Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

speer lawman ammo

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jack L
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Oct 2010
    • 1721

    speer lawman ammo

    Has anyone here used this ammo for target shooting? It's really inexpensive. What exactly is it? Comes in many calibers.

    Thanks

  • #2
    Falconis
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2008
    • 1688

    I've used some before and if I remember correctly, they're "cost savings measure" is using an unreloadable aluminum casing.

    Comment

    • #3
      Old4eyes
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2010
      • 1757

      It's good stuff. I've shot this in multiple calibers and it works quite well. Fairly clean, accurate and usually priced quite well.

      Lawman is Speer's line of training/plinking ammo.
      Their self defense line - Gold Dot - is highly regarded by many.

      And it's is brass casing. Falconis may be thinking of one of the lines of Blazer, which is aluminum.
      Last edited by Old4eyes; 01-30-2011, 8:25 AM. Reason: Brass, not aluminum
      Send Lawyers, Guns and Money - On second thought, hold the Lawyers.

      Comment

      • #4
        kln5
        Member
        • Aug 2010
        • 220

        I have and do use speer lawman ammo. It is good stuff and the brass is reloadable.
        sigpicThe very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference-they deserve a place of honor with all that is good. -George Washington

        Comment

        • #5
          003
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2010
          • 3436

          I use it all the time. First rate in every respect. It is brass cased ammunition and reloadable. To be perfectly honest, I cannot understand why it is so inexpensive, (not cheap). I go through 600-800 rounds of 9mm a month. Never had an issue.

          Comment

          • #6
            Oceanbob
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jun 2010
            • 12720

            You're thinking of aluminum BLAZER

            Originally posted by Falconis
            I've used some before and if I remember correctly, they're "cost savings measure" is using an unreloadable aluminum casing.
            Which comes with an aluminum case. Not reloadable but good range ammo none the less.

            Speer is brass and reloadable and a good option for shooting.

            Blazer Brass is also inexpensive (a WALMART request) and is reloadable as well.
            May the Bridges I burn light the way.

            Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

            Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).

            Comment

            • #7
              puropuro
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
              • Nov 2008
              • 650

              I bought 1000 rounds of it from SGammo last year, for a training class.
              Works great, and I'd buy it again. Only thing I can think of to nit-pick would be that the blue ink on the box tends to come off on your hands. Ammo is great though and even feeds in my Kimber (and the bullet has a flat nose)

              Comment

              • #8
                Jack L
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                CGN Contributor
                • Oct 2010
                • 1721

                Thanks for the input. It's amazingly inexpensive, half the cost of most other target ammo. Just ordered some.

                Comment

                • #9
                  berg
                  Senior Member
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 1963

                  You called this "target shooting" ammo but I assume you mean "plinking" or "practice" ammo. Don't expect competition-level accuracy with Lawman ammo.

                  As with any ammo of this calibre (pun intended), check each cartridge for defects before loading into your magazine. Quality control is not as high (which is why the price is so low).

                  I shoot the Remington UMC bulk packs and generally find at least one deformed cartridge per pack. One of the easiest steps is to simply hold up the open tray of ammo and look for any that sit lower than the other cartridges.
                  __________________________________________________ _____________________________________
                  The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser people are full of doubts. - Bertrand Russell

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Beelzy
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Apr 2008
                    • 9225

                    Originally posted by berg
                    You called this "target shooting" ammo but I assume you mean "plinking" or "practice" ammo. Don't expect competition-level accuracy with Lawman ammo.

                    As with any ammo of this calibre (pun intended), check each cartridge for defects before loading into your magazine. Quality control is not as high (which is why the price is so low).

                    I shoot the Remington UMC bulk packs and generally find at least one deformed cartridge per pack. One of the easiest steps is to simply hold up the open tray of ammo and look for any that sit lower than the other cartridges.
                    Speer Lawman ammo is way better than that.

                    IMO, it's the cleanest shooting factory ammo I have ever used, shoots where you point, and I have never cast my gaze upon a defective round.
                    "I kill things for a living, don't make yourself one of them"

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      vintagearms
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Jan 2009
                      • 6841

                      My old PD used Speer Lawman for tactical matches, training, and general use. We used the Gold Dot for field use. Good stuff...

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Jack L
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Oct 2010
                        • 1721

                        Originally posted by vintagearms
                        My old PD used Speer Lawman for tactical matches, training, and general use. We used the Gold Dot for field use. Good stuff...

                        Well that settles that. Looks like I just found new target ammo. Not pro target events, I am speaking of practicing my own groupings.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          odysseus
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Dec 2005
                          • 10407

                          This is good reliable ammo for the range, I have bought it many times if the price is right.
                          "Just leave me alone, I know what to do." - Kimi Raikkonen

                          The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
                          - John Adams

                          http://www.usdebtclock.org/

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Cyc Wid It
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 4485

                            Never had any problems with it in multiple calibers.
                            WTS all BNIB: Colt S70 Repro, HK45c, Gen4 G19

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              PutTogether
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2008
                              • 2370

                              I thought the lawman line was loaded to give the same recoil as their gold dot lines of ammo to provide good practice.

                              Maybe just an Urban Legend I heard.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1