Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Difference between m9 and 92/92fs

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • StraightShooter
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2007
    • 2189

    Difference between m9 and 92/92fs

    I was wondering what the difference between the Beretta M9 and the 92 is. I have one that is stamped m9 but all the other ones i have ever seen are either stamped 92 or 92fs depending on the model. I dont really know much about handguns so if this is dumb question please bear with me. Thanks.

    Brandon M.
  • #2
    EBWhite
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2006
    • 2116

    M9 has m9 stampings along with us govt. numbers, special serial, no warning label, military 3 dot sights, military maritime coating. Id go with the m9 buddy.

    Comment

    • #3
      STAGE 2
      Calguns Addict
      • Feb 2006
      • 5907

      The only differnce is the rollmarks and the sights. I've never heard about the special coating so I can't verify that. But for all practical purposes they are an identical gun.
      attorneys use a specific analytical framework beaten into the spot that used to house our common sense

      Comment

      • #4
        slick_711
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2006
        • 4400

        Originally posted by EBWhite
        M9 has m9 stampings along with us govt. numbers, special serial, no warning label, military 3 dot sights, military maritime coating. Id go with the m9 buddy.
        Actually, it's the Beretta 92FS that has the 3 dot sights. The M9 has 2 dot sights, similar to the non-nightsight Sigs. I'm not sure on the coating but that sounds like something the military would do.

        They're the same pistol really, the only difference to you on the consumer/shooter end is the sights. (and perhaps the rollmarks but that is purely cosmetic).

        Either way Beretta is no longer making the 92FS and I doubt they'll be making [m]any more M9s so if you want one get it now.

        Comment

        • #5
          Dump1567
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2002
          • 1621



          Similarities / Difference - USA / Italian 92FS and M9 (what's better?):

          simple answer is that they are all the same.

          From Beretta regarding the USA 92FS and Italian 92FS:

          Quote:
          Cold hammer forged barrel
          Italian markings
          Barrel will be marked "9MM"

          Note that previously, it was thought that the barrel was cold hammer forged in the Italian versions, but that is NOT true. For this reason, this it has been grayed out. (PX4 and Cougar barrels are, however). Apparently, the barrel isn't always marked 9mm either.

          The differences between the M9 and 92FS:
          • The M9 usually has a straight dustcover and non-radiused backstrap
          • The 92FS (recent model) has a radiused backstrap and angled dustcover
          • M9 markings (including proof markings and cage # markings)
          • M9 lacks the warning to read owner's manual
          • The rear sight of the 92FS has 2 dots, whereas the M9 has a single half-moon
          • M9 (unless special or limited edition) comes in cardboard box, with no plastic hard case

          All model 92/M9/M9A1/96/90Two model barrels are made the same way.

          All other aspects of 92FS and M9 are similar/identical. This includes warnings and polymer coated parts.
          Watch & Pray

          Comment

          • #6
            AJAX22
            I need a LIFE!!
            • May 2006
            • 14980

            so which designation has the accessory rail?
            Youtube Channel Proto-Ordnance

            Subscribe to Proto Ordnance

            Comment

            • #7
              StraightShooter
              Senior Member
              • Jun 2007
              • 2189

              Thanks guys, i actually bought the m9 about a month ago and am pretty happy with it. Like I said, im not real knowledgeable about handguns, rifles are more my thing, so i just assumed an m9 was a 92 so i am even more happy with it after reading your posts. Thanks guys.

              Brandon M.

              Comment

              • #8
                EBWhite
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2006
                • 2116

                M9A1 has the rail but at almost another 250+ bucks plus its not worth it IMO..
                I believe the M9 also has the lanyard loop on the bottom, i dont think the 92 has it. maybe it does, someone with a 92 can answer that

                Comment

                • #9
                  Dump1567
                  Senior Member
                  • Sep 2002
                  • 1621

                  Originally posted by EBWhite
                  M9A1 has the rail but at almost another 250+ bucks plus its not worth it IMO..
                  I believe the M9 also has the lanyard loop on the bottom, i dont think the 92 has it. maybe it does, someone with a 92 can answer that
                  It does.
                  Watch & Pray

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    metalhead357
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 5546

                    I dont recall ever seeing a 92 without a laynard loop..........
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered....
                    I am not a number! I am a free man

                    1.)All humanity would be better off if Stoooopid hurt.
                    2.)Why is it that if guns are sooooo unsafe that you're 9 times more likely to die at the hands of your doctor?
                    3.)Remember...Buy it cheap & stack it deep

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Mr. Beretta
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Dec 2005
                      • 6614

                      Welcome to the family!

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1