Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

S&W internal lock qualify for CA approved firearms lock?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Mac Attack
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2008
    • 2127

    S&W internal lock qualify for CA approved firearms lock?

    My S&W model 22-4 will be free from jail on 7/19. Before I buy a firearms lock I wanted to see if the internal lock qualifies. I hate to buy a new lock if I don't need to. Plus the FFL I used didn't ask me for a lock when I did my DROS.

    Thanks.
    Last edited by Mac Attack; 07-16-2010, 7:24 PM. Reason: corrected model number
  • #2
    Librarian
    Admin and Poltergeist
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Oct 2005
    • 44689

    Originally posted by Mac Attack
    My S&W model 44-2 will be free from jail on 7/19. Before I buy a firearms lock I wanted to see if the internal lock qualifies. I hate to buy a new lock if I don't need to. Plus the FFL I used didn't ask me for a lock when I did my DROS.

    Thanks.
    Should be fine:
    12087.6. As used in this article: (a) "Firearms safety device" means a device other than a gun safe that locks and is designed to prevent children and unauthorized users from firing a firearm. The device may be installed on a firearm, be incorporated into the design of the firearm, or prevent access to the firearm.
    See also the state web site on safety devices.
    ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

    Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

    Comment

    • #3
      gorenut
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2010
      • 3072

      I'm my opinion, about the only positive thing about these built in locks. I'd still rather have the option of having the locking mechanism not be built into my firearm. This is probably the biggest reason why I went with a GP100 vs the 686 (couldn't find a pre-lock at reasonable price). However, the 627 is just too good to pass up when I get a chance to get, lock or not.

      Comment

      • #4
        Mac Attack
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2008
        • 2127

        Great! More money for me to use on moonclips and ammo.

        Comment

        • #5
          winnre
          Calguns Addict
          • Apr 2010
          • 9214

          Can I have mine removed and the hole sealed up?
          "If Jesus had a gun he would be alive today"-Homer Simpson

          Comment

          • #6
            otteray
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2006
            • 3246

            Originally posted by winnre
            Can I have mine removed and the hole sealed up?
            Yes.
            This has been discussed on both of the major S&W forum sites and everywhere else, too.
            This one come with a warning:

            How to:
            http://http://www.smithandwessonforu...t=112&start=20
            sigpic
            Single fin mentality

            Comment

            • #7
              halifax
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2005
              • 4440

              I asked the DOJ that same question once and the responed "NO" because it wasn't an APPROVED FSD and is not listed by them.

              12088.1. Firearm sales or transfers to include approved firearms safety device; warning
              language or label; long-gun safe warning labels; exemptions.
              (a) All firearms sold or transferred in this state by a licensed firearms dealer, including private
              transfers through a dealer, and all firearms manufactured in this state, shall include or be accompanied
              by a firearms safety device that is listed on the Department of Justice's roster of
              approved firearms safety devices and that is identified as appropriate for that firearm by reference
              to either the manufacturer and model of the firearm, or to the physical characteristics of
              the firearm that match those listed on the roster for use with the device.
              So, although it fits the generic definition of a FSD, it isn't listed by the DOJ as approved to work with the firearm.

              At least, that is what I was told.
              Last edited by halifax; 07-17-2010, 5:28 AM.
              Jim


              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                wamphyri13
                CGN Contributor
                • Apr 2008
                • 2759

                Same here. It is only approved for Massachusettes, not California. However, if buying it new, it should come with a lock. My new 620 did.
                Ryan
                The following statement is true.
                The preceding statement was false.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Mac Attack
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2008
                  • 2127

                  I didn't see my model listed on the approved list so I figure I am out of luck.

                  When I DROS'd my revolver I briefly looked at what came with it and I did not see a lock of any sort. So i must be out of luck and will have to buy a lock.

                  BTW, what's the deal with the internal lock and all the hatred for it? Does it affect the trigger pull or do something else which makes people not like it or is it just because S&W shoved it down our necks?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    halifax
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 4440

                    Originally posted by Mac Attack
                    ...
                    BTW, what's the deal with the internal lock and all the hatred for it? Does it affect the trigger pull or do something else which makes people not like it or is it just because S&W shoved it down our necks?
                    I believe many purists see the internal locks as an appeasement to the Clinton administration that adds nothing to the function of the firearm and may, in fact, render it less reliable for no good reason.
                    Jim


                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      jdg30
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2009
                      • 1095

                      Originally posted by Mac Attack
                      BTW, what's the deal with the internal lock and all the hatred for it? Does it affect the trigger pull or do something else which makes people not like it or is it just because S&W shoved it down our necks?
                      I have a couple revolvers with the internal lock and I haven't had any problems because of it. I think the internal lock is just one of those unneeded safety devices put into the guns to appease lawmakers that they are somehow "safer" for everyone because of them.

                      In the big picture, it really isn't that big of a deal. Would I prefer a non-lock revolver over one with the lock? Of course, but I wouldn't let the lock stop me from getting the gun. It is not going to cause you any problems. The internal lock doesn't affect the function of shooting the gun in any way. All it does is give you the option to lock the trigger so the gun is inoperable.

                      For my guns, I have never locked them and I have the extra keys laying around in a spare tool box somewhere.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1