Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Derringers???

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • RolinThundr
    Senior Member
    • May 2009
    • 1228

    Derringers???

    Are there any Derringer pistols on the Roster? I know that NAA makes a few but I've only known them to have .22lr, looking for something with a little more kick but I'm not familiar with any other manufacturers.
    "The Gun is Civilization", Written By Marko Kloos

    "The more corrupt the state, the more laws." -Tacitus, Publius Cornelius

    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum."
  • #2
    gobi fish
    Banned
    • Mar 2011
    • 345

    Naa makes their mini revolvers in .22wmr.

    note a .22lr can and will kill a human very very easily! also, when you hear a .22lr much less a .22wmr go off out of a 1 7/8 inch barrel (which sounds more like a .40 or .45acp), your gonna run away (if your smart!).

    What kinda animal are you planning on taking down with a Derringer that a NAA cant?

    Comment

    • #3
      JeffM
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2007
      • 4359

      Originally posted by gobi fish
      Naa makes their mini revolvers in .22wmr.

      note a .22lr can and will kill a human very very easily! also, when you hear a .22lr much less a .22wmr go off out of a 1 7/8 inch barrel (which sounds more like a .40 or .45acp), your gonna run away (if your smart!).

      What kinda animal are you planning on taking down with a Derringer that a NAA cant?
      Ice picks and round-house kicks have killed people as well, but it does not mean they are ideal.

      If it's all you have or all you can carry for one reason or another, it's better than nothing. There are however better choices (not to say that a derringer is one of them). Several Cobra derringers are on the list.

      IMHO with the little .380s on the market now, there is absolutely no reason to carry a NAA revolver or a derringer. They are substandard self defense weapons that take up the same space and often weigh more than the Ruger LCP, Kahr P380, Diamondback 380, etc.

      Comment

      • #4
        Rudolf the Red
        Senior Member
        • Jul 2008
        • 1038

        There are several models of derringers on the roster made by Cobra Enterprises. 22LR, 22MAG, 32ACP, and .38Special.
        sigpic
        NRA Benefactor Life Member
        01 Dealer Redding, CA
        US Army MP Corps Veteran
        Former NRA Pistol Coach Level 3

        I am always looking for Beretta D models in 9mm or a Compact Type M.

        Comment

        • #5
          maxicon
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 4661

          Larger caliber derringers come onto the used market now and again, usually in excellent, low-mileage shape. This is because people buy them because they're cool, shoot them a few times, and never take them out again, due to the painful recoil, awful ergonomics, terrible accuracy, and lack of practical applications.

          Rimfire derringers are more fun to shoot, but again, are pretty near useless. Too low power for any serious use, too inaccurate for fun shooting.

          None of them get anywhere near the performance their chambered cartridge can supply, due to the very short barrels. This causes reduced muzzle energy, as the powder hasn't finished burning before the bullet's exited the barrel, and tumbling, keyholing bullets due to the very short dwell time in the barrel not putting enough spin on it.

          Add in that most have very heavy triggers, and many don't have trigger guards, and there's just not much positive about them.

          About all derringers are good for is ultra-deep last-ditch backup, and the number of shooters who actually need something like that probably represent a fraction of a percent of the shooter population.

          I'd agree with JeffM - an ultra-compact .380 is a far more effective and useful tiny pistol for any practical use.
          sigpic
          NRA Life Member

          Comment

          • #6
            rudigan
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2011
            • 2061

            Originally posted by JeffM
            Ice picks and round-house kicks have killed people as well, but it does not mean they are ideal.

            If it's all you have or all you can carry for one reason or another, it's better than nothing. There are however better choices (not to say that a derringer is one of them). Several Cobra derringers are on the list.

            IMHO with the little .380s on the market now, there is absolutely no reason to carry a NAA revolver or a derringer. They are substandard self defense weapons that take up the same space and often weigh more than the Ruger LCP, Kahr P380, Diamondback 380, etc.
            You would think, and that may be in some cases, but I have both a P380 and a NAA 22lr Mini Revolver and the 22 is actually quite a bit smaller and lighter, so if you just can't take the .380 (like when wearing a speedo...nevermind), the 22 is better than nothing. Here are some size and loaded weight images of mine.





            Member & Contributor CRPA/NRA

            Comment

            • #7
              hntnnut
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2008
              • 1066

              I agree with the what has been said above, but would rather be armed with a derringer than unarmed. Mines in .45 L.C..
              Funny side story with this gun, when I bought it I bought a 50 rd box of shell with it and stopped at the local range on the way home where I shot the entire box. Latter that night readding through the owners manual it warned to not shoot more than I believe it was 16 rounds in a range session. The following day I had pain in every joint from my fingers all the way up to and including my elbow.




              Richard.
              "This country with it's institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing goverment, they can excercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismemember or overthrow it."
              Abe Lincoln

              ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

              Comment

              • #8
                WDoc
                Junior Member
                • Apr 2011
                • 17

                I was wondering if American Derringer pistols are CA legal. It looks like the one above is of that make. I'm not talking for self defense, just fun shooting and collecting.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Tripper
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Jan 2011
                  • 7628

                  A guy on the board here is selling a 45 derringer I think, my local gun shop has a couple early 1900 derringers in I think close to 41 caliber if I recall correctly, really old ones for the most part, but look in board here for one.
                  WTB NAA Belt Buckle
                  MILITARY STRETCHER/RADIATION DETECTION KIT

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    strapbytaurus
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2011
                    • 68

                    Can someone try to translate a recoil of a 38 special from a derringer to a pistol of full size? Would it be like a freakin .50 cal or what?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      cudakidd
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2007
                      • 3354

                      I have two American Derringers, in 38/357. Very pleasant to shoot up to+P. Since I have a CCW and the wife will soon have one too these have a use. As a back up boot gun/purse it is a lot better then the equivalent size .22 and is smaller and hander then anything comparable. Two shots in something you can conceal is better then Pepper spray and a prayer!
                      TURNING and turning in the widening gyre
                      The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
                      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
                      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                      Are full of passionate intensity.

                      William Butler Yeats 1865-1939

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Dion
                        Senior Member
                        • Feb 2011
                        • 818

                        I just paid for a dirt cheap .25 acp from a fellow CG'er and still have to do all the PPT + gun jail crap. Although I sincerely don't believe it is the ultimate self defense weapon, there is a lot to be said about a mouse gun as a last ditch effort in self preservation.

                        Shoot pieces of hot lead at somebody or belly up and get taken? I choose the hot lead.

                        Ultimately, I'd like to pony up the funds for a 380.
                        www.dionridesbikes.com

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          strapbytaurus
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2011
                          • 68

                          Dude judging from your picture, you exceed the manliness of the guy from Machete. I will disregard your comment. Lol

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1