Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

New M9! Any tips for break in?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • runway1
    Senior Member
    • May 2011
    • 1731

    New M9! Any tips for break in?

    Soon to pickup a new Beretta M9. Any tips for initial cleaning and break-in? I'm a newbie and want TO make sure I don't miss something. Thanks!
  • #2
    Quickdraw Mcgraw
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2009
    • 711

    Naw man, jus clean/lube it per instruction manual and then shoot it like ya stole it!

    Comment

    • #3
      Marlin Hunter
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2010
      • 586

      If it was mine, I would take it apart and make sure everything looked OK. Look for sharp burrs on the steel slide that might shave metal off the lower receiver. I have seen a S&W 9mm (model ??) that had a burr on the slide and it shaved off part of the aluminum frame every time it cycled.

      I am not familiar with the M9, so I can't give you anything specific.
      *
      *
      *

      Comment

      • #4
        FARRIER
        Junior Member
        • Feb 2011
        • 54

        Shoot clean repeat! Enjoy that fine piece of metal!

        Comment

        • #5
          bden
          Senior Member
          CGN Contributor
          • Feb 2009
          • 1923

          Check out the Beretta forums too for more gun specific info. A lot of people change the main spring to a "D" spring in time. It's a cheap (<$10) way to lighten the trigger pull. It's a great gun so I'm sure you'll love it. Do lube the rails nicely the first time or two out, but otherwise you're gtg!
          It's not about guns, it's about Freedom. -Mark Vanderberg
          Originally posted by bwiese
          Be like me...I own over 100 AR mags I got before the ban set in. Hell, I bought a ton of other magazines as well...I can throw hicap mags on the floor and swim in them.
          Liberals want my guns, conservatives want my porn. I'll part with neither.
          sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            runway1
            Senior Member
            • May 2011
            • 1731

            Great, thanks all!

            Comment

            • #7
              corcoraj2002
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2010
              • 636

              The "D" spring Mod only lightens the DA pull it does not affect the SA pull, just an FYI. the spring can be bought for anything from $2 to $7
              I support the NRA, if you are not in, you can't win.

              Comment

              • #8
                forgiven
                Calguns Addict
                • May 2008
                • 5214

                Shoot, shoot and shoot even more. Enjoy!

                Comment

                • #9
                  shooterdude
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2009
                  • 844

                  On shots 1-10 I clean the barrel after every round but starting with the first odd shot fired by using a bore snake and CLP, after every even round I clean the barrel with a different bore snake using Hoppes #9. On shots 11-23 I clean the barrel on every odd round with the bore snake and the hoppes # 9 then every other even round with the bore snake and CLP. For shots 24-51 I clean the barrel every 3rd odd round with a nylon round brush soaked in Rem Oil and every other even round with a bore snake and CLP alternating with the other bore snake and Hoppes #9 for the shots in between the other even shots. The critical factor is to let the barrel cool completely down between every 3rd cycle of cleaning between even shots and only cool down 50% between every 2nd cycle of odd shots. From shots 52-109 let the barrel cool down 50% and then use the bore snake and hoppes #9 to clean the barrel every 5th round and Rem Oil and the bore snake every other even shot fired and the bore snake with CLP every other cycle of 5 shots after the 3rd 5 shot cycle that the hoppes #9 was used.

                  This procedure will definitely make your stock barrel shoot as good as any match barrel but only if you truly believe this to be true.
                  Using C Products 10 round magazines in my AR-15...just to be "safe"...

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    gotshotgun?
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 3667

                    Originally posted by shooterdude
                    On shots 1-10 I clean the barrel after every round but starting with the first odd shot fired by using a bore snake and CLP, after every even round I clean the barrel with a different bore snake using Hoppes #9. On shots 11-23 I clean the barrel on every odd round with the bore snake and the hoppes # 9 then every other even round with the bore snake and CLP. For shots 24-51 I clean the barrel every 3rd odd round with a nylon round brush soaked in Rem Oil and every other even round with a bore snake and CLP alternating with the other bore snake and Hoppes #9 for the shots in between the other even shots. The critical factor is to let the barrel cool completely down between every 3rd cycle of cleaning between even shots and only cool down 50% between every 2nd cycle of odd shots. From shots 52-109 let the barrel cool down 50% and then use the bore snake and hoppes #9 to clean the barrel every 5th round and Rem Oil and the bore snake every other even shot fired and the bore snake with CLP every other cycle of 5 shots after the 3rd 5 shot cycle that the hoppes #9 was used.

                    This procedure will definitely make your stock barrel shoot as good as any match barrel but only if you truly believe this to be true.
                    I sure hope this was a joke....

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      esartori
                      Senior Member
                      • Jul 2010
                      • 745

                      Haha you spent a lot of time on that joke

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        billped
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2009
                        • 2504

                        LOL!
                        Bill

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          DDRH
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Mar 2008
                          • 2756

                          Ahaha...

                          Usually I just clean off any packaging grease/lube, spray it down with CLP, run a boresnake through it once, then "shoot it like I stole it" LOL.

                          And of course make sure there's no unusual wear marks.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Mr. Beretta
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Dec 2005
                            • 6614

                            runaway1

                            Before shooting it, I'd remove the barrel, slide and wipe off the excessive oil & lube from the rails, etc. then I'd put a touch of good quality lube on the rails & other contact areas (these areas will become obvious after a couple trips to the range). Shoot it. When you take remove the slide, barrel, etc. again for cleaning, you'll see where you need to lube it.

                            Let's talk ammo. Your 92FS will shoot just about any factory 9mm ammo available. Be careful however, there is still some 9mm sub machine gun ammo showing up on different gun forums. It is loaded very HOT! It's not meant to fired in pistols. Do not use it in your gun.

                            Keep your new M9 cleaned & lubed and it will outlast us both.

                            Welcome to the family.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              c3 rolling
                              Senior Member
                              • Apr 2011
                              • 726

                              Originally posted by shooterdude
                              On shots 1-10 I clean the barrel after every round but starting with the first odd shot fired by using a bore snake and CLP, after every even round I clean the barrel with a different bore snake using Hoppes #9. On shots 11-23 I clean the barrel on every odd round with the bore snake and the hoppes # 9 then every other even round with the bore snake and CLP. For shots 24-51 I clean the barrel every 3rd odd round with a nylon round brush soaked in Rem Oil and every other even round with a bore snake and CLP alternating with the other bore snake and Hoppes #9 for the shots in between the other even shots. The critical factor is to let the barrel cool completely down between every 3rd cycle of cleaning between even shots and only cool down 50% between every 2nd cycle of odd shots. From shots 52-109 let the barrel cool down 50% and then use the bore snake and hoppes #9 to clean the barrel every 5th round and Rem Oil and the bore snake every other even shot fired and the bore snake with CLP every other cycle of 5 shots after the 3rd 5 shot cycle that the hoppes #9 was used.

                              This procedure will definitely make your stock barrel shoot as good as any match barrel but only if you truly believe this to be true.




                              It's not a joke. I know some people that do this with their rifles and pistols. Some call it a myth but others swear that it produces the most accurate barrel. I was told that the LAPD SWAT team does this to all their sniper rifles by some officers. There are different methods, usually I just hear that the barrel should be cleaned after every shot for 10 rounds and then alternate every other round for about 100+ rounds. Personally I dont do it and my firearms are more accurate than I am. If I had the patience and time I probably would do it since it couldnt hurt.
                              Last edited by c3 rolling; 05-28-2011, 8:17 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1