Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

3 inch 1911s

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    sholling
    I need a LIFE!!
    CGN Contributor
    • Sep 2007
    • 10360

    Originally posted by mayo 111
    well how much velocity would be lost from 3 inch barrel compared to a 4 inch? i couldnt imagine it would be much.. but does it really make that much of a difference?
    Keep in mind two things. First that in an autoloading pistol (unlike a revolver) the chamber is counted as part of the barrel. That means that with 45acp a 3" barrel is roughly equivalent to a 2" revolver. That's not much room to accelerate. Second most 45acp is designed for optimum expansion when fired from from a 5" autoloader. Now I haven't velocity tested different barrel lengths myself but I've read figures as high as 10-13% when dropping from 5 to 3" vs 3-5% with a 4" - that's from my failing memory so don't take those figures as gospel. I've also discussed this on another board with a noted expert on bullet performance and terminal effects who expressed a lack of confidence in 3" 45acps and the resulting reduced velocities. Reduced velocities = reduced expansion.

    It sounds like you have your heart set on a 3". I'm not really sure why because they're no more concealable than a 4" CCO. They share the same grip length and that's the key to concealing a 1911. But if you can live with the compromises then go for it.
    Last edited by sholling; 09-18-2010, 8:09 AM.
    "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." --FREDERIC BASTIAT--

    Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

    Comment

    • #32
      Colt
      Senior Member
      • Jul 2007
      • 1596

      Unless you have a need to carry concealed, and if you really need that short barrel, I would recommend a Commander or similar sized 1911. A true Colt Commander/Combat Commander has a 4.25 inch barrel, ad some others make this size. Others make a 4 inch barrel. Additionally, you could look for a CCO type pistol, which has the Commander sized top end, but smaller ("Officers' size) frame.

      I think reliability wise, you're better off at no less than a 4 inch barrel.

      Good luck.

      Comment

      • #33
        Sam
        Calguns Addict
        CGN Contributor
        • Jul 2008
        • 5205

        Sholling, excellent choice for a first no roster pistol. I was thinking a lw CQB Compact too!

        Comment

        • #34
          mayo 111
          Member
          • Aug 2010
          • 396

          Originally posted by Ranger20
          thanks for that, from that link it obviously shows that the 3 inch had lower velocity compared to the longer barrels. but the 3 inch did seem to have tighter groupss, which is interesting.

          i did a bit more research and what i found is that even with the shorter barrel the weight and velocity of those bullets are still more than the .38 special (which is all i have right now) so i dont think the drop in velocity would really have too much of a negative effect.

          thank you sholling for all your info, it was very helpful and informative, and you are right, i kinda do have my heart set on the 3 inch, but im gonna still try to look around see if i can find somewhere to rent both the 4 inch and 3 inch and see which i like best, or maybe next time im at the range if i see someone with either or maybe they will let me try theirs out...

          thanks everyone else for your input!!
          WTB 3 inch Smith Wesson 547
          WTB Smith Wesson 520

          if you have any of these that you want to sell please do send me a pm

          Comment

          • #35
            Ranger20
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2008
            • 1610

            Mayo......

            I got to agree with the 4" or 4.25" as being the best compromise in reliabilty and carry.

            I have a CCO shorter grip and a Regular sized grip 1911.. both Kimber 1st gen guns the CCO is all Steel the other is a pro carry LW..

            I had a colt officers... while good and I liked the smaller grip hence the CCO... The Colt took some work and $ to get it reliable. I just prefer the 4" guns.

            My Colt Commander 4.25 new basic gun was always reliable out of the box. I got talked out of it to a family member... no regrets.

            I know a few guys that love their 3" kimbers and colts.. and have never had issues with them. Any 1911 can have issues even the 5" guns. Prove em out prior to carry or counting on them regardless... Don't be afraid to keep extra springs handy. Springs are cheap and cheap insurance and help to keep "murphy" at bay...

            best to ya!
            Last edited by Ranger20; 09-18-2010, 5:56 PM.
            Join Date: Oct 2008
            Location: Sacramento Area
            Posts: 1,600
            iTrader: 89 / 100%
            Feedback Score: 89 reviews, 100%

            Comment

            • #36
              sqroot3
              Member
              • May 2009
              • 209

              name this gun: rostered, 1911-style, barrel 4" or less, MSRP under $500

              can you think of anything besides the various armscor/rock island offerings?

              Comment

              • #37
                Ranger20
                Senior Member
                • Oct 2008
                • 1610

                Originally posted by sqroot3
                name this gun: rostered, 1911-style, barrel 4" or less, MSRP under $500

                can you think of anything besides the various armscor/rock island offerings?


                NOPE... Not under $500... Surprise me
                Oh wait here is one... well not under 4" or less... but hey it's a Colt Even...

