Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

XD Vs. M&P for first handgun

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Newshooter
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2010
    • 1171

    XD Vs. M&P for first handgun

    Another Newbie here looking for some input. I am looking to purchase my first semi-automatic pistol and have narrowed it down to the XD or the M&P. The gun will be a 9mm and will be full size. I was hoping to get any pros and/or cons for both models from the experienced users of this forum. Thanks for any and all input!!
  • #2
    CarlozRossi
    Member
    • Jun 2010
    • 167

    Imma noob too, and in the same position your in. I absolutely fell in love with both of these and in IMHO you can't go wrong with either. I've found that the XD has a bit more aftermarket accessories available though. Both have excellent ergonomics and both are really reliable.

    I'm saving up for both. The Subcompact XD in 40. and a M&P9c. You'll find that the XD Service Model is about $100 less than the M&P. The M&P does have a lower bore axis than the XD but IMO you cant really tell a significant difference when firing both.
    Last edited by CarlozRossi; 07-22-2010, 5:46 PM.

    Comment

    • #3
      sholling
      I need a LIFE!!
      CGN Contributor
      • Sep 2007
      • 10360

      Both are good reliable pistols. The M&P is made in the USA and the XD in Croatia. Both have lifetime warranties from companies renowned for their superb customer service. Personally I prefer the M&P for the lower barrel axis and the interchangeable backstrap allowing you to fit it to your hand or add a Crimson Trace grip laser. And I like the the looks of the M&P better. But both are excellent handguns. Both have lots of holster and accessory choices.

      Edit: In the compact versions I prefer the 1/2" longer barrel of the M&P. The 3.5" M&P is every bit as concealable and the extra 1/2" of barrel improves the ballistics of round.
      Last edited by sholling; 07-22-2010, 5:54 PM.
      "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." --FREDERIC BASTIAT--

      Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

      Comment

      • #4
        Legasat
        Intergalactic Member
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Mar 2009
        • 4151

        Both made my top 3 list when I was looking. I chose M&P because it was more comfortable in my hand, and therefore I shot it better (more accurately).

        The only intelligent way for you to choose is to go rent both, and shoot them side by side (like I did). See which shoots better, which is more comfortable, etc.

        Both are fine handguns, and you won't lose which ever one you choose.
        ..

        .........STGC(SW)


        SAF Life Member

        sigpic
        NRA Benefactor

        Comment

        • #5
          OneSevenDeuce
          Senior Member
          • Jun 2010
          • 2288

          Honestly? They are both great guns. Go out and rent each one from a range and shoot them a bunch. You'll know which one is best for you after a couple boxes of ammo.
          What do you mean my birth certificate expired?

          Comment

          • #6
            kozumasbullitt
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Oct 2009
            • 2912

            Both are great as well as the glock 17, you should hold all 3 to see what feels best.

            Comment

            • #7
              Fate
              Calguns Addict
              • Apr 2006
              • 9545

              Agree with what the above respondents said. M&P was my choice. I now own two of them with an eye on a compact
              sigpic "On bended knee is no way to be free." - Eddie Vedder, "Guaranteed"

              "Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
              , in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785

              Comment

              • #8
                Nor-Cal
                Senior Member
                • Sep 2009
                • 1235

                My first semi auto handgun was a SA XD, really liked how I shot with it and very comfterble, now I have 3 xds, but like others say go to a range and try all your choices before choosing which to purchase
                sigpic

                Comment

                • #9
                  CSACANNONEER
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Dec 2006
                  • 44094

                  It should come down to which one fits you the best. But, I'd suggest buying a .22lr pistol first! It'll save you a lot of money in the long run.
                  NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                  California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                  Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                  Utah CCW Instructor


                  Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                  sigpic
                  CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                  KM6WLV

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Dismal_Scientist
                    Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • 249

                    Originally posted by OneSevenDeuce
                    Honestly? They are both great guns. Go out and rent each one from a range and shoot them a bunch. You'll know which one is best for you after a couple boxes of ammo.
                    This

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      KillZone45
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2009
                      • 2570

                      Some good answers, I like how this thread has stayed on track. I have the XD and would love to own an M&P, I tried to get a used one but I am getting an H&K instead. You will be happy with any gun you get really.
                      Nikita Khrushchev said"We can't expect the American People to jump from Capitalism to Communism, but we can assist their elected leaders in giving them small doses of Socialism, until they awaken one day to find that they have Communism. "

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Acorn556
                        Senior Member
                        • May 2009
                        • 2107

                        I have the M&P in a 40 and I was set on the XD. Picked up the S&W M&P and it fit so much better in my hand.

                        Had a buddy shopping recently and told him the same advice. Shoot it, hold it, read reviews online, hold it again, shoot it some more, then buy one.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          evidens83
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Apr 2009
                          • 7839

                          M&P9 all the way no contest.
                          WTS 10/22 Lasermax laser CHEAP!!!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            OneSevenDeuce
                            Senior Member
                            • Jun 2010
                            • 2288

                            As you can see, everyone has their pet favorite.
                            What do you mean my birth certificate expired?

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Noah3683
                              Senior Member
                              • Aug 2009
                              • 2256

                              If this is going to be your only pistol for the time being and you are dead set on a compact model............ Go with the m&p. At least you get an extra 1/2" of barrel and it also conceals better than the xd. That being said I love my xd9 and I am now starting to love my glock 23 (with 9mm barrel for the range) You should really consider looking into a full frame for your first though. At the least consider something in the size range of a Glock 19/23
                              Originally posted by Neil McCauley
                              Are you actually suppost to "taste" wood?
                              Originally posted by Neil McCauley
                              Just wish I knew what wood in your meat is suppost to taste like.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1