numerous feed problems, locking block pin breakage. In the 40S&W I believe they are less than ideal. 9mm glocks are alot better.

              We replace our recoil springs every 2000 rounds and still messes up. The newer magazines help with the problems alittle but it still happens. Oakland PD recalled there glock 22 gen 4's which will also show you this. NYPD also had a problem with theres back in hte day as well. I am not triyng to knock glocks but they are not the weapon system people think they are.
              I can't speak to the new GEN 4 models; I do know they had issues with some recoil spring assemblies etc..and I believe most of those problems are solved.

              But I can speak of my 60,000 rounds of GLOCK shooting since 1987. Nothing I own (and I own more than 60 handguns, including 11 1911s, 15 GLOCKS.etc) and I have never had a more reliable weapon than a GLOCK.

              Here's another Torture Test...one of many done over the years.



              Sure. Some of them are UGLY..but for me, reliable wins that beauty contest.

              Be well

              Bob
              May the Bridges I burn light the way.

              Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

              Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).

              Comment

              • #8
                HighLander51
                Banned
                • Feb 2010
                • 5144

                I don't want my leather holster to get soaked? Your'e lucky it came out of that, Glocks are supposed to kept in plastic.....

                But I can speak of my 60,000 rounds of GLOCK shooting since 1987

                You still have any of the first gen models?

                Comment

                • #9
                  fullrearview
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Jan 2008
                  • 9371

                  Sorry to join the mighty Glock bashing, but I have seen two fire out of battery, and subsequently, have a catastrophic failure (thankfully, not in my hands and face). It can happen with ANY weapon. I carry a usp40 at work. for the last eight months, it has averaged 8-10 failure to feeds out of 100 rounds (Don't.

                  That being said, I know both are overwhelming great and reliable weapons... I just don't care for them ergonomically, not for the reason above.
                  Last edited by fullrearview; 06-27-2011, 1:16 PM.
                  "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."~M.Twain~

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    HighLander51
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2010
                    • 5144

                    fullrearview, I have witnessed over a dozen Glock KaBooms, not just case ruptures, but complete catasphropic failure of the barrel, slide and frame. None of these were out of battery at ignition. And the worst injury that I saw, besides the usual finger cut, was a piece of plastic stuck in the shooters face.

                    The out of battery Kabooms that you saw, where they completely stock weapons? and factory ammo?

                    I once ran a G21 to over 100,000 rounds, before the barrel lug sheared off. the only parts to give prior to that where 2 reset springs and a chipped extractor, but it kept running.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      tacticalcity
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Aug 2006
                      • 10929

                      I wouldn't intentionally do it myself. But...





                      As if that wasn't crazy enough...

                      Last edited by tacticalcity; 06-27-2011, 2:41 PM.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        fullrearview
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Jan 2008
                        • 9371

                        Originally posted by HighLander51
                        fullrearview, I have witnessed over a dozen Glock KaBooms, not just case ruptures, but complete catasphropic failure of the barrel, slide and frame. None of these were out of battery at ignition. And the worst injury that I saw, besides the usual finger cut, was a piece of plastic stuck in the shooters face.

                        The out of battery Kabooms that you saw, where they completely stock weapons? and factory ammo?

                        I once ran a G21 to over 100,000 rounds, before the barrel lug sheared off. the only parts to give prior to that where 2 reset springs and a chipped extractor, but it kept running.
                        Both stock with WWB... Not sure of round count, but they were gen 3's...
                        "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."~M.Twain~

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          CK_32
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Sep 2010
                          • 14369

                          Originally posted by 1911su16b870
                          FWIW Glock makes maritime FP spring cups for water use. They have small notches that will allow the any water in the FP channel to drain out.
                          Have Pics of this?
                          For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

                          What's Your Caliber??


                          My Youtube channel

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            762.DEFENSE
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Aug 2010
                            • 6314

                            Originally posted by tacticalcity
                            I wouldn't intentionally do it myself. But...





                            As if that wasn't crazy enough...

                            Very interesting

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              stix213
                              AKA: Joe Censored
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Apr 2009
                              • 19002

                              Took my Glock 26 three days down a creek on a backpacking trip on a raft. It got wet alot, but no issues. Had 124gr rem golden saber +p ammo, all functioned fine when I later tested them.

                              Took my Glock 29 on a backpacking trip a few weeks ago, during the end of the rain we were getting. (bought the 29 to replace the 26 for backpacking trips) It was open carried and got really wet. I had to clean some caked on mud off the gun when I got home. No issues. Had 200gr Double Tap hard cast, tested later and were fine. My Bro-in-law wanted to bring his brand new Beretta 96 in Inox finish.... I was able to convince him it would get all scratched up, and I loaned him my above Glock 26. No issues with the 26 as well.

                              Took my Glock 29 on a backpacking trip in january into the snow. It was rained and snowed on the entire trip, close to a week open carried. It was kept at well below freezing temps for several days straight. No issues. Again with the 200gr Double Tap hard cast, tested later and no problems.
                              Last edited by stix213; 06-27-2011, 7:19 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1