Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

decision: 1911 RIA gi Vs SA milspec

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ren
    Senior Member
    • May 2007
    • 1132

    decision: 1911 RIA gi Vs SA milspec

    first 1911 I will purchase. I've shot both but can't decide. aside from their cost difference and the features on the milspec, what would be the better choice?
  • #2
    himurax13
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2009
    • 3895

    Depends on what you plan on using it for, depends on how it looks and feels to you. The Tactical is basically good to go right out of the box. It has a lot of Custom features at a reasonable price.

    Although the Milspec has a better frame and Slide, some don't like the Milspec due to:

    1. Standard Eagle Claw Safety and Spur Hammer (Tactical has a Beavertail and Commander Hammer)
    2. Crappy Trigger (Tactical is slightly better)
    3. Heavy Trigger Pull with Lots of Creep (Tactical is better)
    4. Small Sights (Tactical is better)
    5. No Full Length Guide Rod (Tactical has one)
    Last edited by himurax13; 03-02-2011, 5:11 PM.
    Originally posted by Bumslie
    HK - the best 600 dollar gun, 900 dollars can buy.
    Originally posted by Sleighter
    Getting legal advice from a gun salesman, is like getting medical advice from a janitor at a hospital. Both make about the same per hour and both prove that being around something all day doesn't make you an expert.

    Lifetime NRA member.

    Comment

    • #3
      evidens83
      Calguns Addict
      • Apr 2009
      • 7839

      Originally posted by renski
      what would be the better choice?
      RIA Tactical
      WTS 10/22 Lasermax laser CHEAP!!!

      Comment

      • #4
        honeywalnutshrimp
        Member
        • Jun 2010
        • 171

        Tactical out of the box is really nice standard GI ria is super inexpensive but to add the things onto the GI that the tactical already has would cost more then just buying the tac first... Sa mil spec is a good looking gun especially in stainless but will cost you more then the already decked out ria tactical which has imo just as if not better reputation for being solid out of the box... So its your choice I would personally spend less and get more with ria but many 1911 users would say otherwise because to some the ria is a poormans 1911 even though its accurate reliable and looks like any other 1911.. Oh its "cast and not forged" apparently a lot of people have been having problems breaking there cast framed firearms like the gp100 that thing breaks all the time... End sarcasm... Get whichever you like both companies are solid

        Comment

        • #5
          alex45auto
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2008
          • 987

          RIA frame and slide is casted by Armscorp in the Philippines. I lean towards forged frame and slide from Brazil for SA.

          Comment

          • #6
            Chief-7700
            Veteran Member
            • May 2008
            • 3382

            Springfield's customer service is tied for first place with Dillon's.

            XL-650 to feed the: .45ACP's Les Baer Concept V, Ruger SR 1911, Ruger Nightwatchman,custom built Colt M1911, Springfield .45ACP Loaded.. 9MM SA Range Officer,Ruger P-85, Springfield Stainless 9MM loaded, SA 9MM 5.25" XDM, Springfield 9mm Stainless Range Officer, STI double stack .45ACP.
            IDPA A41750 Safety Officer
            NRA Certified RSO
            "Stay out of the deep end of the pool; correct the problem with your credit card, not your dremel!"

            Comment

            • #7
              C73P
              Junior Member
              • Oct 2010
              • 74

              I just shot my RIA in 38 super first time 100 round no problems!!!! I now love the 38 super but its expensive and hard to get. I would go with the RIA!

              Comment

              • #8
                JanG
                Senior Member
                • Oct 2009
                • 1005

                that's the reason i sold my ria 38 super and went back to 45 auto

                op... you can't go wrong with either one. it really depends on your budget and what features you want. the way i see it, unless you're sponsored by an ammunition company, you won't shoot them often enough to cause catastrophic damage. and in case you do, the warranty is there to cover you.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") Copy and paste this bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.!!!
                Reply With Quote

                Originally posted by AutoDriver
                Most in-laws have a no return policy on wives. But I do understand how you feel. As soon as I left the chappel, I started thinking maybe I should have gotten a different woman. Oh well, I'll just have to wait another 30 years to get the other one. Oh, the pain ...

                Comment

                • #9
                  DaveFJ80
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 2066

                  If the OP is in So Cal, today would've been a good day to just pick up the RIA 1911 GI model from Turner's and play with that (great sale price they had today). I've seen a few ranges (LAGC, LPFR, and OC Indoor for example) have the SA 1911 GI models that you can rent. Worst case you don't like the RIA, sell it and pick up the Springfield.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    S dot
                    Member
                    • Nov 2010
                    • 235

                    Originally posted by alex45auto
                    RIA frame and slide is casted by Armscorp in the Philippines. I lean towards forged frame and slide from Brazil for SA.
                    Only the frame is cast. The slide is not.

                    The 1911 also has a much longer history in the Philippines (second only to the US of course) than Brazil.

                    They make the slide barrel and frame for the STI Spartan if im not mistaken as well.

                    They are also a lifetime guarantee

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ren
                      Senior Member
                      • May 2007
                      • 1132

                      yea I'm located in SD. I was playing with the idea of GI from turners knowing them it will go on sale again. might just get the RIA tactical

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        kahai808
                        Senior Member
                        • Jun 2010
                        • 745

                        the RIA GI was $379 at turners yesterday.
                        Originally posted by OutlawDon
                        The mission will drive the equipment choice. Choose wisely.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Darklyte27
                          Calguns Addict
                          • May 2008
                          • 9372

                          Upgrade to tactical better sights trigger etc
                          I just got mine
                          2 HANDGUNS STOLEN! 1 RECOVERED READ HERE

                          Chickens

                          Want to get into Ham Radio? Click here
                          http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=202581

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            esartori
                            Senior Member
                            • Jul 2010
                            • 745

                            Sa milspec. Mine has been flawless and super reliable

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              m98
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2005
                              • 4088

                              My vote goes out to SA. Superb cust service. If you want to spend less then get the RIA. They do make decent 1911's but expect to do some minor mods to the gun to improve reliability. From what i've seen it's somewhat a hit or miss on RIA's.
                              "Screw U guys, I'm going home"...:the great Eric Cartman

                              10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1