Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Springfield 1911 Ammo Question - HELP PLEASE!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 00BuckShot
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2009
    • 532

    Springfield 1911 Ammo Question - HELP PLEASE!!

    I have a Springfield Ultra Compact 1911 in 9mm (PX9161L). I love this little gun and she's a great shooter when it comes to ball ammo. But when I tried to feed her HP's she won't load. Not even one round from the magazine. I was trying the Federal Hydra Shocks and I haven't tried anything else. I'd like to add this weapon to my CCW application but I don't see any reason to carry it if I can't load a good self defense round in her. One gunsmith that I talked to said that he could do a reliability work up on it but it would be $165 and he'd guaranty (whatever that means) that it would take anything but wadcutters.

    Any help on another ammo to use?

    Any advice on whether I should just take it to a gunsmith for a work up? And if so, who in the IE does good work on 1911's? (Does $165 seem a little high?)

    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by 00BuckShot; 11-13-2010, 1:10 PM.
    -jeremy
    sigpic
  • #2
    ap3572001
    Calguns Addict
    • Jun 2007
    • 6039

    ALL 1911's I ever owned would not work well with JHP ammo
    MOST stock 1911's in 45 also work best with ball.

    From many years of shooting 1911's, I can say that MOST of them work best with ball.

    Comment

    • #3
      OneSevenDeuce
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2010
      • 2288

      Try PowR'Ball from Glaser. It is an expanding round that is designed to feed like ball. It has a polymer ball on the tip of the bullet to allow for better feeding and prevent it from expanding too soon, such as when it hits clothing. It's a great little round, 9mm +p.
      What do you mean my birth certificate expired?

      Comment

      • #4
        1911Luvr
        Senior Member
        • Jul 2010
        • 1824

        Originally posted by 00BuckShot
        Any advice on whether I should just take it to a gunsmith for a work up? And if so, who in the IE does good work on 1911's? (Does $165 seem a little high?)

        Thanks in advance!
        Take it to Will O'Hara of Will's Gunsmithing in Corona. He specializes in 1911s and does amazing work. He is currently working on two builds for me and has done a lot of work to another 1911 of mine. His number is 951-371-4971.
        I voted against Obama before it was cool.

        Originally posted by 1911Luvr
        I beg to differ. The full length dust cover rail makes a world of difference in the "when I run out of bullets I'm going to beat you to death with the pistol" look that causes bad guys to run in fear, and lesser men to feel inadequate. It looks just plain beastly and the extra heft up front does help manage recoil a bit better. Plus, an angel told me that when God called JMB to heaven it was to build him a full rail 1911!

        Comment

        • #5
          MA2
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2009
          • 1129

          email or call springfield customer service...they should take care of thing with nothing out of pocket.
          If you want any custom work, its a good time to do so (no shipping charge), since that will retain the lifetime warranty on anything they do. I find their prices fairly competitive.
          Just expect a couple of weeks time for each side of the shop for any work.

          As far as reliability feeding hollows, maybe your barrel need to be throated or feed ramp polished.

          Comment

          • #6
            00BuckShot
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2009
            • 532

            I called Springfield and they said that the model in question wasn't designed to feed hollow points. I guess I could call customer service back and dig a little deeper into what that means. I didn't see anywhere in the manual that it couldn't shoot +P.
            -jeremy
            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              Ed_Hazard
              Calguns Addict
              • Oct 2008
              • 5146

              Try useing Remington Golden Sabers. the Hydra shocks tend to have too flat a face for some guns. Otherwise as stated above give Powerball a chance, pricey but quality defensive ammo.
              Originally Posted by Sic Boy
              And I bet Jobs surfs porn. If he doesn't, I'll eat a live baby on stage at the next Apple event.
              Originally posted by AJAX22
              Don't F with those guys... they can probably use their teabag to inflict blunt force trauma.


              Comment

              • #8
                SixtyDashOne
                Member
                • Apr 2010
                • 262

                I've never had a problem with Speer Gold Dots in any of my 1911s.

                although I've never owned a 9mm 1911
                Originally posted by tuna quesadilla
                Sure, a good 1911 will feed FMJ ammo flawlessly, and some of them will even feed JHP. But they lack the features that make the Glock the excellent pistol that it is. A 1911 is an enthusiast's toy, not a serious combat pistol.

