Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

.45 acp vs a bear

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • tbhracing
    Banned
    • Oct 2008
    • 5523

    What about wasp spray if you have it?

    Comment

    • aermotor
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      • Apr 2009
      • 2566

      It doesn't really help you since you've got a 1911, but 10mm is the way to go when in the woods. Get a Glock 21 (.45) and a conversion barrel to 10mm so you can have it multi-purposed.

      This is the best answer imo, though Bear Spray would be a god idea as well in case of attack.


      Originally posted by Anti-Hero
      I've had plenty of bears come into camp deep hunting as a kid. We always had one of these on the ready. One toot from these babies and bears don't run, they fly away.

      Last edited by aermotor; 07-15-2010, 12:23 PM.

      Comment

      • Lead-Thrower
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2009
        • 780

        When I go hiking, I usually carry one of those horns, along with my KA-BAR.

        Comment

        • 5shot
          Senior Member
          • May 2008
          • 1265

          Bear Spray didn't help this guy.




          I've been going to Mammoth for around 25 years, and own a second home (condo) there. Bears are about as common as dogs there. The town has a "no shoot" zone that surrounds the town and lakes basin, so there's no hunting pressure on the local bears. It's very common to see bears everyday if you fish the lakes in the evenings, or camp around the lakes. For the most part their pretty docile, but a few get too comfortable around people and attempt to bully people. They know most people are scarred of them, so they use it to their advantage. Usually a mother with cubs will walk the shoreline when people are fishing. When the people back away, or get in their cars, the mother bear will find their stringer, step on the stinger and pull the fish off. There was another bear who hung around one of the back country lakes trails. When he saw hikers he'd bluff charge them. After they'd drop their backpacks and ran, he'd tear open the packs and eat their food.
          The local bear control officer tries to monitor the population pretty well, and problem bears are removed. But there's always the small chance that you may encounter a problem bear. And there are some big bears in Mammoth. They hit all the restaurant and condo dumpsters, and eat pretty well. I've seen a few that will go about 500 pounds, which is very big for a black bear. Then you see a lot of small ones that go about 150-200 pounds. (The big bears usually chase other bears away from their favorite eating spots.)

          A good article on bear handguns from expert bear hunters.
          John Bishop
          Member: NRA Life, CRPA, WEGC

          Comment

          • 1911Luvr
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2010
            • 1824

            My one closeup experience with California black bears happened while skiing. I was doing a bit of back country spring skiing after a March storm several years back when I skied down the side of a canyon and immediately stopped when I saw a black bear, which I instantly understood to be a female when I saw a little one 30 feet behind it. I then went into my bear defense mode which for me is simply clenching my butt cheeks in hopes of not dirtying my ski pants, and just watched as they plodded on past me. I was locked into downhill skis in a foot of fresh powder, so running wasn't an option and having been stopped I wasn't going to ski fast enough to get away anyway. After they ignored me and continued on their way I found a tree to water (funny how I never had to go until the bears showed up), and then skied quickly to the bottom and hiked out. I had always thought bears are supposed to be asleep in winter (ok so March is Spring but whatever) so I never gave it a second thought until this happened. In any case, I'm glad to have not accidentally skied in between them, but looking back they hardly seemed like the worrysome beasts they are made out to be. Of course I might feel differently if this had been Alaska or Canada, and perhaps I was just lucky, but that experience didn't inspire me to carry a sidearm while in the back country in winter.

            Now that said, I would certainly carry in summer as I have seen mountain lions and they scare me far more than those black bears. Fortunately mountain lions seem to be much less bold than bears when it comes to invading camp sites and other occupied places. In any case, I don't think anyone going to Mammoth or other CA mountains needs to be worried about bears to the point of carrying a shotgun, etc. Just be smart, be loud (my other non-closeup experiences with CA bears was as simple as making noise to scare them off) and if you need a sidearm to feel comfortable then bring it. I seriously doubt that unless you panic and shoot at the first sight of the bear, you will have any need for your pistol to keep you safe from CA bears. But, like the old saying goes, "an ounce of prevention..."
            I voted against Obama before it was cool.

            Originally posted by 1911Luvr
            I beg to differ. The full length dust cover rail makes a world of difference in the "when I run out of bullets I'm going to beat you to death with the pistol" look that causes bad guys to run in fear, and lesser men to feel inadequate. It looks just plain beastly and the extra heft up front does help manage recoil a bit better. Plus, an angel told me that when God called JMB to heaven it was to build him a full rail 1911!

            Comment

            • BuckTurgidson
              Junior Member
              • Jun 2010
              • 36

              Originally posted by 5shot
              Would be very interested in how you can be certain from the evidence presented in the video - a spot of concentrated spray in the snow - that the victim actually deployed the spray at the attacking bear.

              Comment

              • 5shot
                Senior Member
                • May 2008
                • 1265

                Originally posted by BuckTurgidson
                Would be very interested in how you can be certain from the evidence presented in the video - a spot of concentrated spray in the snow - that the victim actually deployed the spray at the attacking bear.
                Watch the whole National Geographic show that short clip was from. You'd also see the 2 female hikers who emptied a can of bear spray and still got mauled.
                John Bishop
                Member: NRA Life, CRPA, WEGC

                Comment

                • bigbob76
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2007
                  • 3954

                  Originally posted by BuckTurgidson
                  Would be very interested in how you can be certain from the evidence presented in the video - a spot of concentrated spray in the snow - that the victim actually deployed the spray at the attacking bear.
                  Are you an attorney or something?
                  If you can't explain it simply you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein

                  Comment

                  • BuckTurgidson
                    Junior Member
                    • Jun 2010
                    • 36

                    Originally posted by bigbob76
                    Are you an attorney or something?
                    No, but I play one on TV.

                    Comment

                    • Flouncer
                      Senior Member
                      • May 2010
                      • 1309

                      Sssst !!



                      Shoot a Bear, go to jail. Or at least pay a fine, lose your toy. Are you guys serious ??

                      A Nation of Sheep Will Beget a Government of Wolves

                      Comment

                      • mif_slim
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Apr 2008
                        • 10089

                        ^ wait, black bear are on the endanger list?!?

                        how come dfg sells tags for them?!? it must be black market. lol
                        Originally posted by Gottmituns
                        It's not protecting the rights of the 1%, it's IMPOSING new laws because of the 1%.

                        Comment

                        • Flouncer
                          Senior Member
                          • May 2010
                          • 1309

                          Not Serious

                          Did the OP mention anything about hunting bear in season with a license and a tag ???
                          A Nation of Sheep Will Beget a Government of Wolves

                          Comment

                          • k1dude
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • May 2009
                            • 15929

                            Originally posted by Flouncer
                            Did the OP mention anything about hunting bear in season with a license and a tag ???
                            Defending yourself against an attacking bear will not get you in trouble with the law.
                            "Show me a young conservative and I'll show you a man without a heart. Show me an old liberal and I'll show you a man without a brain." - Sir Winston Churchill

                            "I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater

                            Comment

                            • bigbob76
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2007
                              • 3954

                              Originally posted by Flouncer


                              Shoot a Bear, go to jail. Or at least pay a fine, lose your toy. Are you guys serious ??

                              Come on Flouncer, this is the internet. Do you think anybody would BS you? It's all true, the check is in the mail, the house is paid for, it's only a cold sore.
                              If you can't explain it simply you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein

                              Comment

                              • tbhracing
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2008
                                • 5523

                                I love you, the check is in the mail and I wont...you know the rest.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1