Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Sig 226 question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Ricky-Ray
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2010
    • 3161

    Sig 226 question

    I've been saving up to get a Sig P226 in 9mm and also get the 22 conversion kit. Somewhere along the way I think I found a thread that somebody said that if you get the 40 cal version you can just buy a 9mm barrel and mag and use the same slide as the 40, and buy the 22 conversion kit. That way your 226 can shoot three different calibers.

    I can't seem to find that anymore and can someone validate the truth to that?
    Ray

    "If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University
  • #2
    Federalist
    Senior Member
    • May 2009
    • 553

    Here you go: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=258892
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. -- Thomas Jefferson

    Comment

    • #3
      advocatusdiaboli
      Calguns Addict
      • Sep 2009
      • 5521

      In fact, you can generally do that with all Sigs and other quality pistols--which is why it is better to buy the quality brands. I have Sig a P229 and a P239, one in .40 and one in .357 SIG and bought barrels for each. I plan in the same for a P226R--and will get 9mm for all three too--just for versatility. One thing to be aware of: the .40 and .357 SIG mags are the same for double-stcks in Sigs, but the single stack P239 .357 mags won't work with .40s--only single-stacks though.
      Benefactor Life Member NRA, Life Member CRPA, CGN Contributor, US Army Veteran, Black Ribbon in Memoriam for the deceased 2nd Amendment
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        ir0nclash86
        Veteran Member
        • May 2010
        • 3609

        If you buy the 226 in 40 S&W this is the place where you can buy the 9mm drop in barrel. There is currently a 12-14 week wait after your order is placed so they can make it. http://www.barsto.com/category_main.cfm?ID=SSB

        Comment

        • #5
          shoupdawg
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2008
          • 2362

          Just remember that barsto barrels may need machining.
          Mag Lite (3 cell w/LED)
          Mace (Bear)
          Puppy (Lab Staff)

          Comment

          • #6
            shortround1
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2010
            • 993

            The .40 and .357 are only a barrel change. But I think they use a slightly beefier slide than the 9mm. To switch between .40 and 9mm I think you'll need a whole new slide assembly and magazines etc. Congrats if you get the 226, I really like mine.
            So um... moon labia or something.

            Comment

            • #7
              Ricky-Ray
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2010
              • 3161

              Thanks for the info and help guys.
              Ray

              "If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University

              Comment

              • #8
                Packy14
                Calguns Addict
                • Jul 2008
                • 5312

                you don't "need" a new slide..but if u want it to be factory reliable get the whole conversion kit for 350-400 w/ slide/barrel...they also come w/ a mag and night sites...i think its worth it.
                NRA Lifetime Member

                1A-2A = -1A

                Comment

                • #9
                  gorenut
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2010
                  • 3072

                  Originally posted by kenshinoro2007
                  you don't "need" a new slide..but if u want it to be factory reliable get the whole conversion kit for 350-400 w/ slide/barrel...they also come w/ a mag and night sites...i think its worth it.
                  I originally planned that.. but I have a full stainless p226 and I was afraid the slide might be on the heavier side for a 9mm for just a drop-in barrel (could be wrong though). Eventually.. I just ended up getting another gun because for the price of a full caliber conversion kit, I got a SP2022 for a little more. I know its not the same thing.. but I can still shoot 9s now, have 2 guns, and don't have to juggle 3 calibers on 1 gun (I have .40 and .357 on the P226) - makes range time easier when I want to shoot different calibers.
                  Last edited by gorenut; 08-06-2010, 9:51 AM.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Johnny.B.Good
                    Member
                    • Jul 2010
                    • 175

                    Like the OP, I am also considering ordering one of Bar-Sto's "semi-drop in" 9mm conversion barrels for my Sig P229 in 40 S&W. Note to OP and others, I have read elsewhere to be sure that you order the 9mm barrel that is specified as being "for conversion" or you will have problems.

                    Not to hijack your thread, but quick question for those in the know:

                    Assuming I order the 9mm conversion barrel from Bar-Sto (I would consider a whole new slide assembly from Sig but don't see it as one of their standard web store items...perhaps a phone call?), do you think I should use a different recoil spring than the OEM that came with my 40 S&W?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Dhena81
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2010
                      • 4587

                      I bought a Barsto barrel for my G21 a number of years back '05 lol it never fit and I've been to lazy to send in my primary SHTF pistol. I'm sure none of their barrels drop in.

                      Are you guys sure the 226 slide is beefier for the .40 I'm asking and don't know but wasn't one of the reasons Sig went with a machined slide from stamped was to be able to shoot the .40 cal? So they would only have to build one slide for both the 9 and 40 with minor differences? I would give Sig a call and talk to one of their pistol smiths and let all of us know what they said.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        kdmmcc
                        Member
                        • Dec 2009
                        • 118

                        Originally posted by Ricky-Ray
                        Thanks for the info and help guys.
                        I have the .22 conversion for my 226; it's ok, but you have to fire high velocity ammunition through it or it jams every few rounds. So far, CCI Stingers is the only ammo that feeds well most of the time.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          leelaw
                          Junior Member
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 10445

                          Originally posted by Dhena81
                          Are you guys sure the 226 slide is beefier for the .40 I'm asking and don't know but wasn't one of the reasons Sig went with a machined slide from stamped was to be able to shoot the .40 cal?
                          You're referring to the P228/P229 evolution.

                          The P228 was designed for 9mm only, and when designing a similar-sized pistol that could use .40, they redesigned the slide and dubbed it the P229.

                          The P226 handles all three calibers just fine.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Johnny.B.Good
                            Member
                            • Jul 2010
                            • 175

                            Originally posted by kdmmcc
                            I have the .22 conversion for my 226; it's ok, but you have to fire high velocity ammunition through it or it jams every few rounds. So far, CCI Stingers is the only ammo that feeds well most of the time.
                            I picked up a .22LR conversion kit for my P229 40 S&W from Botach Tactical (at a significantly lower price than any other online retailer I came across) and had major feeding issues during my first trip to the range with it. I put hundreds of CCI Mini-Mags through it my first time out and had one or more failures to feed with every magazine...very frustrating. Another annoyance with the .22LR conversion kit is that the slide doesn't lock back after firing the last round in a magazine, so you either count down (tough to do when you have to keep clearing jams) or dry-fire every time. Not good.

                            I read about an "upgrade kit" for the Sig .22LR conversion on another forum and after ordering (around $30) and installing (less than five minutes) I was amazed at the difference. New magazine spring and an aluminum follower that holds the slide back after the last round is fired (it doesn't fully "lock" the slide back but it holds back so you know the magazine is empty and don't have to dry fire). It is absolutely worth every cent if you are going to order the conversion, which is a lot of fun at the range now that it works properly. I put 700 rounds through it on my second trip to the range with only a handful (five or six) failures to feed.

                            For anyone that has a Sig conversion kit, this is definitely money well spent.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Packy14
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Jul 2008
                              • 5312

                              The slide is heavier on the .40 model... I tried the barsto way and it didnt fit..then you spend more money sending it to them for fitting. The conversion kits are on the website for Sig and also cheaper at some other sites.... I got one for 380$.. I later sold it after just getting another 226 in 9mm... i have one in .40 and one in 9mm... but i jus love 226's I think the barsto barrels are too much $$ for what it is..its just a barrel... i rather get another slide/mag/night sites for 100ish more.
                              NRA Lifetime Member

                              1A-2A = -1A

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1