                Last edited by Ranger20; 09-18-2010, 6:25 PM.
                Join Date: Oct 2008
                Location: Sacramento Area
                Posts: 1,600
                iTrader: 89 / 100%
                Feedback Score: 89 reviews, 100%

                Comment

                • #38
                  ExtremeX
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 7160

                  +1 for EMP

                  Ive never owned one, but I do like 3" 1911s in .45 acp
                  ExtremeX

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    tacticalcity
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Aug 2006
                    • 10929

                    Originally posted by jdewolf
                    I was helping my buddy rent some guns [meaning I had to go with him]. He went with a Kimber Custom II [5"], and a Raptor II [3"]. The Custom II was a lot more pleasant to shoot than the Raptor. The recoil and punch were a lot more noticeable. The Raptor wasn't unmanageable by any stretch of the imagination, but you could definitely feel the difference.
                    +1 to this. Bear in mind that you can easily carry a full size 1911. Unlike other really large frame guns, the 1911 has a very thin frame. In the right holster, it hugs your body and a light shirt will conceal it without printing. That is a lot harder to do with double stack guns like Glocks (of which I am a huge fan), H&Ks, or most Sigs. So unlike other types of guns, there is usually not a lot of need for the compact and subcompact versions of the 1911. Not unless you plan to carry in a purse or a fanny pack most of the time. If it is going to be on your belt, or not even be carried concealed at all you can take advantage of all the benifits of a full size 1911 and have no worries about it printing.

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      sqroot3
                      Member
                      • May 2009
                      • 209

                      Originally posted by Ranger20
                      NOPE... Not under $500... Surprise me
                      Oh wait here is one... well not under 4" or less... but hey it's a Colt Even...

                      HAHA...i had an airsoft phase once...

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        bigbob76
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2007
                        • 3954

                        Originally posted by tacticalcity
                        +1 to this. Bear in mind that you can easily carry a full size 1911. Unlike other really large frame guns, the 1911 has a very thin frame. In the right holster, it hugs your body and a light shirt will conceal it without printing. That is a lot harder to do with double stack guns like Glocks (of which I am a huge fan), H&Ks, or most Sigs. So unlike other types of guns, there is usually not a lot of need for the compact and subcompact versions of the 1911. Not unless you plan to carry in a purse or a fanny pack most of the time. If it is going to be on your belt, or not even be carried concealed at all you can take advantage of all the benifits of a full size 1911 and have no worries about it printing.
                        Well said tacticalcity. Another thing for me to consider is how comfortably I can sit with a 5 inch 1911 in any particular holster. Sometimes it seems like that is where a slightly shorter barrel can help.
                        If you can't explain it simply you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          BLD
                          Member
                          • Feb 2009
                          • 447

                          I love my Colt Defender. While it goes against everything I believe in when it comes to 1911s (firing pin block, MIM internals, and a plastic MSH & trigger) It has proven itself to be good enough for defensive and CCW use. While it packs a little more punch than my Commander and Government length 1911s It has proven to be just as accurate. It keeps up with my Ed Brown if that says anything.

                          As far as CCW goes, sure I could carry my Full size 1911s, but I choose to carry my Defender. It's lighter and smaller, so it is easier to dress around. That means it's with me in case I need it.

                          I can't tell you which type of 3" 1911 to choose (or any gun for that matter). I can tell you that if you find one that feels right, shoots well, and is reliable, then why not go for it.
                          "As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion to your walks." -- Thomas Jefferson

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            stormvet
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Mar 2010
                            • 12681

                            I carry a 3" Kimber CDP ultra sometimes. I usually carry a CDP PRO but when I need to go smaller I will carry the ultra. It is a great little .45, never malfunctions and way more accurate then it should be with a 3" barrel. I was very leary of the 3" 1911s but this Kimber made me a believer.

                            My carry setup.
                            Im a warmonger baby, I got blood in my eyes and I'm looking at you.

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              fullrearview
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Jan 2008
                              • 9371

                              Originally posted by puropuro
                              Loving my Kimber Ultra Covert II, but still breaking it in. So far about 200 rounds. Feeds ball every time, but still looking for some JHP that it likes. I hear that after it breaks in, the JHP will feed fine.

                              As others have stated, you will feel the recoil, but you get used to it with practice.
                              Also, it conceals GREAT!!!! (along with a CCW, of course)
                              I hear that about them...It will get there.
                              "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."~M.Twain~

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                stormvet
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • Mar 2010
                                • 12681

                                I use Remington Golden Saber in my Kimber .45s, feeds just as well as ball ammo.
                                Im a warmonger baby, I got blood in my eyes and I'm looking at you.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1