Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Rock Island versus Mil-Spec

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • trfcrugby
    Member
    • Jan 2007
    • 350

    Rock Island versus Mil-Spec

    I've been thinking about a 1911, and at the local shop I've seen the RIA and the Springfield Mil-Spec. The Mil-spec is about $100 more. Is it worth the money for just a plain shooter/plinker? I don't want a comp gun or anything like that. Just a plain WWII style 1911A1.

    Thanks.
    sigpic
    USAF -Med Retired
    C-5 A/B Flight Engineer Instructor
    KC-10 Crewchief
  • #2
    Knauga
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2007
    • 1383

    Never had a RIA but I know you can't go wrong with the Springer!

    Comment

    • #3
      trfcrugby
      Member
      • Jan 2007
      • 350

      Just a note...the reason I am looking at these two is purely price. I don't want a $1000 handgun to shoot every now and them. I think the 1911A1 will go great with my 1944 Garand for weekend shoots and just fun.

      So, my budget is around $500. If I can't do it, then I'll get an XD.
      sigpic
      USAF -Med Retired
      C-5 A/B Flight Engineer Instructor
      KC-10 Crewchief

      Comment

      • #4
        C9X19
        Member
        • Oct 2005
        • 262

        How much is the Springfield? I would go for that just because I already have a "loaded" model and it works great.

        Comment

        • #5
          trfcrugby
          Member
          • Jan 2007
          • 350

          I can get the RIA for $399, and the Mil-Spec was $529. Seemed fair for a local shop.
          sigpic
          USAF -Med Retired
          C-5 A/B Flight Engineer Instructor
          KC-10 Crewchief

          Comment

          • #6
            maxicon
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2005
            • 4661

            I'd go over to http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32 and read up on the RIA to see what people are saying about them. Lots of people like them just fine.

            I've got a basic Milspec (not a GI) and it's a great gun. I haven't done anything but replace the grips with wood ones and de-horned the mag well, and it's one of my most accurate pistols.

            I'm a big fan of inexpensive, quality guns, and I opted to spend the extra for the Milspec over the RIA a few years back. You can't go wrong with the Milspec as a basic 1911, and the price difference will be forgotten in a few years.
            sigpic
            NRA Life Member

            Comment

            • #7
              railroader
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2005
              • 3115

              Doesn't the milspec have better sights then the rock island? Also springfield has a lifetime warranty I think the rock island only has 1 year, at least my armscor 1911 did. Mark

              Comment

              • #8
                gotgunz
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2006
                • 1972

                I cant say yes or no to the Springfield as I dont have one but I do have a RIA tactical 1911 and for the $$$ I challenge anybody to find a better value in a 1911.

                It is accurate, has a great trigger that breaks at approx 4lbs. with little or no creep, has Novak sites and mag, ambi safety, beavertail as well as skeleton hammer and target trigger. The finish is a basic parkerized style; it is accurate, functions without issues (after 600 rounds) and is a great platform to start with for custom touches...

                I would have no problems buying another one, saving the extra money spent on a more "high quality" model to buy more ammo.

                YMMV

                p.s. I would let most anybody try any of my guns to see if they like them enough to buy one for themselves.

                Comment

                • #9
                  slick_711
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2006
                  • 4400

                  They're both great pistols, but for what it sounds like you're looking for I think you'd be better served by the SA Mil-spec. It does indeed have better sights (the RIA has original WW2 mil-spec sights, which are much lower and harder to acquire); and as someone stated SA has a lifetime warranty. I will not for a second doubt the quality of the RIA, they are great guns for their price, good reliable shooters. But the SA is still a step up.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    quagmiles
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2005
                    • 1009

                    Originally posted by railroader
                    Doesn't the milspec have better sights then the rock island? Also springfield has a lifetime warranty I think the rock island only has 1 year, at least my armscor 1911 did. Mark
                    Rock Island has a life time warranty. My Rock has been 100% out of the box. Read up on them, most everyone who has one stands by them.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      JOEKILLA
                      Senior Member
                      • Jul 2006
                      • 1458

                      Originally posted by trfcrugby
                      I can get the RIA for $399, and the Mil-Spec was $529. Seemed fair for a local shop.
                      529 for a Mil-Spec is a great price. If you don't mind, where is this gun shop located?
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        trfcrugby
                        Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • 350

                        Modesto, Ronning Arms.
                        sigpic
                        USAF -Med Retired
                        C-5 A/B Flight Engineer Instructor
                        KC-10 Crewchief

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          trfcrugby
                          Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • 350

                          Is $399 a decent deal for the RIA? I always considered Glocks fairly inexpensive at $499, but this would set a new low for me, and I love my Glock. Cheap and reliable.
                          sigpic
                          USAF -Med Retired
                          C-5 A/B Flight Engineer Instructor
                          KC-10 Crewchief

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            cseabass
                            Senior Member
                            • Mar 2006
                            • 967

                            i was leary of the RIA gun, but we got one instock at TMW, the fit is actually better than the base springers IMO. so is the trigger pull. my only concern would be the quality of the steel. but then now that the low end springers are made in brazil... i dont know... i would love to put a RIA on the rental rack and see how long it lasts. our Springer milspecs have probly in the neighborhood of 50k through them while not being oiled properly, and running filthy. so that, says somthing IMO.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              CACitUP
                              Senior Member
                              • Mar 2006
                              • 618

                              Originally posted by trfcrugby
                              Is $399 a decent deal for the RIA? I always considered Glocks fairly inexpensive at $499, but this would set a new low for me, and I love my Glock. Cheap and reliable.
                              You can find em a little cheaper. Their price has crept up in the last year. I paid $289 for mine last year from classicarms.com. I think they now sell the same pistol for $349....look around, you can find em for around $300 if you are patient.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1