Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Loophole?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Skunk2Racer
    Member
    • Aug 2010
    • 191

    Loophole?

    I was wondering how long do you have to stay in another state to become a "resident"? I'm thinking change your drivers license to that states. Buy a few off roster guns then move back to Cali. And register your guns here. Should work. What are your thoughts?
    sigpic "Are You Listening to Me? Put that Hand on me again, And you won't get it back." ELI (Denzel Washington) "The Book Of Eli"
  • #2
    sirr6
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2008
    • 1428

    How are you gonna prove you live there? Have somene write a rental agreement?

    Comment

    • #3
      Skunk2Racer
      Member
      • Aug 2010
      • 191

      Stay with friends there for the minimum requirement to establish residency. Get a drivers license or ID card. Buy guns. Then in 2 or 3 months move back to Cali
      sigpic "Are You Listening to Me? Put that Hand on me again, And you won't get it back." ELI (Denzel Washington) "The Book Of Eli"

      Comment

      • #4
        Dirmer3
        Junior Member
        • Oct 2010
        • 67

        Hypothetically I think you'd have to find out what that states DMV requires as proof of residency and obtain a drivers license. Then, find out what that state requires as proof of residency to purchase a firearm. Then, you have your answer.

        Comment

        • #5
          Table Rock Arms
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2009
          • 812

          What are you looking for? I would think that either myself or one of the other FFL's doing single shot conversions could help you out. What your talking about seems a little impractical.

          Ryan

          Comment

          • #6
            Oceanbob
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jun 2010
            • 12720

            I can think of several problems

            One is most States require 6 months plus one day for declaring where you reside. Of course, if you have a real job in Arizona and an apartment..etc..then you are a resident of Arizona.

            When you buy a Weapon anywhere they run a National instant Criminal Backround check on you. Then the BATF (the FEDS) will be aware of your gun buying. Recently a man who had a Arizona ID card bought some weapons while he still lived in California. They tracked him and arrested him at his California home. The BATF shares information with the California DOJ as well.

            Once you get caught defrauding some Government Agency you will lose your Gun rights for life.

            This sort of scheme makes gun owners look bad.

            I would suggest you do several legal Single Shot exemptions thru any of the legitimate California FFLs. Sure it cost a little more but why risk any legal problems.?
            May the Bridges I burn light the way.

            Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

            Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).

            Comment

            • #7
              Skunk2Racer
              Member
              • Aug 2010
              • 191

              Yeah Bad Idea.......
              sigpic "Are You Listening to Me? Put that Hand on me again, And you won't get it back." ELI (Denzel Washington) "The Book Of Eli"

              Comment

              • #8
                SPaikmos
                Member
                • Dec 2009
                • 315

                I agree it's a bad idea. Certainly want to stay on the up and up with the feds.

                That said, I've always been curious about what is required to declare residency. That seems like such an amorphous thing to me. IIRC, most states require you to register your car and get a driver's license within 30 days of moving to the state. I don't know what kind of documentation you need in terms of address to get the reg and license; I'm sure a utility bill is good, but even a cell phone or bank statement may work.

                Anyway, it's a bad idea all around if you really don't reside in another state. But if you have 3 months off and can live in another state during that time... hmm... I wonder how this would work if you got laid off from a job and decided to relocate elsewhere, while collecting CA unemployment. Probably not a bright idea!

                Comment

                • #9
                  SantaCabinetguy
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Feb 2011
                  • 15142

                  The whole $$$$$$$$$ to properly establish residency + paperwork + time (negating the ethical/legality issue) > SS Exemption. The trouble has always been, for me, finding the parts + FFL to do the SS exemption, especially with the weird pistols I want .

                  I do have faith that CGN and other members here are the best shot at defeating the roster, all I have to do is be patient (which I struggle with...).
                  Hauoli Makahiki Hou


                  -------

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    locosway
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jun 2009
                    • 11346

                    I lived in Oregon for a month before I got my Oregon DL. As far as I know they don't have a requirement, or they didn't ask. All I needed to do was show them my birth certificate.

                    Rent is so cheap up there, I could easily rent a room and "move-in".
                    OCSD Approved CCW Instructor
                    NRA Certified Instructor
                    CA DOJ Certified Instructor
                    Glock Certified Armorer

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      flatovercrest
                      Senior Member
                      • Feb 2008
                      • 740

                      All this hassle to buy one 1911 instear of another one, or a judge instead of a S&W?
                      There are what, 1000 guns on the roster? Nothing that catches your attention, eh?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Can't buy anything here
                        Senior Member
                        • May 2006
                        • 797

                        Originally posted by Skunk2Racer
                        Stay with friends there for the minimum requirement to establish residency.
                        Doesn't sound like a great deal for your friends either...
                        3 day waiting period???? but I'm mad now!!!!!!

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Librarian
                          Admin and Poltergeist
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 44691

                          Feds do have their own ideas about residency - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...y_requirements
                          State of residence. The State in which an individual resides.

                          An individual resides in a State if he or she is present in a State
                          with the intention of making a home in that State.
                          Whatever you do, that would make the state where you move believe you are a resident, is what you have to do. I usually think of things already mentioned - get a new state DL, buy/rent a house, work there, pay taxes, vote.

                          You can sincerely believe you are moving to a new state, and something - your employer transfers you, some natural disaster destroys the business, urgent family matters, whatever - can come up to make you change plans.
                          ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

                          Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            sigfan91
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jun 2009
                            • 12390

                            Originally posted by Skunk2Racer
                            I was wondering how long do you have to stay in another state to become a "resident"? I'm thinking change your drivers license to that states. Buy a few off roster guns then move back to Cali. And register your guns here. Should work. What are your thoughts?
                            Why would you want to move back here?

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              762.DEFENSE
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Aug 2010
                              • 6314

                              Why not just up and move if its really that big of a deal to you? I know I want to move to AZ or TX once I'm done with school.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1