Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Please school me on .38 super

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Lucky Scott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 2610

    Please school me on .38 super

    Got a buddy that just picked up a colt .38 super and loves it. I am not familiar with the .38 super, can someone please teach me a little?
    He says it is like a pissed off 9 mm.
    I am familiar with .38 special, .38 S&W, and of course 9 mm.

    His gun is a 1911 style colt from (I think) the 1970's.

    How does this round compare to .38 special, 9mm, .40, and .45 calibers?
  • #2
    jmzhwells
    Senior Member
    • May 2008
    • 1111

    It's a pretty sweet round. Just shy of the 357 sig. And you can usually find em in 1911s.
    Originally posted by bohoki
    oh man i think i threw up in my mouth a little
    Originally posted by Soldier415
    My staff is now at 10 beers, and has a tactical red lgt ont it, and is being ttached to me by a single point sling

    i AM THE WISEST MOST TACTICAL WIZARD

    Comment

    • #3
      C73P
      Junior Member
      • Oct 2010
      • 74

      All I know is I got one and I love It!!!!!!!!!!

      Comment

      • #4
        five.five-six
        CGN Contributor
        • May 2006
        • 34928

        just keep picking up the brass, it's hard to find and new ammo is expensive and hard to find, but it's ballisticly a great round, 9mm on steroids

        Comment

        • #5
          locosway
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jun 2009
          • 11346

          Originally posted by Lucky Scott
          Got a buddy that just picked up a colt .38 super and loves it. I am not familiar with the .38 super, can someone please teach me a little?
          He says it is like a pissed off 9 mm.
          I am familiar with .38 special, .38 S&W, and of course 9 mm.

          His gun is a 1911 style colt from (I think) the 1970's.

          How does this round compare to .38 special, 9mm, .40, and .45 calibers?
          The .38 super is great because of it's versatility. It's very similar to a 10mm in that respect. You can go really lite and get an easy shooting round, or you can go hot and really make some noise.

          If I wasn't a 10mm fan then I'd consider a .38 super. Heck, I still might some day, but it would be after a .45 and 10mm in a 1911 style gun before I went for a .38 super.
          OCSD Approved CCW Instructor
          NRA Certified Instructor
          CA DOJ Certified Instructor
          Glock Certified Armorer

          Comment

          • #6
            ch89lx
            Member
            • Feb 2009
            • 329

            Great caliber but very hard to find ammo, and when you do its kinda pricey.

            Comment

            • #7
              FS00008
              Senior Member
              • May 2008
              • 1975

              Reloading is the only way to go in this caliber. I have found some really good deals on Mexican Aguila .38 super at gunshows (Like cheaper than 9MM wolf even..), so it's findable, but a lot more rare.
              "No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
              legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer."

              Comment

              • #8
                kTC xDEICIDEx
                Member
                • Sep 2010
                • 408

                Lucky mofo! Can't get a Colt 38 Super here in Cali. Tell your friend to let you try it out. Here's my .38 Super it's a great shooter!

                Comment

                • #9
                  ch89lx
                  Member
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 329

                  Originally posted by kTC xDEICIDEx
                  Lucky mofo! Can't get a Colt 38 Super here in Cali. Tell your friend to let you try it out. Here's my .38 Super it's a great shooter!

                  single shot exempt??

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    kTC xDEICIDEx
                    Member
                    • Sep 2010
                    • 408

                    Yea I was thinking about that but that Kimber Raptor is calling my name lol 

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      C73P
                      Junior Member
                      • Oct 2010
                      • 74

                      That true I wanted a Colt 38 super also but we can so I got this!!
                      Attached Files

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Quiet
                        retired Goon
                        • Mar 2007
                        • 30242

                        .38Super was introduced in 1929.
                        It was developed as a high performance version of the .38ACP.
                        It was the hotest/fastest 9mm/.38 calibered bullet until the introduction of the .357Magnum in 1934.

                        During the 1930s, it was favored by some gangsters due to it's ability to penetrate through the bullet resistant vests of the time and car doors.

                        The .38Super is popular in certain Central & South American countries due to those countries gun laws making it the most powerfull cartridge available for civilian use.
                        sigpic

                        "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          FNH5-7
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Sep 2009
                          • 9407

                          Popular round with the Mexican crowd.

                          I love to shoot the .38 Super. Colt .38 Supers are highly collectible. I'm a 45 kinda guy but .38 Super is a close second. What I dislike about that round is the fact that it's not very popular other than that it's great.

                          This round is most popular in 1911's

                          38 Special<9mm<.38 Super

                          Here's some .38 Supers:
                          Colt 38 Super "El Embajador"

                          Colt 38 Super "El Toro"

                          Colt 38 Super "El Campeon"

                          Colt 38 Super "El Matador"

                          Colt 38 Super, "Super Stallion"

                          Colt 38 Super, "Dia de Los Muertos"
                          Originally posted by FalconLair
                          I weep for my country and what it is becoming.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            psango
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Jul 2009
                            • 1303

                            Not Just 1911's

                            Sig Sauer also made 38 Super's here is my P220:



                            Ammo available on line from:
                            Nachez Shooters Supply, Ammunition to Go, and others, usually starting at about 16.95 per. 50 fmj.

                            This is a good place for 38 Super information: http://www.38super.net/
                            Last edited by psango; 03-25-2011, 11:42 AM.
                            Always remember to pillage before you burn.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              LovingTheYear1911
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2010
                              • 1925

                              Pretty much what they said. I like the round but its hard to find and not that cheap. I have 38 super 1911 but converted it to 9mm. I guess it doesnt make a difference when your shooting paper, right?
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1