Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

affordable alternative to s&w?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cali_armz
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2011
    • 529

    affordable alternative to s&w?

    I have been entertaining the idea of purchasing a stainless steel .44 mag revolver for awhile now, having specific interest in the s&w 629, however, they are rather expensive. I was wondering if anyone here knew of any other revolvers which are just as high quality as the s&w, but with a more affordable price tag
  • #2
    NapaCountyShooter
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2009
    • 2417

    Ruger Redhawk/Super Redhawk

    /Thread
    Jonah

    Comment

    • #3
      jdg30
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2009
      • 1095

      I would recommend a Ruger. I have a SP101 and GP100 and they are great guns. They aren't quite as refined as a S&W out of the box but if you work on them a bit they can be made very nice. They are very well made and cost a reasonable price. My favorite gun is my SP101. I've shot thousands of rounds through it and it has never given me a single problem. I haven't gotten into .44 mag revolvers yet but I know you can't go wrong with a Ruger. They're all basically the same construction in different calibers.

      If it were me personally, I would rather have a S&W 629, but either the S&W or Ruger would serve you fine.

      Comment

      • #4
        davek8s
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2011
        • 2014

        I own 4 s&w revolvers. In my opinion, nothing compares to a smith. I have shot my friends Ruger sp101 in 357 and i rented a tarus once. Both quality fire arms, but not a nice as a smith

        Comment

        • #5
          cali_armz
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2011
          • 529

          Originally posted by jdg30
          I would recommend a Ruger. I have a SP101 and GP100 and they are great guns. They aren't quite as refined as a S&W out of the box but if you work on them a bit they can be made very nice. They are very well made and cost a reasonable price. My favorite gun is my SP101. I've shot thousands of rounds through it and it has never given me a single problem. I haven't gotten into .44 mag revolvers yet but I know you can't go wrong with a Ruger. They're all basically the same construction in different calibers.

          If it were me personally, I would rather have a S&W 629, but either the S&W or Ruger would serve you fine.
          im glad to hear that about rugers, because in the past ive heard people say that ruger pistols werent always 100% reliable,although, its possible that was implied about their semi autos. its hard to say because i havent had much experience with them.

          but that s&w 629 is incredibly appealing. it would be really cool to get a colt anaconda, but i doubt id find one in my price range

          Comment

          • #6
            kayaker
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2009
            • 1011

            Ruger revolvers are good, reliable guns. They are a tad heavier than comparable Smiths. I'd pass on a Taurus.

            Comment

            • #7
              cali_armz
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2011
              • 529

              its possible, maybe even more than likely il just go with the 629. any firearm i buy will be a fair amount of money. i might as well buy what i really want rather than get something cheaper

              Comment

              • #8
                cali_armz
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2011
                • 529

                Originally posted by kayaker
                Ruger revolvers are good, reliable guns. They are a tad heavier than comparable Smiths. I'd pass on a Taurus.
                yea i agree. ive heard a substantial amount of negative comments about taurus firearms

                Comment

                • #9
                  cali_armz
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2011
                  • 529

                  now this, is absolutely beautiful. stainless with a 5" barrel. absolutely perfect

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    NapaCountyShooter
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2009
                    • 2417

                    Originally posted by cali_armz
                    im glad to hear that about rugers, because in the past ive heard people say that ruger pistols werent always 100% reliable,although, its possible that was implied about their semi autos. its hard to say because i havent had much experience with them.

                    but that s&w 629 is incredibly appealing. it would be really cool to get a colt anaconda, but i doubt id find one in my price range
                    Ruger revolvers are built like a brick you know what house. You can blast away with them with max power loads all day long every day and you won't hurt them. If you want a nice, refined revolver, get the Smith. If you want a quality, utilitarian revolver that you'll never have to send back to get retimed after those thermonuclear handloads you made, get the Ruger.
                    Jonah

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      cali_armz
                      Senior Member
                      • Apr 2011
                      • 529

                      Originally posted by NapaCountyShooter
                      Ruger revolvers are built like a brick you know what house. You can blast away with them with max power loads all day long every day and you won't hurt them. If you want a nice, refined revolver, get the Smith. If you want a quality, utilitarian revolver that you'll never have to send back to get retimed after those thermonuclear handloads you made, get the Ruger.
                      geez, really? thats awesome. im just curious though, how do the s&w revolvers hold up? the timing issue is what discouraged me from buying any revolver in the past.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        bsg
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 25954

                        Originally posted by cali_armz
                        its possible, maybe even more than likely il just go with the 629. any firearm i buy will be a fair amount of money. i might as well buy what i really want rather than get something cheaper

                        get the one you want and don't look back.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          PutTogether
                          Senior Member
                          • Sep 2008
                          • 2370

                          Originally posted by cali_armz
                          its possible, maybe even more than likely il just go with the 629. any firearm i buy will be a fair amount of money. i might as well buy what i really want rather than get something cheaper

                          This. If you look at the grand scheme of cost of ownership/use of a firearm....the cost of the actual gun is minimal. If you own a .44 for thirty years (which should be easy with a good one) you'll end up shooting thousands and thousands of dollars worth of ammo, spending hundreds of dollars on gas to go shooting, potentially a lot of money hunting with it, etc etc etc.

                          Spending the extra few hundred to get the gun you really want is only a fraction of the grand total.


                          I like this one: (out of the lineup of new guns) with that 5" full underlug 629 you showed a picture of as a very very close second.

                          Last edited by PutTogether; 05-06-2011, 9:54 PM.
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            cali_armz
                            Senior Member
                            • Apr 2011
                            • 529

                            Originally posted by bsg
                            get the one you want and don't look back.
                            yea, thats what il end up doing. i am leaning towards the s&w. but i really like the idea of having a revolver that wont come out of alignment, even after i put thousands of rounds through it. id assume that s&w is just as reliable, but i need to find out more on the issue.

                            i really dont like the idea of needing to get my pistol serviced on a regular basis. i think im too used to the reliability of my glocks.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              PutTogether
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2008
                              • 2370

                              Originally posted by cali_armz

                              i really dont like the idea of needing to get my pistol serviced on a regular basis. i think im too used to the reliability of my glocks.
                              It is very, very, likely that 'regular basis' will equate to either never, or once, over the lifetime of that gun.

                              Unless you are constantly blasting away hard core .44 mag loads, I don't think you'll run into an issue. Losing timing on an S&W .44 is one of those things you read about a lot on the internet, but very VERY rarely encounter someone in real life who has had the same issue.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1