Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Rock Island Armory Mods?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 1forall
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 784

    Rock Island Armory Mods?

    I purchased my first 1911 yesterday, I went with the GI model RIA. I considered the tactical and two-tone but the price of the GI I couldn't pass on. The only thing I dislike are those front and rear sights which i'm changing the first chance I get. Wanted to hear some fellow CGers thoughts and modifications to their GI models. Thanks
    Last edited by 1forall; 09-24-2010, 1:24 PM.
    "Only a fool leans upon his own misunderstanding."- Bob Marley
  • #2
    DougJ
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2009
    • 1812

    I bought a tactical to play with and modify. The GI model is actually easier to change sights on because the tacticals have a non-standard dovetail.

    Any standard 1911 parts should fit, but they aren't going to just drop in. I have put some Ed Brown parts in mine and that's been fun. Decent gun for the money, reliable for the most part, although I did have the barrel link pin walk out on mine and lock up the gun.
    01001001 00100000 01110111 01101001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01001110 01001111 00100000 01001100 01001111 01001110 01000111 01000101 01010010 00100000 01100011 01101111 01101101 01110000 01101100 01111001

    Comment

    • #3
      Rekrab
      Valar Dohaeris
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • May 2009
      • 5534

      I swapped the slide release out because of reliability issues. But I like the extended release better than the standard so it worked out nicely for me. I also stuck a generic bushing comp just for grins and giggles. Fun, and it looks neat but no appreciable difference in recoil or performance.

      Mine is a tactical so it came with most of the goodies I needed.
      Beretta PX4 Storm .40 S&W (Round Count 3,050) | Yugo M72 | Romy M44

      Big Ammo Sale!
      Harris Bipod and Bushnell Elite 3200 Scope for Sale

      Comment

      • #4
        fennecfrank
        Senior Member
        • Aug 2010
        • 1787

        Personal preference for a 1911:

        Barrel:
        Bull barrels from Schuemann Ultimatch, Bar-sto, or Briley


        Sight:
        Heinie Slant Pro Tritium Sights


        Grip Safety:
        Ed Brown Memory Groove Beavertail Grip Safety


        Thumb Safety:
        Ed Brown Tactical Extended Safety


        Guide Rod:
        Ed Brown Two-Piece Guide Rod Assembly


        Magazine:
        Wilsom Combat



        However, don't think it's worth it to spend that kind of money to modify a Rock Island, even though it's a 1911. It's like spending $60,000 more to modify a $20,000 Toyota Camry. Why not just use the $80,000 to get a Porsche?
        Last edited by fennecfrank; 09-24-2010, 4:30 PM.

        Comment

        • #5
          1forall
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2009
          • 784

          ^^^exactly, I'm looking to make reasonable upgrades.
          "Only a fool leans upon his own misunderstanding."- Bob Marley

          Comment

          • #6
            1forall
            Senior Member
            • Sep 2009
            • 784

            Any recommendations on good replacement sights?
            "Only a fool leans upon his own misunderstanding."- Bob Marley

            Comment

            Working...
            UA-8071174-1