Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Layaway

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • CALATRAVA
    Member
    • Jun 2007
    • 289

    Layaway

    Anyone taken part in laying away a firearm? Local shop offers a 180 day plan that requires a 1/3 down. Pretty legit shop, that a lot of LEO's frequent from my experience. (el cajon guns)

    I usually only have a few hundred in disposible income each month, and we don't use credit cards at all. Also, i'm not much of a saver- never have been.

    Thinking that it would be pretty good motivation for me, knowing that its waiting for me...

    Thoughts?
    Last edited by CALATRAVA; 07-30-2010, 9:47 AM.
  • #2
    OneSevenDeuce
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2010
    • 2288

    El Cajon Guns? Do you mean El Cajon Gun Exchange? I have done a layaway with them before. Some of the people there can kinda be jerks, but the bottom line is they want to make money, so if you want to spend it they will help you. The layaway went off without a hitch if you are wondering.
    What do you mean my birth certificate expired?

    Comment

    • #3
      CALATRAVA
      Member
      • Jun 2007
      • 289

      Ah yes, "gun exchange", thanks! I agree that some of them can be tools at times. Their prices can't touch discount gun mart, but DGM's layaway plan is only like 30 days or so.

      Good to hear your layaway was a non-issue.

      Thanks!

      Comment

      • #4
        Johnny.B.Good
        Member
        • Jul 2010
        • 175

        What is the purpose of "laying" an item "away" with a seller? If you are disciplined enough not to use credit cards (which few of us are), then you should be disciplined enough to save for that new gun. If you "buy" the gun on layaway you are just giving the seller an interest free loan. Is there an additional fee for purchasing on layaway as well? Either way, I wouldn't do it. Plus, what if the shop goes out of business suddenly? What would happen to your deposit? I just found out that a seemingly successful and well-established local shop in my area was suddenly closed by the DOJ and all the guns in the shop (including consignment items) were siezed. Find a better way to save...maybe you could arrange to have a hundred dollars a month automatically deposited into a savings account by your bank or employer when your paychecks are deposited.

        Comment

        • #5
          j1133s
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2007
          • 1343

          Originally posted by CALATRAVA
          Anyone taken part in laying away a firearm? Local shop offers a 180 day plan that requires a 1/3 down. Pretty legit shop, that a lot of LEO's frequent from my experience. (el cajon guns)

          I usually only have a few hundred in disposible income each month, and we don't use credit cards at all. Also, i'm not much of a saver- never have been.

          Thinking that it would be pretty good motivation for me, knowing that its waiting for me...

          Thoughts?
          My thoughts would be to just save the money outside of layaway. Once you've saved enough, then go looking. If you've only got a few hundred per month, better to keep that money accessible in case of emergency than locking it up at a shop.

          Comment

          • #6
            j1133s
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2007
            • 1343

            Originally posted by Johnny.B.Good
            What is the purpose of "laying" an item "away" with a seller? If you are disciplined enough not to use credit cards (which few ..deposited.
            The main purpose is to reserve a hard to find item or lock in on a sale price.

            Comment

            • #7
              shooting4life
              Calguns Addict
              • Jan 2009
              • 5770

              Never did layaway before. Wife usually is my loan department.

              Comment

              • #8
                Johnny.B.Good
                Member
                • Jul 2010
                • 175

                Originally posted by j1133s
                The main purpose is to reserve a hard to find item or lock in on a sale price.
                Then use a credit card and pay off the balance as soon as possible. I can understand "layaway" if you don't have a credit card and have a shot at a rare firearm or great deal, but would never advise someone to do it. All risk and no reward.

                Comment

                • #9
                  j1133s
                  Senior Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • 1343

                  Originally posted by shooting4life
                  Never did layaway before. Wife usually is my loan department.
                  Frankly I don't even know how much money we have in the bank. Wife has total control on money situations and pays all the bills. It's like I'm back at 9yr old living w/ my parents and if I want to buy something expensive I go ask for it

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    OneSevenDeuce
                    Senior Member
                    • Jun 2010
                    • 2288

                    Originally posted by CALATRAVA
                    Ah yes, "gun exchange", thanks! I agree that some of them can be tools at times. Their prices can't touch discount gun mart, but DGM's layaway plan is only like 30 days or so.

                    Good to hear your layaway was a non-issue.

                    Thanks!
                    That's the thing. Their prices aren't the best. The only reason I bought what I did there is because it was mismarked to a decent deal. You might try Fine Firearms in La Mesa. They have great prices and they may do a layaway.
                    What do you mean my birth certificate expired?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      OneSevenDeuce
                      Senior Member
                      • Jun 2010
                      • 2288

                      Originally posted by Johnny.B.Good
                      What is the purpose of "laying" an item "away" with a seller? If you are disciplined enough not to use credit cards (which few of us are), then you should be disciplined enough to save for that new gun. If you "buy" the gun on layaway you are just giving the seller an interest free loan. Is there an additional fee for purchasing on layaway as well? Either way, I wouldn't do it. Plus, what if the shop goes out of business suddenly? What would happen to your deposit? I just found out that a seemingly successful and well-established local shop in my area was suddenly closed by the DOJ and all the guns in the shop (including consignment items) were siezed. Find a better way to save...maybe you could arrange to have a hundred dollars a month automatically deposited into a savings account by your bank or employer when your paychecks are deposited.
                      Nope. Never heard of anyone charging a fee to layaway. However your credit card company charges you interest. Layaway is a great option if you find something that is frequently out of stock.
                      What do you mean my birth certificate expired?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        mixwell
                        Member
                        • Jan 2010
                        • 213

                        Some of us (myself included) don't have the cash to put up front, or a credit card (mine is maxed) so I have my Glock 22 on layaway at Turners. The reason being is that I am horrible with money and wouldn't be able to save the money to accumulate. That is a bad habit of mine but that is why I chose layaway and I have no concern that Turners (Norwalk) will be going out of business soon.. I pay off mine next Thurs and can't wait to get the 10 day period going.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          j1133s
                          Senior Member
                          • Jul 2007
                          • 1343

                          Originally posted by mixwell
                          Some of us (myself included) don't have the cash to put up front, or a credit card (mine is maxed) so I have my Glock 22 on layaway at Turners. The reason being is that I am horrible with money and wouldn't be able to save the money to accumulate. That is a bad habit of mine but that is why I chose layaway and I have no concern that Turners (Norwalk) will be going out of business soon.. I pay off mine next Thurs and can't wait to get the 10 day period going.
                          You are bad with money....
                          With a maxed out CC, I'd be selling guns to pay that off first

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            OneSevenDeuce
                            Senior Member
                            • Jun 2010
                            • 2288

                            You see, my thing is that I have no problem saving money, I am pretty good with my bank account, and I hate using credit cards. Most of the time I can pay in cash up front. Sometimes however there is something I want that is either frequently out of stock or is a really good deal. Layaway is the perfect option if I don't have the money up front.
                            What do you mean my birth certificate expired?

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              mixwell
                              Member
                              • Jan 2010
                              • 213

                              Originally posted by j1133s
                              You are bad with money....
                              With a maxed out CC, I'd be selling guns to pay that off first
                              Yeah I should. This is debt that happened when I wasn't working and living off of them and now that I have been working I have beeen trying to pay them off but at times I say F it and spend some money on myself to get something nice.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1