Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Help Me Purchase My 1st Firearm

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Crow Killa
    Junior Member
    • May 2011
    • 10

    Help Me Purchase My 1st Firearm

    I am looking to purchase my first firearm which I intend to be used primarily for home defense and some recreation. I do not intend on buying another handgun (thats what everyone says at first... lol). I was thinking of getting a 9MM so that my intimidated wife could still feel comfortable firing it safely. I do not want something in my home that she does not know how to use comfortably and safely.

    Since I plan for this to be my only handgun I would like to get a nice one so I dont regret the purchase later. I dont want to spend more than about $900.

    I have shot a few handguns listed below, and held many others while shopping.

    HK USP .45
    Springfield 1911
    Browning HP 9MM
    Sig 9mm
    CZ 9mm
    XD9 MM Compact

    For some reason I am really drawn to the HK brand look and feel. I really like the HK P30 9MM, P30L 9MM and the USP 9MM.

    What is your opinion of the HK P30 9MM, P30L 9MM and the USP 9MM?


    Could any of you provide me with some advice or recommendations on which make and model hand gun I should go with and why or why not?

    Are there any alternatives I should consider? Please do not abbreviate or use acronyms in your recommendation because I have zero knowledge of the acronyms.

    Any information you can provide would be very helpful.
    Thanks!
    135
    HK
    0%
    8
    Colt
    0%
    1
    Sig
    0%
    25
    Browning
    0%
    4
    CZ
    0%
    15
    Glock
    0%
    50
    Ruger
    0%
    4
    S&W
    0%
    13
    Springfield
    0%
    9
    Walther
    0%
    0
    Beretta
    0%
    6
  • #2
    ZX-10R
    Veteran Member
    • May 2010
    • 4122

    M&P 9
    FNP-9
    Beretta M9A1/ 92 series

    Those are three 9s you should consider.

    M&P 45 and 1911 are the 45s I would buy. I am biased.
    USA**************************************************USA
    03 Chevy Trailblazer , 06 Kawi ZX-10R, 05 Kawi KX250F, 07 Yamaha YZ85 - PSL , AES-10B, (2x) WASR 10/63, Draco AK Pistol, Polish Underfolder, Polish Tantal, Daniel Defense M4, Franken-AR, 1945 Izzy M44, 1936 Tula 91/30, Remington 870 Express, Smith and Wesson M&P 45, FN FNP-9, COLT 1911 XSE . NYC in CA. [COLOR="Red"][B]Obama S(_)[KS!
    Southwest Sales Manager -SolidWorks.

    Comment

    • #3
      Fishslayer
      In Memoriam
      • Jan 2010
      • 13035

      My wife can handle either of my .45ACP OK for a couple of magazines and I wouldn't like a zombie's chances at 10 yards & in with her. And she REALLY likes shooting the 1911.

      But she can practice longer with her 9mm without getting worn out.

      'course, if you go with a .45 & it's too much for the missus, that's an excuse to get anoth... umm... I mean get her a nine for her own.

      'course, if she likes the .45 & you have to compete for trigger time, that's still an excuse to get another.
      "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
      You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
      You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."


      Originally Posted by JackRydden224
      I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
      Originally posted by redcliff
      A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.

      Comment

      • #4
        berto
        Calguns Addict
        • Oct 2005
        • 7723

        Borrow or rent before you buy. What I like and what works for me might not work for you.
        "There are no outdoor sports as graceful as throwing stones at a dictatorship." Ai WeiWei

        Comment

        • #5
          Kevin S
          Member
          • Apr 2011
          • 239

          I know you're leaning towards an automatic; but have you considered a revolver?
          A shorter-barrel .357 is what I started my wife on, mainly because;
          - you can fire .38 special. Nice and light for learning/plinking.
          - revolvers are much simpler to operate. Check clear, reloading, etc. (plus the charging of an automatic can be dangerous for first-time shooters, not having to rack can help her focus on muzzle discipline)
          - .357 for home defense is a good round. I read somewhere that a.357 will have less over-penetration through walls, etc (of course, the loads/bullet will vary quite a bit there; and I'm sure is the source of some debate!)

          My $.02...

          Comment

          • #6
            mauser98k
            Senior Member
            • Jun 2010
            • 819

            if i were in the market for a 9mm handgun, based on ones i've fired, my top 3 choices would be:

            Glock 17
            Beretta 92 FS
            Sig Sauer P226

            Comment

            • #7
              Joe
              Calguns Addict
              • Apr 2006
              • 5730

              If you're going to want something your wife can fire comfortably you're gonna need to bring her along to try some guns out. You two may be able to comfortably shoot the same gun or you may each need your own gun. For around $900 you may be able to get 2 guns

              sig pro sp2022 in 9mm for you and kahr cw9 for her.

              Comment

              • #8
                dicker
                Junior Member
                • Mar 2011
                • 23

                Find something she can rack the slide on comfortably.

                My girlfriend is 5'4 110 and not very strong, she likes shooting a full size 1911 in .45 better than my CZ 75 or my PX4 because the slide is easier for her to rack and the magazine is easier to load.

                (not saying there aren't 9mm's that aren't easy to rack, mine are just not the easiest to get a grip on)

                Comment

                • #9
                  jazman
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2008
                  • 2140

                  If you have your heart set on an auto loading pistol, you should both try a Glock 19. Compact size, 9 mm, simple as a revolver to operate; excellent gun. I would really recommend a revolver, much simpler to understand and use for starting out. I'd look at 4 inch barrel Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Colt (expensive) in .357, as you can also shoot .38 ammo. I agree with the others, take her to a range or two and try different guns until you find one that feels good to both of you.
                  Originally posted by Kestryll
                  You're boned.
                  _________________________________

                  If you're gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Kanester
                    Member
                    • Apr 2011
                    • 253

                    Go feel what fits best for you. That being said.....











                    GLOCK 17
                    "The gene pool could use a little chlorine..."

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      762.DEFENSE
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Aug 2010
                      • 6314

                      Glock 17/19

                      /thread lol.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        JaeFern
                        Senior Member
                        • May 2006
                        • 1796

                        Sig P226 or P229

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          GuillermoAntonio
                          Senior Member
                          • Feb 2011
                          • 1526

                          I love the HK Usp .45, I considered buying it, but the retail price and the ammo price were big turnoffs for me, and when I looked into the usp 9 I didnt like it, for me, It almost felt like an XD9...
                          I chose the all steel CZ-75 SP01 and couldnt be happier
                          Oh yeah and its sexy too!
                          Hungry for ammo?
                          San Diego Ammo GB from Bullet_man911 ****THE SAN DIEGO AMMO GROUP BUY****!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            SB23hater
                            Member
                            • Apr 2011
                            • 270

                            Go to a good Gun Range where you can rent these guns.

                            Personaly I love my Beretta 92 FS.

                            The Glock is 2nd. Just feels light and feels like a toy. (sorry Glock lovers JMO)

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              pkc168
                              Member
                              • May 2010
                              • 312

                              I vote for HK USP 9. If this is the only one I will ever have. However, for me, it never stops.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1