                Comment

                • #9
                  intl1911
                  Member
                  • Jul 2008
                  • 167

                  I would have asked Springfield WTF are they talking about. They are suppose to fire and work with hollow points. The problem with these guns is that they use the integral feed ramp which does to feed reliably well without the extra work to do it.

                  Call them back and tell them you want to speak to the person in charge of customer service. That is B.S. That they would tell you that.

                  S.A. Has been awful going on horrible. Out of the 6 that I have owned only 1 worked without having to go back to S.A. For repaire. Yes even the two quallity loaded models that I have bought from them. With a barrel that was no good and a slide that was horribly out of spec.

                  S.A. Needs to fix this and make it right it won't take much to do.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    littlejake
                    Senior Member
                    • Aug 2008
                    • 2168

                    OH great. I have a SA Loaded model 1911 (PX9109LP) that's never been fired. Now I wonder if it's good to go.
                    Life Member NRA and 2A Foundation.
                    My posts are my own opinions and do not reflect those of any organization I am a member of.
                    Nothing I post should be construed as legal advice; if you need legal advice, see a lawyer.

                    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
                    William Pitt (1759-1806)

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      BHPFan
                      Senior Member
                      • Oct 2007
                      • 2264

                      Originally posted by 00BuckShot
                      I have a Springfield Ultra Compact 1911 in 9mm (PX9161L). I love this little gun and she's a great shooter when it comes to ball ammo. But when I tried to feed her HP's she won't load. Not even one round from the magazine. I was trying the Federal Hydra Shocks and I haven't tried anything else. I'd like to add this weapon to my CCW application but I don't see any reason to carry it if I can't load a good self defense round in her. One gunsmith that I talked to said that he could do a reliability work up on it but it would be $165 and he'd guaranty (whatever that means) that it would take anything but wadcutters.

                      Any help on another ammo to use?

                      Any advice on whether I should just take it to a gunsmith for a work up? And if so, who in the IE does good work on 1911's? (Does $165 seem a little high?)

                      Thanks in advance!
                      I would have Springfield do the work themselves as I am not certain if the warranty will be voided if you go to a third party to do the gunsmithing job.

                      However, for a pistol made for CCW, I find it unacceptable that it does not feed JHP.

                      Now, on the subject of ammo, like OSD mentioned, try shooting the CorBon Powerball. If you want to shoot standard load, I recommend the Federal 115 gr JHP C9BP though I don't know how well these expand on a 1911 UltraCompact, but I read its design allows feeding on all barrels.

                      I am not certain if the current Remington 115 gr JHP +P will feed on non-throated barrels as I read an old 20 yr old article that they did back then.
                      Last edited by BHPFan; 11-13-2010, 8:01 PM. Reason: added ammo subject.
                      They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                      ~ Benjamin Franklin

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        00BuckShot
                        Senior Member
                        • Jul 2009
                        • 532

                        OK so here's an update. After speaking with someone who seems to know what they're talking about, JHP's should feed fine. When asked about the round count I stated that it was fairly low as I don't shoot this particular hadngun all that often. Maybe 100 round through it, probably less. They suggested taking it to the range and putting some more rounds down the pipe and try the Hollow Points again. Break the gun in a little more. If then I have issues with it, I could send it back to them for a going through. The guy I spoke with seemed really knowlegable and I'll give it a go with a couple hundred more rounds. Then maybe I'll try those Powerballs. It's such a good looking gun with a great feel, I'd hate to not be able to carry it. I'll let you know how it turns out.

                        BTW....can't use +P's, but most defense rounds should be fine according to Springfield.
                        -jeremy
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          00BuckShot
                          Senior Member
                          • Jul 2009
                          • 532

                          UPDATE: So I took it and put about 200 more rounds through her last night. She worked flawlessly. So I took 20 rounds of Federal "Low Recoil" Hydra-Shocks and every round worked great. I even mixed in a HP with the ball ammo to see if I could get it to hang up and it didn't. I don't know if the problem is fixed but so far so good.
                          -jeremy
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            hitman13
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 2007
                            • 3793

                            I e read the same on ultra compact 1911s.... Long break in period to get it to feed JHP reliably. I'm getting ready to buy a 1911 in the near future and am just planning on dumping a mega pack through it the first day...

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1