Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Very first Handgun, possible LEO future

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • October
    Member
    • Oct 2010
    • 414

    Very first Handgun, possible LEO future

    So now I need a hand gun. Collected and shot all types of rifles for the past ten years but have yet to get a handgun.

    I am in the RSO application process so I think it would be good to get a handgun that could also double as my service weapon (granted, if I get in).

    What would be a good starting point? Brands, calibers, etc.

    Everyone recommends Glock 22 in 9mm. Wondering if there is anything else out there that is just as reliable/effective.

    thanks.
  • #2
    NapaCountyShooter
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2009
    • 2417

    Glock 22 is .40 s&w. That would be a good bet.
    Jonah

    Comment

    • #3
      762.DEFENSE
      Calguns Addict
      • Aug 2010
      • 6314

      Most departments carry the Glock 22 as mentioned above.

      Comment

      • #4
        MicronuT
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2005
        • 1137

        is that the reserves, or a public safety position?

        they will issue you your weapon if reserve, right?

        and youll need to qualify with issue gun
        Last edited by MicronuT; 01-07-2011, 10:12 PM.

        Comment

        • #5
          Barkoff
          Senior Member
          • Aug 2009
          • 507

          Well if in CA think hi-capacity which would you be able to carry as an LEO, but unable to buy now.

          Comment

          • #6
            fullrearview
            Calguns Addict
            • Jan 2008
            • 9371

            Well, go and shoot all types! Glocks are good and have a ton of after market options. I don't like glocks because I shoot like crap with them. I love XD's and the Sig P22X series handguns.
            "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."~M.Twain~

            Comment

            • #7
              locosway
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jun 2009
              • 11346

              You might want to hold off on the handgun purchase. Some departments issue, and then there are some departments that have requirements for your service weapon. I've also heard about LEA's asking applicants about firearm ownership, and a recent purchase in anticipation might not be what they're looking for, and with this economy they can really pick and choose at their will.

              With that said, the Glock 22 is a great gun, and it's in .40 S&W as stated. Personally I'd likely rent a few guns and find out which one you're comfortable shooting with. The Glock 17 is nice too, but then again so are the Sig's and HK's. Don't simply buy a Glock just because they're popular, you should go out and find which one you really like.
              OCSD Approved CCW Instructor
              NRA Certified Instructor
              CA DOJ Certified Instructor
              Glock Certified Armorer

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1