Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

US made revolvers

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Fireguy
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2009
    • 635

    US made revolvers

    I'm buying my 80 year old Dad a HD revolver, he will only accept USA made guns. It must be .38 / .357, I'm not sure about barrel length. What would you suggest and will grip size be an issue? ?
  • #2
    Vacaville
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 4360

    Ruger GP100 or S&W full size with a 4" barrel.

    Comment

    • #3
      BigDogatPlay
      Calguns Addict
      • Jun 2007
      • 7362

      80 years old.... how are his hands? Good shape or arthritic? How is his arm strength? If he's in good shape for an 80 year old (and bless him for a long life) a GP100 is possibly about the best bet with a four inch barrel in current production. And I am an S&W guy saying that.



      If he's not what he used to be arm and hand strength wise, consider trying to find an older S&W K frame .38/.357 in at most a four inch barrel, the .357's are in bold... model 10, 12, 13, 15, 19, 64, 65, 66 or 67. The advantages here are largely in weight. The heaviest four inch K frame is going to run ~34 ounces unloaded, the airweight Model 12 considerably less. Any of these that have been well maintained will give lifetimes of service and lend themselves well to smoothing by shooting, if nothing else, if they aren't already well worn in.

      You might also consider a Ruger SP101, which is a five shot .38/.357 in current production, or an older Ruger Security Six, Service Six or Speed Six. Any of those will fill the bill nicely.

      Grips can be interchanged easily and cheaply. I am a big fan of Pachmayr Gripper Professional on my S&W's. They are made for smaller hands but large handed guys like me have found that they work very well.
      -- Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun

      Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

      Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison

      Comment

      • #4
        SAR_boats
        Member
        • Nov 2010
        • 236

        Charter Arms, S&W, Ruger, Used Colt Python, Freedom Arms

        4" or 5" barrel, unless he is willing to practice enough with it to get proficient with something shorter.
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          FUBAR
          Senior Member
          • May 2010
          • 2453

          S&W 686-M, 686-1,686-2,686-3, or 686-4. Don't compromise.

          Comment

          • #6
            darkest2000
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2006
            • 1413

            Plenty of options if that's his only criteria.
            www.collectordesignwerks.com

            Comment

            • #7
              rattlesnake_nm
              Banned
              • Jan 2011
              • 666

              Every now and again I see cheap colt trooper mkIIIs. I picked up one with a 6 inch barrel for $250 last weekend.

              Comment

              • #8
                scarville
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                • Feb 2009
                • 2325

                Ruger or S&W will meet his made in USA requirement.

                Which revolver to get depends a lot on his hand size, strength and length of his fingers. I have rather small hands and, for me, the L-frame S&W is just right. When I grab one with a hogue grip my finger fits rights where it should be on the trigger. The N-Frames are a little big though not unmanagably so. The K-frames are a bit small but still comfortable and I can add a nice Pachmayr grip to increase the reach to the trigger and cushion the recoil. The GP-100 feels like an N-frame to me but I know you can get a smaller grip for it. In fact the design of the GP-100 allows for a wider range of grip styles and shapes

                If you need to do any action work to make the gun smoother and get a lighter trigger I think that is easier to do on a S&W.
                Politicians and criminals are moral twins separated only by legal fiction.

                Comment

                • #9
                  bsg
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 25954

                  whatever list you come up with... include the K frame S&W for consideration.

                  BigDogatPlay gave you some noteworthy advise above.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Fireguy
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2009
                    • 635

                    Thanks for your help.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1