Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

$2500 1911's?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    someR1
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2009
    • 2932

    Originally posted by fennecfrank
    Is a toyota more reliable than a BMW?

    Yes.

    but can a toyota outperform a BMW?

    No.


    I won't say that a regular, stock on can outperform a high-end 1911. The experience is jvery different, or else I will not pay that kind of money just to get one.

    That's a pretty terrible analogy. It will be very hard to prove a Toyota is more reliable than a BMW. Also, a Toyota can outperform a BMW on MPG, does that count ?
    "To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
    - George Mason

    Comment

    • #17
      porky
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2010
      • 659

      $800 Kimber
      Accuracy and reliability work-

      $100ish for great sights + $150 for top end installation and rebluing

      $150 for a top end match grade barrel and bushing-maybe more +$150 for
      labor-
      Trigger$50-100 and trigger job$75

      Beveled magwell, custom checkering, grips, extended safety,beavertail,slide stop etc.$300-500

      These a Jim Hoag prices-

      So for 2k you can have a fullhouse custom 1911 that runs better than any other retail 2k piece-

      The weapon that seems to be the best for what you pay for is a Dan Wesson-Custom features at a decent price-$1500-2000

      In my opinion all other factory custom guns are overpriced for the amount of customization done -

      Comment

      • #18
        mif_slim
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Apr 2008
        • 10089

        Originally posted by fennecfrank
        Is a toyota more reliable than a BMW?

        Yes.

        but can a toyota outperform a BMW?

        No.


        I won't say that a regular, stock on can outperform a high-end 1911. The experience is jvery different, or else I will not pay that kind of money just to get one.
        Obviously you havent seen the Toyota corolla 1986 I've raced in and beat my own BMW!
        Originally posted by Gottmituns
        It's not protecting the rights of the 1%, it's IMPOSING new laws because of the 1%.

        Comment

        • #19
          TMC
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 2348

          Left - Springfiled GI $450 +/- not pretty but it shot every type of ammo I had, reloads both light and heavy with semi-wad cutter and round nose bullets and 2 types of factory ammo I had lying around. I few minutes with the sear fixture and the trigger is pretty good. Accurate enough with those tiny bumps on the top they call sights.

          Right - SV Infinity $2,500+, best of everyting, dead nuts reliable and accurate. Sure it looks used but its not that bad considering it's 11 years old, has 7 years of competition on it and countless rounds through it.

          Both are good guns, but for the factor you have to go with the Infinity

          Last edited by TMC; 05-05-2011, 1:35 PM.
          where are my pistol mags?

          Comment

          • #20
            whipkiller
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2009
            • 3461

            Originally posted by RedFord150
            You can find some good 1911's under $1K. At least take a look at the Springfield Armory (SA) 'Loaded'.
            I bought a Dan Wesson (DW) PM7 last year for less than $200 more than I would have paid for the SA. In my mind, this was money well spent. The DW has now gone up in price and is a lot more expensive than the SA.
            Only you can decide what a 1911 is worth to you. Some guys keep it under $500 for Rock Island Armory (RIA) or the SA GI or Mil-Spec models. Other guys spend $2K without blinking.
            Good luck.
            That was gratifying to read, I have an SA Loaded on layaway right now which will be my first 1911. It will also be the most expensive gun I've bought. (so far) It's nice to hear from other people that I didn't make a bad decision.
            Too many hobbies, Too little time.

            Mind you, I'm 5'7", 180, with a visible Ab...

            Comment

            • #21
              Ducman
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 2107

              she's not $2500 but she's a beaut.

              Attached Files
              sent from my iPhone 1911 using Tapatalk

              Comment

              • #22
                RedFord150
                Calguns Addict
                • Oct 2009
                • 5665

                Originally posted by whipkiller
                That was gratifying to read, I have an SA Loaded on layaway right now which will be my first 1911. It will also be the most expensive gun I've bought. (so far) It's nice to hear from other people that I didn't make a bad decision.
                You definitely made a VERY GOOD decision. Once you get to shoot it, Let me know how you like it.
                God Did Not Create All Men Equal, Colonel Colt Did.

                Comment

                • #23
                  jakuda
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2010
                  • 515

                  I shoot only bullseye, which basically requires an accurate 1911.

                  So yes, $2500-$5000 for a 1.5" (or less)@ 50yards gun is standard. If one isn't going to shoot bullseye, I personally don't see much of a functional reason for getting one aside from looks, collecting, or just-gotta-have-the-best-syndrome.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Swoop
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Oct 2009
                    • 3452

                    Nighthawk

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      barca101
                      Senior Member
                      • Aug 2009
                      • 577

                      +1 ^^^^NHC

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Neil McCauley
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jun 2006
                        • 13676

                        I have a Kimber TLE RL that I bought a few years back from Turners that was like 1100 bucks and to be honest, I don't really shoot my best with that pistol. My HKUSP .45 was less than 800 brand new and I think its a much better shooter as far as accuracy. Not to say money dosen't equal quality but like what was already mentioned, I too believe when it comes to guns money dosen't neccesarily equal more accuracy or reliability.
                        A guy told me one time "don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat from around the corner"
                        Robert Deniro

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          den888
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jul 2009
                          • 10520

                          I would buy a Les Baer with that budget.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            kahai808
                            Senior Member
                            • Jun 2010
                            • 745

                            Originally posted by Black Majik
                            I few models to shoot/handle:

                            Ed Brown Executive Target or Special Forces
                            Wilson Combat CQB
                            Springfield Professional
                            Les Baer Custom Carry, TRS, PII, Ultimate Master, or SRP
                            Nighthawk Talon or GRP

                            They have different build philosophies so you'll have to decide which make and model would best fit you.

                            Good luck in your search.
                            nice, all of these would be a dream!
                            Originally posted by OutlawDon
                            The mission will drive the equipment choice. Choose wisely.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              1911Luvr
                              Senior Member
                              • Jul 2010
                              • 1824

                              Although it is more than your $2500 point, you said you could buy anything you want so I'm kinda partial to one of these. Sure $4600 is a bit pricey, but most of us only live once!



                              I have always loved the look of these guns and would love to have an original!
                              I voted against Obama before it was cool.

                              Originally posted by 1911Luvr
                              I beg to differ. The full length dust cover rail makes a world of difference in the "when I run out of bullets I'm going to beat you to death with the pistol" look that causes bad guys to run in fear, and lesser men to feel inadequate. It looks just plain beastly and the extra heft up front does help manage recoil a bit better. Plus, an angel told me that when God called JMB to heaven it was to build him a full rail 1911!

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                corrupt
                                Senior Member
                                • Dec 2008
                                • 1097

                                I used to want a Les Baer TR until a trusted friend of mine (another Marine) told me that he has yet to see a Les Baer make it all the way through any shooting schools. He says they're too tight and they don't know how to make a combat pistol. Pity, because I was kind of excited to see what a tight fitted 1911 felt like. On the other hand, Springfield Operators are tight AND reliable. Anyway, I know it's probably blasphemy to say that about Les Baer, but whatever, it's just my friend's opinion, so save your defensive Les Baer rants
                                Never water another man's whiskey.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1