Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

First Glock & First .45: 30 or 36?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    aermotor
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    • Apr 2009
    • 2566

    Love when the high and mighty's come out

    The MOST important thing when dealing with CCW is "is it comfortable enough to carry day in and day out" if it's not, you'll leave it behind. Simple as that. I'll take 7 rounds of .45 any day of the year over 0 rounds because the gun is too awkward and an annoyance for me to carry. If you need more than 7 rounds, you're already in serious trouble.

    Comment

    • #17
      PC3597
      Member
      • Apr 2010
      • 251

      Originally posted by aermotor
      Love when the high and mighty's come out

      The MOST important thing when dealing with CCW is "is it comfortable enough to carry day in and day out" if it's not, you'll leave it behind. Simple as that. I'll take 7 rounds of .45 any day of the year over 0 rounds because the gun is too awkward and an annoyance for me to carry. If you need more than 7 rounds, you're already in serious trouble.
      Now, Now Zach....no need for name calling. I was not trying to sound high and mighty, but all I will say is that carrying is not a hobby for me. I've been doing it EVERY DAY for 11 years, and teach people-including police- how to do it. In my experience, low-caps go dry fast because a life-threatening fight is a brutal thing and people shoot...A LOT. I simply wanted to give the OP all the info he needs to make an educated descision. If a G30 is "too uncomfortable" so you leave it behind, that's fine, carry something else. However, if you can deal with carrying a little more gun and ammo, then go with the G30. As I said before, it's a lifestyle thing...not an option.
      Again, everyone is entitiled to their opinion, there's no need for name-calling...especially when you know nothing about me.

      Thanks

      Comment

      • #18
        aermotor
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        • Apr 2009
        • 2566

        Was more of a joke, that's why I pulled out the popcorn. Nothing personal man

        Comment

        • #19
          Ninja45
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2006
          • 624

          Go ahead and shoot both. Which one is more comfortable to shoot? Which one would you feel more "with it" if a gunfight becomes inevitable? I guess that is what it boils down to.

          For me? I'll take the G30SF myself. I like the extra rounds it offers and I shoot better with it.

          Comment

          • #20
            Super Spy
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2009
            • 3461

            Make sure you hold the G30 and the G30SF, I got the G30SF as the grip is narrower and fits my smallish hands better. Like any gun practice is key and the G30SF is snappier and you get more muzzle flip than with a G21. I have shot my G30SF in IDPA and had fun and placed mid pack my first time out. I don't CCW but I do pack heat around home on occasion and the G30 is tough to conceal wearing a T-shirt with a paddle holster. For your stated purposes (pretty close to mine when I bought it) it's a good all around gun.
            Originally posted by Daytripper63
            "Looking a bit angry, he asked why I thought it was a Republican truck. I explained that if it were an Obama truck, the seats would blow smoke up your *** year-round. I had to walk back to the dealership. The guy had no sense of humor."

            Comment

            • #21
              PC3597
              Member
              • Apr 2010
              • 251

              @ Zach (Aermotor)...It's cool, no harm, no foul.

              Comment

              • #22
                rgs1975
                Senior Member
                • Oct 2005
                • 1927

                When faced with the Glock 45 question I went with the G36. I've been nothing but extremely pleased with it.

                It's too late, it's over.

                Comment

                • #23
                  coq
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2009
                  • 736

                  Originally posted by PC3597
                  The G30 is a great pistol. You state that you plan to carry it in an IWB which would have been my only recommendation. The 36 is low-cap, so if you were to go that way, you may as well carry a small 1911. The 30 is fantastic as it has interchangeability with G21 mags. I carry a G21 as my primary, with a G30 with a G21 mag as a spare. It makes for one heck of a lot of firepower in a relatively small, great handling package. If you want a .45 Glock, but not a G21 then the G30 is the only way to go. Train hard.
                  Agreed the 30 is great. And so is the 36. 1911 is a different animal altogether. Having both those Glocks, I'll tell you there's a big difference when you carry them IWB. 30 is hi-cap and accurate and cool looking. 36 is lighter, much thinner, much more comfortable and still accurate...and to some, cool.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    ZRT650
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2009
                    • 1167

                    I am with Greg-Dawg on this one, I say get a 27.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      9mmdude
                      Member
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 486

                      For CCW in .45 I would get the Glock 36. For general shooting and sometimes CCW I would get the Glock 30.

                      For CCW period I would go with the G27 or G26. For general shooting and sometimes CCW I would get the Glock 19.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Glock-matic
                        Member
                        • Mar 2010
                        • 306

                        The 36 is a bit easier to conceal due to some of the rounding treatment on the butt and slide. The 30 is still concealable, but not necessarily so wearing shorts and a T-shirt. The G30 grip is considerably large, even for my bear paws.

                        My wife has shot my G36, her only complaint is that the magazine and grip sometimes pinches her pinky. Recoil is controllable, but it is more noticeable than a 40 or 9.

                        My personal preference, when I want to carry something bulkier than the G36, I usually carry a G23.

                        As for magazine capacity, I find it odd that internet folk tout the 1911 as the greatest defensive handgun in the world, yet it only carries 7+1 in its original config. It is poor solace to those who swear by the wonder-nines; however, most shootings end with less than four rounds fired. But, if you are to enter harms way often, and face armed folks trained and willing to do you harm, 20 rounds in the mag won't seem like enough.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          cineski
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Nov 2007
                          • 6205

                          Slide width is the most important aspect of concealed carry, followed by grip length. Barrel length comes in last.

                          Originally posted by PC3597
                          Slide width is really a non-issue in concealed carry.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            PC3597
                            Member
                            • Apr 2010
                            • 251

                            Originally posted by cineski
                            Slide width is the most important aspect of concealed carry, followed by grip length. Barrel length comes in last.
                            I'd have to disagree...The G36 is 1.13 inches thick, the G30 is 1.27 inches thick, that's only .14 inches difference. Although I should have been more specific...it's not much difference/importance when carrying IWB like the OP says he will carry it. In his case, grip size is a much more critical issue.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              cineski
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Nov 2007
                              • 6205

                              .14 inches in width is a big deal when CCW is concerned. Unless you're huge.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                C_1
                                Senior Member
                                • Jun 2008
                                • 1504

                                If you can grip and conceal the G30 fine, I think the few extra rounds are definitely worth it. If not, the G36 is good too.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1