Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

grip tape grips

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Vanilla Gorilla
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Aug 2010
    • 11015

    grip tape grips

    has anyone here made there own grip tape grips if so how did you do it i am looking to make my own grip tape grips but i want some ideas on how to do it any help would be appreciated
    That punk pulled a Glock 7 on me. You know what that is? It's a porcelain gun made in Germany. Dosen't show up on your airport X-ray machines, here, and it cost more than you make in a month.
    -John McClane
  • #2
    RollingCode3
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 3221

    Talon gun grips



    Any gun owner who does not support the NRA is a freeloader.

    Comment

    • #3
      Vanilla Gorilla
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Aug 2010
      • 11015

      nice how well do they stick?
      That punk pulled a Glock 7 on me. You know what that is? It's a porcelain gun made in Germany. Dosen't show up on your airport X-ray machines, here, and it cost more than you make in a month.
      -John McClane

      Comment

      • #4
        Voo
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2008
        • 1702

        Uh, yea.. Get some really old scissors cause "dear mum'" is gonna kill you if you take her favorite pair.. an X-acto or similar type razor/cutting device is also desirable to have.

        If you're trying to get a super precise/clean looking fit, then try getting some copy paper and draw/cut shapes that you'll want.. Once you've got teh desired shape, dry fit them and see how they look.. if it looks reasonable, go ahead and transfer the image onto the back of the grip tape with a marking pen and start cutting..

        I typically skip this process and go straight to cutting large, rectangular pieces to fit the flats/side panels of the gun first..I've stopped trying to make it pretty and go for functionality and overall coverage.. Once both sides are done, I often take another larger piece (or several smaller pieces) and cover the entire front strap. This helps keep the side panels from lifting during use..

        Grip tape is so cheap that if you dont' like the current application, you can easily start over with the remaining 20+ feet until you get it to where you life..

        YMMV

        ps. I forgot to mention, before applying the grip tape, give it a really REALLY good degreasing.. Simple Green followed by a water rinse is awesome at removing oil/grease residue.. This will go a long way towards keeping the grip tape well adhered to the gun..
        Last edited by Voo; 02-15-2011, 7:59 PM.
        Aloha snackbar!

        Comment

        • #5
          Runin Ronin
          Junior Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 56

          I went to Sport Chalet and bought some skateboard tape for $7 and cut a very small piece for my EMP front strap.... I have enough leftover to cut another... oh I would guess 80 more EMP front straps. It sticks to the frame very well, once you've applied it, wrap a bunch of rubber bands around it overnight. You'll be gtg

          Comment

          • #6
            BamBam-31
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            • Dec 2005
            • 5318

            I use blue painters tape to make my own stencils. Tape up your current grips, draw the outlines you like, then cut them out. Presto! Stencils you can stick over the skateboard tape.
            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              Voo
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2008
              • 1702

              Originally posted by BamBam-31
              I use blue painters tape to make my own stencils. Tape up your current grips, draw the outlines you like, then cut them out. Presto! Stencils you can stick over the skateboard tape.
              painters tape.. sons!
              Aloha snackbar!

              Comment

              • #8
                BamBam-31
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                • Dec 2005
                • 5318

                ...er, I mean CNC laser cut decals....
                sigpic

                Comment

                • #9
                  Vanilla Gorilla
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Aug 2010
                  • 11015

                  cool i am going to see if my local skate shop has some cool colored grip tape
                  That punk pulled a Glock 7 on me. You know what that is? It's a porcelain gun made in Germany. Dosen't show up on your airport X-ray machines, here, and it cost more than you make in a month.
                  -John McClane

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Desert_Rat
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2007
                    • 2289

                    I've been looking for quite a while for the old T&C Surf designs "Thrilla Gorilla" character on some skate board grip tapes like I had when I was a kid. one day I'll find it and make My grip with that.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      badreligion
                      Senior Member
                      • May 2007
                      • 538

                      I did both of my OD Glocks (21 and 22) using the painters tape method. I got a roll of 2" wide grip tape from home depot (black floor/stair safety). I didn't want black grip tape on my OD frames so I took several different colors of krylon paint and sprayed them on a few sections of the tape. Basically the wet paints blended together and I got a few custom strips of grip tape. I then took the painters tape and made my templates were I wanted to add the grip tape and cut my patterns. Put those patterns on the grip tape and using my EMT shears and small heavy scissors cut my grip tape. Dry fit them did some trimming, pulled the sticky backing off and applied the grip tape. I put a few drops of super glue on some corners and areas that may pull up over time. Put a bunch of rubber bands around the grip tape to force form it in some odd angle areas for a few days.

                      After almost a year the tape still feels new and is not showing any signs of pulling up or falling off and only some very very small dots where the paint has rubbed off.

                      Painting the grip tape with several thick layers of krylon also gave me some unforseen advantages imho. One the paint makes the grip feel more rubbery and is kinder to your hands while shooting. Two you don't get that metallic glitter look like the grips Code3 posted above. And 3 the grips are more tolerent to chemicals, sweat and grim.

                      My buddy did his black Glock 22 at the same time as me but with unpainted grip tape. After 200 rounds at the range with no gloves his hands were fairly chewed up while mine felt just fine. He tried mine a few days later and loved the feel. So he took off his unpainted grip tape and redid his but this time painting the grip tape flat black.
                      Some people will do skanky things for $25, and not all those people are crack whores.

                      Bill Wiese
                      San Jose, CA

                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        hkdad
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 3112

                        another vote for talon grips



                        i use their grips to make a stencil, then transferred it after wards to a piece of skateboard tape. now all my glocks, my friends glocks, my relatives glocks etc.... are rocking one.
                        ˙ǝuılƃıs ʎɯ uı ʇnd oʇ ɹǝʌǝlɔ ƃuıɥʇʎuɐ ɟo ʞuıɥʇ ʇ,uɐɔ I

                        "I see an empty magazine, I think it needs to be loaded." -hickok45

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          ninjawho?
                          Senior Member
                          • Jan 2011
                          • 649

                          Calguns hermit
                          Left Wing or right wing..argue all you want the flight plan stays the same.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Rigma
                            Senior Member
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 988

                            Originally posted by Desert_Rat
                            I've been looking for quite a while for the old T&C Surf designs "Thrilla Gorilla" character on some skate board grip tapes like I had when I was a kid. one day I'll find it and make My grip with that.
                            Brilliant!
                            I don't know how political I am, I don't get into all that crap....I just love freedom...
                            -Kaziah Hancock

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Ibgreezy
                              Senior Member
                              • Jun 2010
                              • 509

                              Do they got digi-camo grip tape?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1