Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Why does Turners do this.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • JMAN1981
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2010
    • 15

    Why does Turners do this.

    I bought my first handgun from Turners the other day. M&P9. I filled out the forms and signed them. Then the clerk started asking me all the questions that were on my forms and entering the information into his computer. Have I been convicted of a felony? Mentally ill? etc. So my question is, if they enter all that information into a computer does the background check start then or do they need to mail the form I filled out in before the beackground starts?
  • #2
    Sam Hainn
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2007
    • 681

    Originally posted by JMAN1981
    I bought my first handgun from Turners the other day. M&P9. I filled out the forms and signed them. Then the clerk started asking me all the questions that were on my forms and entering the information into his computer. Have I been convicted of a felony? Mentally ill? etc. So my question is, if they enter all that information into a computer does the background check start then or do they need to mail the form I filled out in before the beackground starts?

    Starts then unless they tell you otherwise, such as systems are down or that they don't have a serial number form the warehouse to initiate. Then they will usually do it later in the day, next day, etc. - but if they gave you a copy of your DROS and it has a DROS number - you are done and on your way. (4473 and DROS).
    "No throwing live ammunition into bonfires on runs."

    Comment

    • #3
      cineski
      Calguns Addict
      • Nov 2007
      • 6205

      From what I understand, BG check is instant and done via internet.

      Comment

      • #4
        tempdrummer
        Senior Member
        • Sep 2007
        • 833

        You have to wait 10 days anyways so why worry?

        As far as I know it's sent via the internet. Once he hits send thats it. If you need to change something after they hit send you gotta pay the $25 again since they already sent it through.

        Comment

        • #5
          sniper4usmc
          Senior Member
          • May 2010
          • 1984

          Originally posted by JMAN1981
          I bought my first handgun from Turners the other day. M&P9. I filled out the forms and signed them. Then the clerk started asking me all the questions that were on my forms and entering the information into his computer. Have I been convicted of a felony? Mentally ill? etc. So my question is, if they enter all that information into a computer does the background check start then or do they need to mail the form I filled out in before the beackground starts?
          they always do that in riflegear too..
          USMC 95-99

          Comment

          • #6
            ke6guj
            Moderator
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Nov 2003
            • 23725

            Originally posted by JMAN1981
            I bought my first handgun from Turners the other day. M&P9. I filled out the forms and signed them. Then the clerk started asking me all the questions that were on my forms and entering the information into his computer. Have I been convicted of a felony? Mentally ill? etc. So my question is, if they enter all that information into a computer does the background check start then or do they need to mail the form I filled out in before the beackground starts?
            you are filling out the federal 4473, they are filling out the state DROS form. Those questions they ask are needed for the DROS, and you see them on the printout that they have you sign and fingerprint.

            The DROS is submitted then, and the background check basically starts at that point.
            Jack



            Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

            No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

            Comment

            • #7
              JMAN1981
              Junior Member
              • Aug 2010
              • 15

              I was wondering how they check DOJ FBI and DMV in 10 days during a weekend sale if they had to send it through mail. Thank you forthe feed back.

              Comment

              • #8
                G-forceJunkie
                Calguns Addict
                • Jul 2010
                • 6475

                Bingo. Two things are getting filled out. One you do in writing, the other they ask you verbaly.

                Originally posted by ke6guj
                you are filling out the federal 4473, they are filling out the state DROS form. Those questions they ask are needed for the DROS, and you see them on the printout that they have you sign and fingerprint.

                The DROS is submitted then, and the background check basically starts at that point.

                Comment

                • #9
                  JanG
                  Senior Member
                  • Oct 2009
                  • 1005

                  wow, you guys do dros by the computer and not a paper form? i'm getting tired of signing those forms...
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") Copy and paste this bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.!!!
                  Reply With Quote

                  Originally posted by AutoDriver
                  Most in-laws have a no return policy on wives. But I do understand how you feel. As soon as I left the chappel, I started thinking maybe I should have gotten a different woman. Oh well, I'll just have to wait another 30 years to get the other one. Oh, the pain ...

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    ke6guj
                    Moderator
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Nov 2003
                    • 23725

                    I've never filled out a paper DROS form as long as I can remember, close to 20 years. It has always been a computer print out that I just sign.

                    perhaps in the early 90's, the DROS form was still on paper, but I can't remember ever filling one out.
                    Last edited by ke6guj; 08-16-2010, 10:04 PM.
                    Jack



                    Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

                    No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Tony.
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2006
                      • 742

                      The dealer does not mail in the 4473 "Yellow Form". They keep it for their records and only need to produce it for BATFE audits. They are required to keep their "proceed" and "deny" forms in separate files.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        BattlefieldJosh
                        Junior Member
                        • Apr 2010
                        • 91

                        Originally posted by tempdrummer
                        You have to wait 10 days anyways so why worry?

                        As far as I know it's sent via the internet. Once he hits send thats it. If you need to change something after they hit send you gotta pay the $25 again since they already sent it through.
                        Correction. You can change ONE thing with out having to complete another DROS.
                        Selling:
                        Trijicon
                        AimPoint
                        Black Rain Ordnance

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          1911Luvr
                          Senior Member
                          • Jul 2010
                          • 1824

                          Originally posted by ke6guj
                          I've never filled out a paper DROS form as long as I can remember, close to 20 years. It has always been a computer print out that I just sign.

                          perhaps in the early 90's, the DROS form was still on paper, but I can't remember ever filling one out.
                          When I stopped working in a gun store in '89 we where still filling out the pink DROS forms manually. The wait was 15 days for handguns at the time, but there was no wait for long guns back then.
                          I voted against Obama before it was cool.

                          Originally posted by 1911Luvr
                          I beg to differ. The full length dust cover rail makes a world of difference in the "when I run out of bullets I'm going to beat you to death with the pistol" look that causes bad guys to run in fear, and lesser men to feel inadequate. It looks just plain beastly and the extra heft up front does help manage recoil a bit better. Plus, an angel told me that when God called JMB to heaven it was to build him a full rail 1911!

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1