Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Gun in the Trunk

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • tanda10506
    Member
    • Mar 2010
    • 495

    Gun in the Trunk

    I've always carried a gun when going out of town or going to any bad parts of town. Most of the time it's in the trunk unless I just don't feel safe. I've never really worried about problems with one person, but there are a lot of gangs around here and a lot of stupid things happen. The way things are getting lately though I don't feel comfortable going anywhere, not even work, without a gun at least in my trunk. Not for the same reasons, but in case of an event that could be the final straw that causes major civil unreast. So my question is, with the weather being so hot here in southern kalifornia, can I leave a handgun and box of ammo in the trunk or will that cause problems with the ammo? Thanks
  • #2
    NotEnoughGuns
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2009
    • 1052

    I wouldn't worry about the heat or the "Heat"
    Remember your 4th amendment.
    Join the NRA today!

    Comment

    • #3
      Gio
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Nov 2008
      • 10251

      I leave my ammo boxes with 5.45 and 9mm in my trunk and even do spirited driving too. No problems yet,I also keep a few mags loaded next to my G19 just in case I need to protect/defend myself.
      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

      Comment

      • #4
        tanda10506
        Member
        • Mar 2010
        • 495

        I do leave a couple mags loaded with the gun when I put it in the trunk and I knew carrying a box of ammo also would be the same as a magazine temperature wise, I was just concerned about it being in my trunk day and night Monday through Friday. Sounds like you guys aren't having problems. As for the "heat", I know the 4th Amendment and I'm not really concerned with them at all. Was there something else you were suggesting or were you just letting me know not to worry about it?

        Comment

        • #5
          Nate87
          Member
          • Mar 2011
          • 196

          you should be good dude. i too have had ammo in the trunk or in direct sun light before and never had an issue. only time i've ever had rounds go off that were not in a firearm were in a burn pit. but its still possible i guess.
          sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            Bigtwin
            Veteran Member
            • May 2010
            • 2639

            It is amazing what temps loaded ammo can take! Even more amazing is what people think about it(not like it is a volitale explosive, get above/below this__ and bang or it is no good). I have had ammo at many extremes as well as the powder I have for reloading....works fine every time!
            NRA MEMBER

            Comment

            • #7
              ro442173
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2009
              • 1042

              I have a lockbox with a combo lock. I have on my lap while I drive. If I need it, it's there. If I get pulled over... it's legal.

              God thing about combo locks... you'll have to figure that one out for yourself.

              Comment

              • #8
                LovingTheYear1911
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2010
                • 1925

                Where do you guys live? Pakistan or something? To have a lockbox in your lap while driving.
                sigpic

                Comment

                • #9
                  Cokebottle
                  Señor Member
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Oct 2009
                  • 32373

                  It takes about 300 degrees to "cook off" a round.
                  Heat does not cause a notable deterioration in the powder.
                  - Rich

                  Originally posted by dantodd
                  A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    G1500
                    Senior Member
                    • Oct 2010
                    • 1825

                    Originally posted by NotEnoughGuns
                    I wouldn't worry about the heat or the "Heat"
                    Remember your 4th amendment.
                    And the 5th.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      paul0660
                      In Memoriam
                      • Jul 2007
                      • 15669

                      Originally posted by BernardKaram
                      Where do you guys live? Pakistan or something? To have a lockbox in your lap while driving.
                      Only one guy said that. Stop trolling.
                      *REMOVE THIS PART BEFORE POSTING*

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        m1a1driver
                        Senior Member
                        • Feb 2009
                        • 1031

                        I have a keyed lockbox in my glove box, however I am thinking about getting a combo lock. Is it legal to have the key inserted but have the box still locked?

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          SVRider
                          Senior Member
                          • Apr 2007
                          • 1914

                          If you worry about heat, get a small cooler and keep everything in that in your trunk.

                          There was a little freebie one that came as part of a set that would be just about perfect....it was about 8" x 10"...
                          FOR SALE:

                          Check back later

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            ro442173
                            Senior Member
                            • Feb 2009
                            • 1042

                            Originally posted by BernardKaram
                            Where do you guys live? Pakistan or something? To have a lockbox in your lap while driving.
                            East Oakland. Drop by some time

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              G1500
                              Senior Member
                              • Oct 2010
                              • 1825

                              Originally posted by Z_SprizL
                              +1 but make sure it's at night and keep your interior dome light on
                              Windows down too?




                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1