Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Best semi-auto for under $400

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Greg F.
    Member
    • Oct 2009
    • 174

    Best semi-auto for under $400

    I'm looking for a new semi-auto for home defense. I want either 9mm or 45acp. I have a total of $400 to spend. I'm currently considering the Ruger P95. I would consider other guns as well, I'm just not sure what else is available in my price range? What do you guys recommend? Please don't suggest guns that cost more than $400 or saving up to buy something more expensive, the $400 is all I'm willing and able to spend right now. Thanks.
  • #2
    sniper4usmc
    Senior Member
    • May 2010
    • 1984

    New P95 or Sigma,But I rather buy used XD,GLock for $400
    USMC 95-99

    Comment

    • #3
      Joe
      Calguns Addict
      • Apr 2006
      • 5730

      Originally posted by sniper4usmc
      New P95 or Sigma,But I rather buy used XD,GLock for $400
      Agreed.

      Comment

      • #4
        RollingCode3
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2005
        • 3221

        Used glock
        Any gun owner who does not support the NRA is a freeloader.

        Comment

        • #5
          hitman13
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2007
          • 3793

          GLOCK
          RUGER SR9C

          Comment

          • #6
            RobG
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2006
            • 4887

            A great shooting reliable weapon are the 3rd generation S&W autos. They can be had for under 400, sometimes under 300 depending on model. Not the latest plastic wonder just a solid weapon. There are a bunch of model numbers. The S&W forum can help you out if you are interested.

            Comment

            • #7
              sniper4usmc
              Senior Member
              • May 2010
              • 1984

              I bought like new XD9 with 4 mags for $400 in calgun marketplace.
              USMC 95-99

              Comment

              • #8
                sker13
                Member
                • Oct 2009
                • 362

                Glock 22 police trade in w/night sights.

                Comment

                • #9
                  El Gato
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 1613

                  ruger, springfield, glock whatever floats your boat... all are nice...

                  if you want new...

                  look at the Rock Island 45's...
                  Greebo, as a matter of feline pride, would attempt to fight or rape absolutely anything, up to and including a four-horse logging wagon. Ferocious dogs would whine and hide under the stairs when Greebo sauntered down the street. Foxes Kept away from the village. Wolves made a detour. Terry Pratchett

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    novabrian
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2009
                    • 2520

                    I have a RIA 1911 for sale.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      orangeglo
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Nov 2009
                      • 5818

                      I can't think of anything I would want to use for home defense under 400 new.

                      But buying used... Glock, XD, M&P would all be good choices. Just gotta keep your head up and eyes out for a good deal.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Bizcuits
                        In Memoriam
                        • Aug 2006
                        • 6957

                        Save a little more, then get a police turn in Sig, or a lightly used Glock.
                        Owner of Patriot Apparel - Decals, Vintage Signs, Apparel and More!
                        Ebay Store Link
                        Etsy Store Link

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          morfeeis
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Apr 2010
                          • 7605

                          Just save a bit more and buy x that will shoot the stars out of the sky.

                          Anyway, the p95 has been a great HD/paper pusher for me I'd say get your hands on one.
                          ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
                          Originally posted by Ayn Rand
                          You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            gottarollwithit
                            Member
                            • Aug 2006
                            • 461

                            Stay away from the ultra cheap stuff. For protecting yourself, stick with something that you know will go bang. Although not in 9 or 45, a police trade in Glock 22 probably is a good choice.
                            Think...:


                            Look around for used Glocks, S&W's, Sprinfields in the FS section. Remember, used stuff and things from outta state won't have tax on it - that can be 30-40 bucks right there. And... If this is your first gun, you're gonna need to buy/get a handgun safety cert. That was like 20-30 bucks too....Not to mention the transfer fee that you're going to have to pay your FFL dealer.

                            All in all, you're gonna have a hard time finding something for 400 out the door. If you want something decent, you're probably gonna be lookin for used stuff and will probably be shopping around for the cheapest FFL transfer guy around.

                            Another thought tho... if you're lookin for dirt cheap home defense stuff, why not a shotgun? It'll be easy to get a rig out the door for under 400 and anything that you hit basically turns to swiss cheese
                            The dude abides...

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Longbow
                              Member
                              • Feb 2009
                              • 365

                              Sigmas are good, reliable pistols. Ditto the Ruger P series. The shotgun idea is a good one, too. All well under $400.00

                              Cheers,
                              Longbow

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1